Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What makes a good theme?  (Read 5997 times)

Brandon Brooks

What makes a good theme?
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2004, 05:28:41 PM »
Barry/Kennedy.

Brandon Brooks

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
What makes a good theme?
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2004, 05:35:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Sep 23 2004, 04:28 PM\'] Barry/Kennedy. [/quote]
 It may not have fit the show, but I always thought the theme was catchy (it wasn't in my top-5, but it was still catchy nonetheless).

But it's all in the eye of the beholder anyway (to mangle that well-worn cliche).  That's why there's vanilla and that's why there's chocolate.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
What makes a good theme?
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2004, 05:53:42 PM »
>> It may not have fit the show, but I always thought the theme was catchy (it wasn't in my top-5, but it was still catchy nonetheless).

But it's all in the eye of the beholder anyway (to mangle that well-worn cliche). That's why there's vanilla and that's why there's chocolate.

I, for one, like that theme, and I wish I could find a better copy of it. It may not have fit the show.

Anyway, I've noticed that most of the time, GS music seems to somewhat reflect regular music of the time. And since most current pop [and most other genres] just plain sucks, well, it seems a lot of GS themes do as well.

EDIT: I just got done listening to the Lingo Season 3 theme, and somehow, I'm surprised this one hasn't been brought up as an example. Sure, it's almost fully synthesized, but at least it has a melody.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 08:57:38 PM by Chief-O »
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
What makes a good theme?
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2004, 09:49:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' date=\'Sep 23 2004, 04:53 PM\'] and I wish I could find a better copy of it. It may not have fit the show.

[/quote]
 Is the Barry/Kennedy theme not on the GSN CD?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

zachhoran

What makes a good theme?
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2004, 09:52:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Sep 23 2004, 08:49 PM\']
Is the Barry/Kennedy theme not on the GSN CD? [/quote]
 A less than stellar sound quality version of Stu Levin's theme for said show is on Jake and Co.'s second CD.

Ian Wallis

What makes a good theme?
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2004, 09:08:47 AM »
A less than stellar sound quality version of Stu Levin's theme for said show is on Jake and Co.'s second CD.

There's also a copy in the trade curciut which sounds like it came from a vinyl album.  That copy is actually in much better quality.

I'm surprised to hear opinions that it didn't fit the show - I think it fit beautifully.  I couldn't even imagine the show without that theme!  I always thought the whole on air package of '76 "Break the Bank" was great - too bad the show didn't last longer.

I guess it really is in the eye of the beholder...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Brandon Brooks

What makes a good theme?
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2004, 09:25:56 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Sep 24 2004, 08:08 AM\']  I always thought the whole on air package of '76 "Break the Bank" was great - too bad the show didn't last longer.

I guess it really is in the eye of the beholder... [/quote]
No, it was a good show.  I just didn't care for the theme because I thought it didn't fit.

Brandon Brooks
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 09:26:34 AM by Brandon Brooks »

DrBear

What makes a good theme?
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2004, 12:19:21 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Sep 23 2004, 02:37 PM\'] I think a good theme, should not only be catchy and one that you often times play in your head, but it should also be a theme that the average person, even one that doesn't watch game shows a whole lot would recognize when played by itself.

For example, you could play the Price is Right, Jeopardy, or classic Family Feud themes, and just about everyone you ask would be able to tell you the show it's from. On the other hand, you could play a theme such as Hot Potato, and I would bet the average person wouldn't have a clue as to what show it's from. [/quote]
 I think that's more a reflection on the longevity of the shows than the catchiness of the theme. We've had 30 years of TPIR, more of J! (with the use of the theme as think music in the Fleming days) and so on.

At its base, a theme should establish a mood, which is (for game shows) almost always upbeat; an exception could be made for shows trying to establish a darker mood such as Millionaire that are trying to proclaim it's a BIG EVENT. (Which Millionaire was in its early incarnation; now, the theme is established enough that the familiar daily version can keep it without seeming too pompous).

That's why the theme for Donny's Pyramid didn't work; you can't make a big event out of an Osmond, and Pyramid was too familiar. It needed uptempo.  (And I will probably get hammered by the Compose-A-Matic 3000 for misuse of that word).

Let's look at the many themes of TTTT for an example.
1. CBS Original — string filled and swooping, with the ascending music for the introduction of the contestants, fitting the mock-courtroom setting and Bud Collyer's formality.
2. TTTT 7X - Much more informal, fitting the mod set and Garry Moore's nice-guy, joking persona. I'll leave the singing out of this.
3. TTTT 80 - Bland Disco for a disco set and bland version of the show.
4. TTTT 90 - A remake of the 7X theme (familiarity for a familiar game) made a bit more dignified
5. TTTT 2K - Jazzy and uptempo for a show that tried for more comedy.

So that's the plan, anyway. Of course, you can always finds something that breaks the rules and succeeds.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

ITSBRY

What makes a good theme?
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2004, 12:53:35 PM »
I'll chime in and agree that how the theme fits with the show is the most important thing.  Couple of examples...

1. The classic Feud theme just didn't work on Karn's Feud.  I actually found it kind of distracting and therefore unenjoyable in that setting.

2. The theme to the most current TTTT revival is an awesome theme in and of itself...one of the best of the more recently produced themes, I think.  Now, I never saw the actual show, but knowing the kind of show that TTTT is, I'm guessing that the theme didn't 'fit'.  Just a guess.  I think it could work for a MG revival though.

In short, I think the composition can be 'good', but if it doesn't fit the mood of the show, it doesn't work.  If it doesn't work...it's a bad theme (for the show anyway).

Of course, this is all opinion based in the end, so arguing about it is pointless...but it is an interesting topic nonetheless.

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 12:59:25 PM by ITSBRY »

Clay Zambo

What makes a good theme?
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2004, 09:01:29 AM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Sep 24 2004, 11:19 AM\'] At its base, a theme should establish a mood, which is (for game shows) almost always upbeat; an exception could be made for shows trying to establish a darker mood such as Millionaire that are trying to proclaim it's a BIG EVENT. [/quote]

I'd go farther than that and say everything should work to establish the same mood.  The set should look like the music sounds like the host's wardrobe like the game itself.

(Which Millionaire was in its early incarnation; now, the theme is established enough that the familiar daily version can keep it without seeming too pompous).

It's also been remixed to seem perkier, it seems to me.  The high-level questions have the darkest, or most "serious"-sounding music, which is appropriate, given the prizes involved.

That's why the theme for Donny's Pyramid didn't work; you can't make a big event out of an Osmond, and Pyramid was too familiar. It needed uptempo.  (And I will probably get hammered by the Compose-A-Matic 3000 for misuse of that word).

(Putting hammer down)

There was music on Donny's Pyramid?  I vaguely recall hearing drums, bleeps and splats, but that's about it.  :)  Strictly speaking, it was "uptempo," but if it had a recognizable, memorable, "hummable" hook, I'm doggoned if I could find it.

The less-than-appropriateness of Pyramid's dark, techno-looking set has already been discussed, but it feeds into this thread as well.  The set didn't look like the host, in a manner of speaking.

(Taking up hammer again, on behalf of a friend with a crush)  Hey, an Osmond is always a big event!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2004, 09:06:11 AM by Clay Zambo »
czambo@mac.com

BrandonFG

What makes a good theme?
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2004, 03:08:49 PM »
(Putting hammer down)

There was music on Donny's Pyramid?  I vaguely recall hearing drums, bleeps and splats, but that's about it.  :)  Strictly speaking, it was "uptempo," but if it had a recognizable, memorable, "hummable" hook, I'm doggoned if I could find it.

The less-than-appropriateness of Pyramid's dark, techno-looking set has already been discussed, but it feeds into this thread as well.  The set didn't look like the host, in a manner of speaking.

(Taking up hammer again, on behalf of a friend with a crush)  Hey, an Osmond is always a big event!
WinTuition theme - horn line = Pyramid "theme"
« Last Edit: September 25, 2004, 03:09:36 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

uncamark

What makes a good theme?
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2004, 01:23:32 AM »
I'm one of the few people, or so it seems, who happens to like the theme and music package for "Balderdash"--and it's because it's brassy (with real instruments), it is catchy (if you hear enough of it) and it fits the show in that it's something that sounds like a theme for a comedy game show.  It wouldn't work for a more straightforward show, and yeah it's a little like a Tijuana pit band, but it works for "Balderdash."

In fact, the only cue that doesn't really work for me is the betting think cue--it just sounds a little too serious.  (I also liked the original answer reveal cue more than what they seem to be using now, which is just another version of the choice think cue.)

Don Howard

What makes a good theme?
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2004, 10:20:42 AM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Sep 23 2004, 03:37 PM\'] For example, you could play the Price is Right, Jeopardy, or classic Family Feud themes, and just about everyone you ask would be able to tell you the show it's from. On the other hand, you could play a theme such as Hot Potato, and I would bet the average person wouldn't have a clue as to what show it's from. [/quote]
If Hot Potato had a 20 or 30 year history like the other shows mentioned in the above quotation, that could have changed. Can you imagine someone whistling or humming that HP theme while skipping down the street? I think I'll try that today. The first person who says "that would be a funny" gets drenched with the squirt gun.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2004, 10:35:49 AM by Don Howard »

TimK2003

What makes a good theme?
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2004, 11:53:42 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Sep 24 2004, 08:08 AM\']
I'm surprised to hear opinions that it didn't fit the show - I think it fit beautifully.  I couldn't even imagine the show without that theme!  I always thought the whole on air package of '76 "Break the Bank" was great - too bad the show didn't last longer.
 [/quote]
 Maybe the '70's BTB theme was not a good choice for the Barry/Kennedy show -- *IF* it was played note for note as heard on the original version of the Game Show Themes CD #2.

However, what makes that theme 'rock' for me is that somebody over at Barry & Enright took the theme and "reworked" it to fit into the show's parameters. If you heard how the different parts of that theme were switched to fit the shows opening spiel, you'd see how a so-so song could be made even better.

(Anybody know who actually was responsible for that specific "B&E mix" on the show?)

I know there are other shows out there who only took out a section of an existing song and only used that section over and over as it's theme ("Jackpot", "$10K Pyramid"...), but were there any other game shows that re-worked the music as much as B&E did with Break The Bank?

Jimmy Owen

What makes a good theme?
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2004, 12:14:31 PM »
On the CD, there is much more "opening vamp" on "Split Second" than I recall ever hearing on the air. You've probably noticed that many, if not most, of the H-Q shows had very short opening "themes," that ended cold. The closing themes would be longer, different arrangements.  On the first CD, you might want to call it "The Wizard of Odds Suite," as it seemed to be pieced together from various cues.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.