Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tonight Show 50th Anniversary  (Read 4616 times)

sshuffield70

Tonight Show 50th Anniversary
« on: September 28, 2004, 12:18:24 AM »
(okay maybe not everywhere, but there were many as we know.......besides you all know I normally don't start threads anyway......)

Steve Allen - IGAS
Gene Rayburn - (insert favorite Rayburn show here)
Regis Philbin (page) - Millionaire

Johnny Carson and Ed McMahon - had finished "Who Do You Trust" when they took over.

Any others anyone knows??

davemackey

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 12:28:06 AM »
Lest we turn this into "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon", I do know this.

Hugh Downs was an announcer on "Tonight Show" and actually briefly took over as host while Jack Paar walked off the show in the wake of the famous "w.c." joke.

Milton DeLugg was bandleader for a year or so in 1967, in between Skitch Henderson and Doc Severinsen.

Lead trombonist in the Severinsen band was Gil Falco, who was in the band on at two different incarnations of "Name That Tune" and "Face The Music". The one time I saw Johnny's "Tonight Show" live, I was in awe of the full sound the band got with only three trombones (the other two were Ernie Tack and Bruce Paulson).

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 05:17:53 AM »
Johnny had many, many game show-related guests over the years, but I especially like the fact that he booked Kitty Carlisle Hart when she was doing her book tour. He sat next to her on the TTTT panel for a while.

Don Howard

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 08:35:49 AM »
We'll add these:
Ed McMahon announced on Two For The Money, hosted Concentration, Missing Links, Snap Judgment and Whodunit, and Jack Paar emceed Bank On The Stars

zachhoran

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 09:35:11 AM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Sep 27 2004, 11:18 PM\']

Steve Allen - IGAS

Johnny Carson and Ed McMahon - had finished "Who Do You Trust" when they took over.

Any others anyone knows?? [/quote]
 The game show ties aren't as strong as the people previously mentioned, but Jay Leno did at least one week each of MGHS Hour and Tattletales(with wife Mavis) c. 1983-84.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2004, 09:50:19 AM »
Tom Poston and Pat Harrington Jr. were part of Allen's stock company. Jack Lescoulie (who hosted between Allen and Parr Jan -July 57) co-hosted the late-50's version of "Brains and Brawn." and Hy Gardner from the same era was a regular on TTTT for the first few years.  Cliff Arquette was a regular  with Jack Parr.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2004, 12:45:59 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Sep 28 2004, 09:35 AM\'] [quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Sep 27 2004, 11:18 PM\']

Steve Allen - IGAS

Any others anyone knows?? [/quote]
The game show ties aren't as strong as the people previously mentioned, but Jay Leno did at least one week each of MGHS Hour and Tattletales(with wife Mavis) c. 1983-84. [/quote]
 Wasn't Leno in a square for at least a week during the original Squares, around 1979?

Doc Severinsen was on Squares several times as well.  GSN aired some shows with Severinsen a few years ago.

Joan Rivers...I think everybody knows her ties to The Tonight Show and Squares.

Carol Wayne (Celebrity Sweepstakes) and Teresa Ganzel ($1.98 Beauty Show contestant and frequent celeb on several shows in the 80s) were both sidekicks to Carson for the "Art Fern's Tea Time Movie" segments.

Finally, let's not forget Kevin Eubanks, the current bandleader, was a panelist for a week on Match Game in 1998.  On second thought, let's forget about that one.

zachhoran

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2004, 12:53:51 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Sep 28 2004, 11:45 AM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Sep 28 2004, 09:35 AM\'] [quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Sep 27 2004, 11:18 PM\']

Steve Allen - IGAS

Wasn't Leno in a square for at least a week during the original Squares, around 1979?

Doc Severinsen was on Squares several times as well.  GSN aired some shows with Severinsen a few years ago.

Joan Rivers...I think everybody knows her ties to The Tonight Show and Squares.

Carol Wayne (Celebrity Sweepstakes) and Teresa Ganzel ($1.98 Beauty Show contestant and frequent celeb on several shows in the 80s) were both sidekicks to Carson for the "Art Fern's Tea Time Movie" segments.

[/quote]
 McMahon did all versions of Squares save MGHS. Not sure on the Leno appearance on Marshall HS. Carson did a cameo on the Davidson HSq pilot.

Did Tommy Newsom do a Marshall Squares appearance?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2004, 01:37:05 PM »
Another good question would be, How many, if any, game shows taped in the same studio as the "Tonight" show?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2004, 01:43:34 PM »
IIRC, they said on the "Today" show yesterday that the Tonight Show was shot in 6B during its NY days. Don't know which game shows shot there at all [I would guess "Concentration", but don't trust me on that]. They shot in Studio 1 when they moved to Burbank, and I can guarantee a few shows came from there: Some "Super Password" eps had Bert mention that they were in Carson's studio that day.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2004, 01:45:21 PM by Chief-O »
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2004, 02:12:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Sep 28 2004, 12:37 PM\'] Another good question would be, How many, if any, game shows taped in the same studio as the "Tonight" show? [/quote]
The current TONIGHT SHOW is at Studio 3, and I know of a few shows that taped there:

HSq (Marshall)
CLASSIC CONCENTRATION (Trebek had guested on Leno and mentioned about he used to work CC "right in this studio")
TTTT90 (shame this wasn't salvaged when we moved from Usenet to EZBoard [due to time and space limitations on EZBoard], but Randy West had told us a great story chronicling his appearance on TTTT90 and mentioning that the show had taped at Studio 3)

This page shows that GONG taped at NBC's four major studios at one time or another (including studios 1 [Carson (1972-92)/Leno (1992-94)] and 3 (Leno [1994-present]).  My guess is that most, if not all, NBC game shows from beautiful downtown Burbank (again, I just like the LAUGH-IN reference), probably taped in 3 at some point.

Doug -- and the countdown to 700 continues
« Last Edit: September 28, 2004, 02:15:02 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

sshuffield70

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2004, 02:19:03 PM »
Well, if we're talking about studios.....I'm sure a certain friend of ours can say he was in Studio 1 for TWL.

When I was formulating the original post, I was thinking more along the lines of announcers and hosts for game shows.  I wasn't thinking guest shots on other shows.  It was kinda neat to hear Geneius (circa 1954) doing one of those questions that became kind of a regular staple on the 70s MG.

BrandonFG

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2004, 03:09:18 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Sep 28 2004, 11:45 AM\'] Finally, let's not forget Kevin Eubanks, the current bandleader, was a panelist for a week on Match Game in 1998.  On second thought, let's forget about that one. [/quote]
 Didn't Eubanks do a week of Bergeron eps. as well? I could've sworn I saw him during one of the Whoopi seasons.

BTW, Doc Severensen did some Davidson HSq as well.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

tommycharles

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2004, 04:48:32 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Sep 28 2004, 02:09 PM\'] Didn't Eubanks do a week of Bergeron eps. as well? I could've sworn I saw him during one of the Whoopi seasons.
 [/quote]
 He's done *some* squares, although I've got a strong feeling it was the Winkler seasons, not Whoopi.

uncamark

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2004, 06:45:54 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Sep 28 2004, 11:53 AM\']Did Tommy Newsom do a Marshall Squares appearance?[/quote]
He very well may have--I do recall him doing "All-Star Secrets" one week.  The thought of "Mr. Excitement," as Johnny often called him, having *any* secrets boggles the mind.