Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPiR Pricing Games...  (Read 7488 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
TPiR Pricing Games...
« on: October 01, 2004, 03:23:40 AM »
If you could eliminate one game, which game would you eliminate, and for what reason? (I don't like the game is not a good reason).

My personal choices would be:
Plinko: This game is worn and tired. The crowd gets over-hyped over a near-impossible cash prize.  Joe Idiot can win $10,000 for doing nothing, while some poor schmuck playing Punchboard can win $50, despite getting all 4 prizes right.
Pick-A-Number: The game sucks, and offers no excitement, from either the set or the game format.  Game appears to have been created in 5 minutes.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPiR Pricing Games...
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 03:41:37 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Oct 1 2004, 12:23 AM\']If you could eliminate one game, which game would you eliminate, and for what reason? (I don't like the game is not a good reason).
[snapback]59115[/snapback]
[/quote]

...and then you go on to list a bunch of games and basically say you don't like them.

When it boils down, EVERY reason ends up being a flavor of "I don't like the game". I'm sure there's a clown out there who actually DOES like Joker, but I bet it would make a lot of people's lists.

And you'd be a fool to axe Plinko. The fans watching on TV eat it up just as much as the studio audience. You're alienating millions of viewers.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SamPrainito

TPiR Pricing Games...
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004, 04:35:09 AM »
I would eliminate "On The Spot."  

After this much time in the pricing game rotation. contestants still seem to be easliy confused by a rather simple game.  For example, today's (9/30) contestant looked to the audience for help just trying to decide which path to take!  Not only that, but the small prize descriptions, and in some cases, the game play itself (contestant uses all 3 paths) can eat up alot of precious time.

As for eliminating, "Pick-A-Number", the game serves a purpose.  It's there as a back-up 4 digit game, just like "Money Game" is a back-up for the car games.

Craig Karlberg

TPiR Pricing Games...
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 04:45:59 AM »
How can Any Number be a back-up  4-digit game when it's exclusively played for a car, a 3-digit prize & the piggy bank?

Anyway, here's which games I'd axe:

On The Spot:  Not only is it confusing & time consuming, I just don't like the color scheme at all.  If the colors were more bolder, maybe I'll tolerate it better.

Joker:  It's basically set up so that even if you discard all 4 cards, there's always the possibility that the Joker is still there not discarded(Similar story with Secret X where the placement of all 3 Xs may not yield a tic-tac-toe win on the board).

whewfan

TPiR Pricing Games...
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 05:32:28 AM »
I would retire Secret X. Virtually every contestant that plays the game knows how to set up the board to give him a 2 in 3 shot of finding the secret X. (Well, one contestant tried to pull a fast one by getting 3 in a row vertically) Still, it serves it's purpose as a relatively quick pricing game.

I think they were right to put Time is Money on the shelf... the first version, where the player was not told how many he/she got right, just didn't work. Still, I think they should've kept the money voucher.

If/when Penny Ante does return, I think they could stick with something close to the original design, but instead of having a flap that conceals a "Yes" or "No", they should simply have a light surrounding the price that blinks when it's right, followed by the bells. (the original design did have a light around the price, but it lit up whether it was right or wrong)

rigsby

TPiR Pricing Games...
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2004, 08:38:34 AM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Oct 1 2004, 04:32 AM\'](Well, one contestant tried to pull a fast one by getting 3 in a row vertically)
[snapback]59121[/snapback]
[/quote]

I always wondered if anyone tried that...did they succeed?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
TPiR Pricing Games...
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2004, 08:46:11 AM »
I would choose to tweak some games (there's precedent for it) rather than pitch some:

Plinko: No free chip, top slot of $5,000.
You can't axe Plinko, it *is* TPIR.

Penny Ante: Make it a table game, like Pick-a-Pair.
It's a nice quick game, and it rewards knowing the exact prices.

On the Spot: Instead of for a car, play for an "orange" prize (from the MB box game.)
Way too easy for a car, and there are far better car games out there.

Rather than tossing a bunch of games, (yeah, I have a few I'd pitch, but for no other reason than "I don't like it.") I would put a moratorium on new games.  Honestly, we didn't need 'Half Off', there are plenty of cash games already.  There are 70 in the mix, we don't need 100.
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

passwordplus

TPiR Pricing Games...
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2004, 08:53:25 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Oct 1 2004, 08:46 AM\']I would choose to tweak some games (there's precedent for it) rather than pitch some:

Plinko: No free chip, top slot of $5,000.
You can't axe Plinko, it *is* TPIR.

Penny Ante: Make it a table game, like Pick-a-Pair.
It's a nice quick game, and it rewards knowing the exact prices.

On the Spot: Instead of for a car, play for an "orange" prize (from the MB box game.)
Way too easy for a car, and there are far better car games out there.

Rather than tossing a bunch of games, (yeah, I have a few I'd pitch, but for no other reason than "I don't like it.") I would put a moratorium on new games.  Honestly, we didn't need 'Half Off', there are plenty of cash games already.  There are 70 in the mix, we don't need 100.
[snapback]59133[/snapback]
[/quote]

Pathfinder gets my vote 'cuz it seems too damn hard to win(even for a contestant who has a half a clue of how to play the game), and even if they do get to the last digit with no chances remaining, it comes down to the zero or a 5. Not really a good game IMHO.

Joker might be my 2nd one, I don't really despise it, but it is really dull to watch anyways.

zachhoran

TPiR Pricing Games...
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2004, 09:07:47 AM »
I always wondered if anyone tried that...did they succeed?

The times that someone tried that, Bob usually warns against it. He also tries to discourage a player putting an X in one of the middle row squares, as the chances of winning decreases to 1/3 at best.

starcade

TPiR Pricing Games...
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2004, 10:04:29 AM »
"Clock Game"  -- Outdated and far too low value of prizes to make it competitive with the rest of the games.  If you must keep it, make the bonus $5000.

"Check Game" -- Either get rid of it or require contestants to write down the rules of the game as an answer on their application to see if any of these goofballs in "PICK ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" shirts actually _watches the show_!

SamJ93

TPiR Pricing Games...
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2004, 10:12:36 AM »
I'll go with Travisand "tweak" some games as well.

Card Game:  Up the opening bid to $12K, please.  That would make it at least a little less tedious to watch.

Let 'Em Roll: Put simply, make the game harder to win.  Make the grocery item part harder, replace one of the cars on each die with a '0', whatever.

Secret X: Add a third small prize, eliminate the free X at the beginning, and make the Secret X more like the hidden bullseye in "Bullseye."  In other words, the contestant can guarantee a win if they get all 3 X's, just by placing them all in a row, but if they miss one, they can still win if they make 3-in-a-row via the Secret X.  Then again, maybe it's time to just retire it altogether.

Dice Game: Honestly, I can't think of a good way to improve this one, either.  Chances are they'd never just pitch it, though, so forget it.

--Sam
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

Neumms

TPiR Pricing Games...
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2004, 12:09:48 PM »
Get rid of Secret "X." Or else allow people to make the three-in-a-row vertically, which does involve a risk: if you don't win the third X, you've blown the game, rather than having the one-in-three chance.

Get rid of the Bonus Game. Once the bonus is lit, you realize that three of the items were played for no reason at all. Shell Game is the same concept, only more fun. (Especially with the old equipment.)

I've also hated "Hit Me." It's too easy if the contestant knows how to play, frustrating as all get out if he or she doesn't.

"Card Game" needs help. Now that the aces equal anything, the game is reduced to here, make a bid on this car. The game worked when cars costs $5000 because then you had to hone in on the price more closely.

Clock Game is kinda dumb, too, but it's a classic.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 12:11:30 PM by Neumms »

uncamark

TPiR Pricing Games...
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2004, 12:21:51 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Oct 1 2004, 07:46 AM\']Rather than tossing a bunch of games, (yeah, I have a few I'd pitch, but for no other reason than "I don't like it.") I would put a moratorium on new games.  Honestly, we didn't need 'Half Off', there are plenty of cash games already.  There are 70 in the mix, we don't need 100.
[snapback]59133[/snapback]
[/quote]

Seems to me that they wanted to go back to having enough cash games to do a different one each day for a week (and the cash games almost always get played once a week).  There's Plinko, Grand Game, It's in the Bag, Punch a Bunch--and Fortune Hunter didn't work, so there was an opening.  That's where Half Off came in.  I don't think they want any more than five cash games (Let 'em Roll doesn't count, since there's also the car).

Frank15

TPiR Pricing Games...
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2004, 01:11:18 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Oct 1 2004, 07:46 AM\']Penny Ante: Make it a table game, like Pick-a-Pair.  It's a nice quick game, and it rewards knowing the exact prices.[/quote]
Actually... no, it wasn't really that nice a game.  The gameplay itself was incredibly simple and dull.  What it was was a nice set.  I'd be willing to bet that most of the people who love Penny Ante loved it not for the gameplay itself, but for its ultra-cool set.  Without the set, there's not any worthwhile reason to bring Penny Ante back.  The set was the game.

GPeefalt

TPiR Pricing Games...
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2004, 01:45:18 PM »
Either Clearance Sale or Eazy Az 1-2-3, these are the same in form.
Bonus Game, Shell Game with no cash bonus and no choice from the contestant
Joker, just because it sucks