Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: An open apology to our British friends...  (Read 5393 times)

sshuffield70

An open apology to our British friends...
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2004, 02:07:52 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Oct 5 2004, 10:25 AM\']
Oh does BBC America have adverts because im guessing its a BBC Worldwide channel and needs to pay the Parent company BBC all its profits back into its cofers to pay for our TV

Yes, BBC America has ads during the shows. And the channel isn't entirely owned by the BBC; Discovery owns part of it.

[/quote]

Well, that explains how 4 BBC based shows ended up on TLC.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2004, 02:08:18 PM by sshuffield70 »

uncamark

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2004, 03:05:22 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Oct 5 2004, 01:07 PM\'][quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Oct 5 2004, 10:25 AM\']
Oh does BBC America have adverts because im guessing its a BBC Worldwide channel and needs to pay the Parent company BBC all its profits back into its cofers to pay for our TV

Yes, BBC America has ads during the shows. And the channel isn't entirely owned by the BBC; Discovery owns part of it.

[/quote]

Well, that explains how 4 BBC based shows ended up on TLC.
[snapback]59618[/snapback]
[/quote]

Although Endemol as the successor to Bazal owns the overseas format rights to "Changing Rooms," or "Trading Spaces" as our version is called--TLC licenses the format from Endemol (if they'd tried to originally license the format before Endemol acquired Bazal, I'm sure Endemol USA would've demanded co-production).

ObGameShow:  Endemol also acquired "Ready...Steady...Cook!" (change "Steady" to "Set" for American title) when they acquired Bazal.

sshuffield70

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2004, 06:54:15 PM »
Yeah, but we all know Endemol's real claim to fame here, and it ain't "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition".

davemackey

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2004, 07:11:04 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Oct 5 2004, 06:54 PM\']Yeah, but we all know Endemol's real claim to fame here, and it ain't "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition".
[snapback]59655[/snapback]
[/quote]

When I think of "Big Brother", I think the company should be called "End 'Em All".

sshuffield70

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2004, 08:19:50 PM »
Good one, Dave.  But I thought of one much sicker than BB.

johnnyd1788

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2004, 08:38:32 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Oct 3 2004, 09:50 PM\']
You cut church for a game show?
Think of it as substituting one religion for another.
[snapback]59446[/snapback]
[/quote]

I had already been there for the first service. We have 2 services. I usually stay for both, but today I wasn't up to myself so I went home early. Remembered DED was on around that time, but I missed it.

vtown7

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2004, 09:43:14 PM »
Canada has their own version of the BBC called "BBC Canada", but part of that channel's schedule includes Canadian produced programming (all repeats; many of them also seen on other channels), to meet the government-imposed "CanCon" requirements.

It's really a shame too.  I love "22 Minutes" but really do I need to see it on the Canadian Beeb when it's already on Showcase and CBC?  Me thinks not.

I've seen a couple of DED eps and they're great... but yet nothing here.  Not even Anne's link.  Sigh.

Ah well, at least BBC Kids picks up "The Raven", which isn't bad at all.  Right, Brig?

Ryan :)

JMFabiano

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2004, 12:04:42 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 3 2004, 11:04 PM\'][quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Oct 3 2004, 08:25 PM\']Just goes to show the old adage I've come up with: The Brits make 'em, and the Yanks break 'em (see also: AmeriCoupling, Avengers '98, Thunderbirds '04)
[snapback]59449[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yeah, well, they make better TV than we do, and we don't boil meat. :)
[snapback]59452[/snapback]
[/quote]

For the first part, it's indeed troo, troo, troo ;-)  As for the second part, sadly I have never tried British-style meat, so my opinion should remain mostly positive about our friends from across the pond
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Brig Bother

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2004, 05:14:28 AM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' date=\'Oct 6 2004, 01:43 AM\']
Ah well, at least BBC Kids picks up "The Raven", which isn't bad at all.  Right, Brig?

Ryan :)
[snapback]59673[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think it's slightly overrated by others, but there's a lot to like about it certainly.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 05:15:26 AM by Brig Bother »

GS Warehouse

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2004, 11:05:21 AM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Oct 6 2004, 12:04 AM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 3 2004, 11:04 PM\']Yeah, well, they make better TV than we do, and we don't boil meat. :)
[snapback]59452[/snapback]
[/quote]
For the first part, it's indeed troo, troo, troo ;-)  As for the second part, sadly I have never tried British-style meat, so my opinion should remain mostly positive about our friends from across the pond
[snapback]59689[/snapback]
[/quote]
Part 1: I wish I could see for myself.  Hopefully, after I move I'll get BBC America and see Anne at her nawstiest.  But when you consider some of the garbage we Americans have come up with, am I surprised at this kind of outsourcing?
Part 2: I boil chuck roast, and the result is one of the best things on earth.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 11:06:27 AM by GS Warehouse »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2004, 11:43:22 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Oct 6 2004, 08:05 AM\']Part 2: I boil chuck roast, and the result is one of the best things on earth.
[snapback]59715[/snapback]
[/quote]
Oof. And Bon Appetit to you, sir. Me, I prefer my dead cow with somewhat of a Maillard effect applied to it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2004, 02:31:42 PM »
I also noticed that BBCA's VOD program (for those of you in the digital and satellite world who have this) currently offers in its Kids section "The Shiny Show," which somehow I seem to recall Iain Weaver including in his Thursday posts to the Yahoo! UK game show group of programming for the week ahead.

Here's this week's BBC Kids VOD program guide and for the adults, here's the game show-free general BBCA VOD guide for this week, which doesn't seem to be much different than what BBCA already offers for your digital cable or satellite fee.