Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How Does you guys do it?!  (Read 3440 times)

happyattacks

How Does you guys do it?!
« on: September 29, 2004, 07:09:27 AM »
Hi Guys -

I've been a big Game Show fan for years, but one thing I never understood was how so many of you guys got so much great stuff from the past. I realize that it's common to "Trade" - but how the heck does a guy with just a handful of things ever get to see so much of this great stuff in the past when they have nothing to "Trade".

In other words, because I don't own any gems or much that hasn't been on GSN - I don't have the opportunity to trade for eps of LMAD 90 or an Ep of Play the Precentages or anything else I'd like to see - especially some really cool stuff from teh past. It's a frustrating. Is this making any sense? :) This isn't a critcism of anyone, just an observation. How does one build a collection if they don't have anything to trade?

Oh - and a Random thought - Why in the world is GSN showing that HORRIBLE 3's a crowd with Alan Thicke??? I woke up from a nap yesterday and - In my haze, I heard the familar tones of Mr. Thicke! YIKES - WHY WHY WHY? Show a decent show in that time slot!

Matt :)

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 01:54:33 PM »
If you're just wanting to build a library of vintage stuff, one off-net source many of us like is Shokus Video - www.shokus.com. They have a variety of old shows on tape and they're transferring many to DVD. I'm sure others around here have other good sources for people willing to buy shows to build a library. Tape trading discussions around here are a touchy subject because they sometimes lead to bad feelings and name calling, so if you're willing to buy to build, that could be a good start.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 02:06:47 PM »
Not wanting to speak for any of the traders, and not being a trader myself, I would be willing to guess that there are some benevolent souls who would be willing to help you get your collection started in exchange for a few blank tapes, just to get you off of the ground. Then you would have something to parlay into more tapes, and etc.

Also, I've noticed some posts from tapers who are in the process of transferring their collection to a digital format and looking to get their tapes to a good home, rather than just throwing them away. If you keep your eyes open, maybe you can come across some folks doing that, and get off of the ground that way.

Hopefully some of these folks will see this thread and drop you a private email, and you could get the ball rolling offline. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004, 05:42:02 PM »
[quote name=\'happyattacks\' date=\'Sep 29 2004, 06:09 AM\']Oh - and a Random thought - Why in the world is GSN showing that HORRIBLE 3's a crowd with Alan Thicke??? I woke up from a nap yesterday and - In my haze, I heard the familar tones of Mr. Thicke! YIKES - WHY WHY WHY? Show a decent show in that time slot![/quote]
Because they own it completely, it's only a few years old and it's already paid itself off, most likely--it's just pure profit for GSN.

MyCapableAssistant

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004, 08:07:31 PM »
To the OP: Thanks for asking the question! I've become *very*
cautious of asking questions around here lately for fear of becoming
flamed relentlessly!  

To  The Ol' Guy - Thanks for the site! Interesting stuff, lotsa B&W!

To Chris Lemon: Thanks for your suggestion as well.

Rastaub

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004, 08:57:01 PM »
Speaking as a trader who was in your shoes at one point, (4 years ago) I would recommend emailing various traders.  Because as Chris suggested, there are benevolant souls out there who try to help new traders. I've found that many a trader will do that, and I've found that people whose collections I have helped to start are kinder to me down the road.  

A question for everyone, does anyone know if the TVgameshows.com trading post is around anymore? I know that the page in no more, but I seem to have lost the link to the trade post, and unless Im an idiot, a google is yielding nothing.

adamjk

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2004, 08:59:38 PM »

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2004, 09:14:45 PM »
Thanks, MCA (you didn't know you were a media giant, did you?). I should have made it a bit clearer for the sake of our new friends that 80-90% of the Shokus stuff will be pre-1960 and a lot of it is in the public domain. Depending on your age and interest in game shows in general, you'll have to rely on the generosity of others if you consider 1970s-80s shows as "old" ;-) . Many of those are still locked up in rights and what we watch are usually episodes taped off-screen and shared by traders for non-profit enjoyment.
And keep something in mind - for a lot of people, dubbing is quite the time-consuming effort, usually done in real time - so if you get some "gifts" from good-hearted souls, be grateful.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 10:00:07 PM by The Ol' Guy »

MyCapableAssistant

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2004, 09:37:36 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Sep 29 2004, 07:14 PM\'] Thanks, MCA (you didn't know you were a media giant, did you?). [/quote]
 HA HA - That's funny!

The first time I saw a post in a thread with MCA
I thought: "what in thw World is this? Have a missed
something?" I reread the thread again and saw that
they were the initials of my name!

Like, if I were to respond to you, I'd call you:
TOG, which isn't too bad. But take a look at some
of the others in here!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2004, 09:38:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Rastaub\' date=\'Sep 29 2004, 05:57 PM\'] I would recommend emailing various traders. [/quote]
 I would suggest NOT doing that. I think a post in one of the accepted public locations is a much better idea...let the benevolent souls contact you. I know if I were in a trading biz and cluebies were constantly emailing me begging for freebies, I'd get pissed off pretty quick.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Rastaub

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2004, 09:56:07 PM »
Well,  

I didnt actually mean it in quite that way. What I meant was, propose a trade, and most traders will try to include a few bonuses. I'm in full agreement that you shouldnt email random traders asking for a tape of shows in return for nothing.

happyattacks

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2004, 09:31:33 AM »
Thank you for all the insight, guys. I appreciate it very much...

Guess I will see if anyone has some charity to offer! I don't mind paying someone for the service.

Should I try to track down someone with a list or just beg and plead here?! <Grins> Is there a collector registry or something like that?

Thanks again!

Matt :)

happyattacks@hotmail.com

TimK2003

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2004, 10:00:51 AM »
[quote name=\'happyattacks\' date=\'Oct 2 2004, 08:31 AM\']Thank you for all the insight, guys. I appreciate it very much...

Guess I will see if anyone has some charity to offer! I don't mind paying someone for the service.

Should I try to track down someone with a list or just beg and plead here?! <Grins> Is there a collector registry or something like that?

[snapback]59306[/snapback]
[/quote]
There are many ways to start building a collection with little or no episodes on you own:

1)  Go to Google or Yahoo, type in "Game Shows, Episodes, Trade".   You'll see an initial list of traders.  Look to see what they may trade for and/or their trading policies and start with the ones you feel would be more willing to trade with you, then drop them an e-mail.

1-a) Many of these same sites wil have links to other trader websites as well.

2) Keep checking around your local garage sales, flea markets, and Thrift shops (Goodwill).  Chances are slim to none you'll find any game show tapes, but you can usually find other items that depending on their condition and if they are "complete" with all original parts, pages, etc..., they may be some desirable "trade bait" that you can get show tapes for.  Some possible trade bait items include:

•     Old local & national TV Guides or other magazines -- especially any with covers, ads or articles on game shows.

•     Records, tapes, CDs of game show related artists, including anything by "The Cheers" (Burt Convy), "Avant Garde" (Chuck Woolery), or game show albums ("Zingers From The Hollywood Squares")

And the most common trade bait:

•  Game Show Home Games/Board Games. -- The Older, the Better.  Keep in mind, home games shold have most, if not all of the original pieces parts, and the box should still look like a decent box that is still together.

"This message was brought to you by the Game Show Preservation Society, The Ad Council, and This Station."
« Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 10:03:10 AM by TimK2003 »