Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: An open apology to our British friends...  (Read 5417 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
An open apology to our British friends...
« on: October 03, 2004, 08:33:19 PM »
On behalf of all Americans, we're sorry we mucked up Dog Eat Dog.

My Tivo caught an episode of this on BBC America for me, and WOW is the UK version better in just about all respects. Whereas we turned ours into an extreme version of Beat The Clock, the UK one has far more intelligent mental games, and delves into the "what did you learn about your opponents from the retreat" stuff a whole lot more. And the UK host isn't hard to look at, either.

If you get BBC America, I strongly recommend you give this a look. On the West Coast it airs at 8:00a on Sunday mornings, but as always, check your local listings...

Now if BBC America would just start airing any of the first four seasons of Crystal Maze... :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

johnnyd1788

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 08:59:34 PM »
I came home from church early this morning to go watch it. Once I turned it on, TWL was on. Crap! I missed it.

tommycharles

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 09:14:24 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 3 2004, 07:33 PM\']Now if BBC America would just start airing any of the first four seasons of Crystal Maze... :)
[snapback]59435[/snapback]
[/quote]

Chris -- how is it you've seen Crystal Maze, just out of curiousity? Has it ever been aired this side of the Atlantic?

clemon79

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2004, 10:12:50 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Oct 3 2004, 06:14 PM\']Chris -- how is it you've seen Crystal Maze, just out of curiousity? Has it ever been aired this side of the Atlantic?
[snapback]59439[/snapback]
[/quote]
A good friend of mine happened to have a couple of tapes of episodes, one of which he shared with us at our last gaming session. Saw 'em just the other day.

Don Howard

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 10:13:10 PM »
[quote name=\'johnnyd1788\' date=\'Oct 3 2004, 07:59 PM\']I came home from church early this morning to go watch it.
[snapback]59438[/snapback]
[/quote]

You cut church for a game show? You're jesting, of course.
Yes, indeed. Infinitely better than the Brooke Burns version, for sure for sure.
First The Saint, then The Avengers and now this. BBC America is getting more play at my house than GSN.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2004, 10:50:08 PM »
You cut church for a game show?
Think of it as substituting one religion for another.

tommycharles

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2004, 11:11:43 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 3 2004, 09:12 PM\']A good friend of mine happened to have a couple of tapes of episodes, one of which he shared with us at our last gaming session. Saw 'em just the other day.
[snapback]59441[/snapback]
[/quote]

Cool - I grew up watching that, it's one of those games that *any* generation could get into (and around my house, frequently did :-)).

Still remember the rather bizzare transition of hosts for the last two years...on Ed Tudor-Pole's first episode, they showed Richard O'Brian riding off the set on a motorcycle...

As to Dog Eat Dog, I cannot stand Ulrika Johnson. But I couldn't stand Brooke unless I muted the tv either... so it's equal to the US show in that regard and miles above it in all others.

JMFabiano

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2004, 11:25:25 PM »
Just goes to show the old adage I've come up with: The Brits make 'em, and the Yanks break 'em (see also: AmeriCoupling, Avengers '98, Thunderbirds '04)
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

clemon79

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2004, 12:04:39 AM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Oct 3 2004, 08:25 PM\']Just goes to show the old adage I've come up with: The Brits make 'em, and the Yanks break 'em (see also: AmeriCoupling, Avengers '98, Thunderbirds '04)
[snapback]59449[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yeah, well, they make better TV than we do, and we don't boil meat. :)

jdhernandez

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2004, 04:05:22 AM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Oct 3 2004, 08:14 PM\']
Chris -- how is it you've seen Crystal Maze, just out of curiousity? Has it ever been aired this side of the Atlantic?
[snapback]59439[/snapback]
[/quote]

Actually, there is at least one episode available for viewing at the MTR, AFAIK. There is one regular episode, and one special episode for viewing. I agree with Chris, that it is an excellent show....one I'm wishing would air one day on the BBC-A. Hmm....methinks a trip down there is on order....
-Jason Hernandez; aka "Dimples"

Tomarken: "...somebody else could do this job!"

Rod Roddy: "Yes, I'm afraid that's true."

~Rod making a joke after Peter complains that it's Labor Day and he shouldn't be working on Press Your Luck.

Brig Bother

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2004, 06:50:49 AM »
As I said in an earlier thread, the show really hits it's stride in series' two and three and loses its way a little for the fourth and final one. But I really loved DED at its peak.

I gather the Australian version (based on our original) was axed mid-series. A shame.

dickoon

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2004, 10:05:06 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 4 2004, 03:12 AM\']A good friend of mine happened to have a couple of tapes of episodes, one of which he shared with us at our last gaming session. Saw 'em just the other day.
[/quote]

Aha. So that's where those tapes have got to and who's seeing them these days. :-)

Seeing The Crystal Maze on BBC America is theoretically possible - after all, So Graham Norton is a So Television production that appeared on Channel 4, and Without Prejudice? is a 12 Yard production that, too, appeared on 4. One would expect that The Crystal Maze would have a pretty good degree of international appeal, too. If BBC America did want it, it would just come down to agreeing a price between themselves and Chatsworth Television.

You can but trade, hope and dream...
Chris

remlap

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2004, 10:56:50 AM »
[quote name=\'dickoon\' date=\'Oct 5 2004, 03:05 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 4 2004, 03:12 AM\']A good friend of mine happened to have a couple of tapes of episodes, one of which he shared with us at our last gaming session. Saw 'em just the other day.
[/quote]

Aha. So that's where those tapes have got to and who's seeing them these days. :-)

Seeing The Crystal Maze on BBC America is theoretically possible - after all, So Graham Norton is a So Television production that appeared on Channel 4, and Without Prejudice? is a 12 Yard production that, too, appeared on 4. One would expect that The Crystal Maze would have a pretty good degree of international appeal, too. If BBC America did want it, it would just come down to agreeing a price between themselves and Chatsworth Television.

You can but trade, hope and dream...
Chris
[snapback]59604[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ive never liked dog eat dog dont know why just dont.

Oh does BBC America have adverts because im guessing its a BBC Worldwide channel and needs to pay the Parent company BBC all its profits back into its cofers to pay for our TV

Also Father Ted and faking it are a Channel 4 show to from what I see on BBC America's website

Id like to see what you lot think of the comedy Little Britian.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2004, 11:01:33 AM by remlap »

rugrats1

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2004, 11:25:13 AM »
Oh does BBC America have adverts because im guessing its a BBC Worldwide channel and needs to pay the Parent company BBC all its profits back into its cofers to pay for our TV

Yes, BBC America has ads during the shows. And the channel isn't entirely owned by the BBC; Discovery owns part of it.

Also Father Ted and faking it are a Channel 4 show to from what I see on BBC America's website

At least they're British.

Canada has their own version of the BBC called "BBC Canada", but part of that channel's schedule includes Canadian produced programming (all repeats; many of them also seen on other channels), to meet the government-imposed "CanCon" requirements.

remlap

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2004, 11:34:39 AM »
Ive always wondered how Flextech who operates a group of channels that show repeats of BBC shows with adds and still make it 30 when its 30s minutes on the BBC

That be the same in the states

Also thats a BBC worldwide partly operated channel to, so is BBC internet funnily enough in the 80s BBC supplied computers which I find hilarious that they cant suply internet connections
« Last Edit: October 05, 2004, 11:35:33 AM by remlap »