Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Reflections on the 6/14 schudule  (Read 5308 times)

The Pyramids

Reflections on the 6/14 schudule
« on: September 28, 2004, 07:14:33 PM »
I don't want to get into a 'GSN' bashing round here becasue I really do like the obstensible schedule for the rest of the year (including more original 'Black Jack & Dodgeball) . I wish something like 'LMAD or '$100,000 Pyramid' could start the day in lieu of 'Star Search' but nothing is perfect.

In fact just how long was that 6/14 line-up intact? As I recall the first chink in the armor was 'Lingo' going in for 'The Mole' Sundays. Soon thereafter 'Star Search' got bumped from the prime time hour it was playing in some parts of the country.

Early July a mini 'Lingo' marathon was on a Saturday. 'Greek Games' came and went w/ no fanfare. By mid-July the 'Kenny vs. Spenny' promos had disapeared.

Late July, and I can remember scanning the prime time listings on my Saturday morning paper and finding this, 'Feud', 'Match Game' and 'Newlywed Game' were hastily returned to Saturdays.

August saw Kenny and Darva gone from prime time, and later on Rich Cronin was quoted in an AP story how reality did poorly for the network over the summer.

I wonder what's comming.

The Pyramids

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 06:24:40 PM »
I forgott 'Last Action Hero,' sent the near-midnight Fridays not long after its launch.

Linkbowler

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2004, 10:18:59 PM »
You mean "Next Action Star"? Last Action Hero was an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 08:56:23 AM »
In fact just how long was that 6/14 line-up intact?

How long are any cable lineups intact these days?  Currently, my favorite channel is TVLand - and they seem to change their schedule just about every month.  These schedules - both GSN and TVLand - are changed far more frequently than they ever used to be - and sometimes it's hard to keep up with!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

CaseyAbell

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 09:06:44 AM »
GSN's current schedule will last all of two weeks, until next week's debuts of Celeb Blackjack, Dodgeball and WBSM. As many have cautioned, stay tuned.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 09:11:05 AM by CaseyAbell »

aaron sica

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 10:18:18 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Oct 6 2004, 08:56 AM\']
How long are any cable lineups intact these days?  Currently, my favorite channel is TVLand - and they seem to change their schedule just about every month.  These schedules - both GSN and TVLand - are changed far more frequently than they ever used to be - and sometimes it's hard to keep up with!
[snapback]59707[/snapback]

Seems like in the "old days" of GSN, the first schedule was intact from shortly after its inception (not counting the launch, in which they showed one episode of a show from their library), to 1/1/96, when they changed it around.

I long for the days when the NETWORK daytime lineups were always changing. Now, they've mostly stayed intact for years:

CBS's daytime lineup (from 11am-on) has not changed since 3/23/87;
ABC's daytime lineup (from 1pm-4pm) has not changed since 1/16/78;

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 11:31:55 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Oct 6 2004, 07:18 AM\']CBS's daytime lineup (from 11am-on) has not changed since 3/23/87;
ABC's daytime lineup (from 1pm-4pm) has not changed since 1/16/78;
[snapback]59714[/snapback]
[/quote]
Not to put too fine a point on it, but why WOULD you? The windows you cite house six of the longest-running soap operas (Bold & Beautiful being the newcomer on the block, and even that's been on for quite some time now) in the history of their respective networks. I wouldn't touch them either.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

adamjk

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2004, 12:16:44 PM »
Not to mention the longest running, and ONLY daytime game show left on one of the big three networks.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2004, 08:47:39 AM »
Seems like in the "old days" of GSN, the first schedule was intact from shortly after its inception (not counting the launch, in which they showed one episode of a show from their library), to 1/1/96, when they changed it around.

You're right about that.  When GSN first went on the air on Dec 1, 1994, they didn't change their schedule for 13 months.  After Jan 1, 1996, their next major change was Dec 9, 1996, which saw the debut of "The Price is Right", among other changes.  Then it changed on Oct 11, 1997, then again on Apr 18, 1998.

The changes came a lot more frequently after they'd been on the air for a while.
NEW LOCATION!!!

aaron sica

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2004, 02:25:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Oct 7 2004, 08:47 AM\']You're right about that.  When GSN first went on the air on Dec 1, 1994, they didn't change their schedule for 13 months.  After Jan 1, 1996, their next major change was Dec 9, 1996, which saw the debut of "The Price is Right", among other changes.  Then it changed on Oct 11, 1997, then again on Apr 18, 1998.

The changes came a lot more frequently after they'd been on the air for a while.
[snapback]59844[/snapback]
[/quote]

I believe that was the "announced" debut of TPiR.......It was a very exciting time when I first got DISH Network to be able to get GSN.....I'd tune in for "Prime Games" all ready to see MG and FF, and they'd spring a surprise episode of an hourlong Barker TPiR....

Or on Saturday morning, I'd be expecting to see a block of TJW, TTD and CS, and instead, got an hour and a half block of TPiR - one Cullen ep, one Kennedy ep, one hourlong Barker ep....

Those were the days....

The Pyramids

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2004, 06:00:25 PM »
I did not have the network then, but I'd say those indeed  were the days.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2004, 08:53:22 AM »
Or on Saturday morning, I'd be expecting to see a block of TJW, TTD and CS, and instead, got an hour and a half block of TPiR - one Cullen ep, one Kennedy ep, one hourlong Barker ep....

Those were the days....

Indeed.  "The Price is Right" was actually given many "previews" before it hit the regular GSN schedule.  

Just about every schedule change was announced by the network well before it happened - but the Dec 1996 change was very abrupt and nobody seemed to know about it.  I don't' believe their schedule was posted on the web at that time.  I got home from work at 5 that day, surprised to find "Joker's Wild" and "Tic Tac Dough" on instead of what I thought should be on.   The program description on my C-band satellite still had the old schedule.  It wasn't until they did their "coming up next" bumper that I realized "Price is Right" had joined the permanent schedule, and I had just two minutes to find a tape with enough free space on it to record the first hour-long episode, which they aired at 6 that day.

Those were fun times!
NEW LOCATION!!!

The Pyramids

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2004, 10:07:43 AM »
Again I don't want to get into a round of GSN bashing again.

But regarding schudules, the line-up one year is worth remebering. The 'Sunday Night Buzz' , '21' marathon, &  'Who Wants to Be Govenor..' had all come and gone.  The network had  passed on the 'Scrabble' remake.

The new line-up was surprisingly conservative w/ the major addition of 'Millionaire',new 'Lingo' shortly but little else.

In hindsight do you think you could hear tremors in the distance? You bet.