Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alex Boorstein Gone From Blackjack?  (Read 5491 times)

CaseyAbell

Alex Boorstein Gone From Blackjack?
« on: October 07, 2004, 03:20:55 PM »
Looks like GSN decided to get rid of the third wheel on the bike. Matt Vasgersian and Dave Stann will handle all the hosting duties on the second season of Celeb Blackjack, if the press release is to be believed. Alex was almost invisible and inaudible on the first series, anyway.

Jeff Probst on the first show? Expect a few vote-off groaners.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 03:22:22 PM by CaseyAbell »

itiparanoid13

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 04:07:01 PM »
I believe that she is not on season 2, no.  It's a shame.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 05:07:50 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Oct 7 2004, 01:07 PM\']I believe that she is not on season 2, no.  It's a shame.
[snapback]59892[/snapback]
[/quote]
No, it really isn't. She was a total waste of space on what ended up being a surprisingly good show. She was horrible as a color commentator (no surprise that, since she's a comedienne and not a sports broadcaster), and most of her "lines" were clearly scripted. No spontenaety whatsoever.

And if this gives Stann (and I can't believe I'm saying this) more mic time to offer intelligent blackjack advice and do pleasant schtick with the players, then it will improve the program that much more. On the other hand, if giving Stann more airtime turns him back into Hollywood Dave, we could have problems. Time will tell.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 05:09:04 PM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Oct 7 2004, 03:20 PM\']Looks like GSN decided to get rid of the third wheel on the bike. Matt Vasgersian and Dave Stann will handle all the hosting duties on the second season of Celeb Blackjack, if the press release is to be believed. Alex was almost invisible and inaudible on the first series, anyway.[/quote]
This just screams "mutual agreement".  As we've discussed earlier, Alex wasn't adding anything to the game at all, and from the looks of her website, she's in no hurry to add CB to her resume.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

bwood

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 04:08:23 PM »
Alex is also working on new episodes of "Family Guy" and doing other projects, so she may have had to eliminate one project to save more time, and CB may have had to be it.

inturnaround

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 05:20:16 PM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' date=\'Oct 8 2004, 04:08 PM\']Alex is also working on new episodes of "Family Guy" and doing other projects, so she may have had to eliminate one project to save more time, and CB may have had to be it.
[snapback]60071[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes, not only is she a voice actress on the show, but she's a writer, too. With the huge order they got for Family Guy, that's bound to keep her pretty busy for awhile.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

adamjk

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2004, 10:14:34 PM »
How many new episodes of Family Guy are going to be made out of curiosity?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2004, 10:20:57 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Oct 8 2004, 10:14 PM\']How many new episodes of Family Guy are going to be made out of curiosity?
[snapback]60117[/snapback]
[/quote]
Some sources say "a minimum of 22" and some sources say "as many as 35".

So somewhere in there.  More if it's a hit.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2004, 10:16:31 PM »
I really miss Max Rubin after rewatching the first WSOB on GSN last week. They probably couldn't re-add him to the show without a set redesign, but it was best to hear him trot out the blackjack strategy standards. Even with Matt being capable to do so past the first games in the Series, he had an air of credibility. And IMHO, they were a pretty decent team after the show got going.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

CaseyAbell

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2004, 09:06:28 AM »
Rubin was okay. He certainly contributed more than Alex, who might as well not have showed up. The problem is that the celebs have to get more microphone time than the civvies (unfair, I know, but them be the facts). So there really isn't much time for anybody else except Vasgersian and Stann to get in their licks.

In the civvie series the dealer was a silent movie, though a very nice-looking silent movie. And nobody cared if Vasgersian and Rubin talked over the players. So the duo had all the time in the world to chatter about betting strategy, possible outcomes, whatever their little hearts desired. That's definitely not the case with the celeb series.

Speaking of the civvie series, I happened to catch Fox Sports' poker show with eight top players. One of the commentators was Michael Konik, last seen trying to intimidate the room and read Tiki on GSN's civvie blackjack series. It looked like he had shaved a little closer for Fox.

And still speaking of the civvie series, I rustled up this odd story from the Google news cache. Remember the winner, "MIT Mike"? Well, his real name is Michael Aponte, and he got tangled in a trademark infringement suit with, you guessed it, MIT. Seems the university wants its name off the web site operated by Aponte and a couple of his "Bringing Down the House" buddies.

Somehow, I don't think that any of the celebs will have similar difficulties.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2004, 02:10:32 PM by CaseyAbell »