Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Shows Past:January 23-29, 1965  (Read 6455 times)

Ian Wallis

Game Shows Past:January 23-29, 1965
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2004, 02:06:36 PM »
Which I guess was true, but he coulda called Jim Victory. Being a TV Guide reader even back then, I knew Detroit and Grand Rapids had it, why not us?

That's what used to bug me about the network affiliates from Buffalo.  They were OK for some things, but many shows just never saw the airwaves in this area.  

I mentioned "Celebrity Sweepstakes" in a previous thread; neither nighttime version was carried in my area at all - in fact, I didn't even know there was a nighttime version until I got a copy of the New Hampshire TVGuide while there in the summer of 1975 (it wasn't mentioned in the 1974 Fall Preview issue that "CS" was going nighttime).

We also missed out on such shows as the last three years of Cullen's "$25,000 Pyramid"; Martindale's "High Rollers"; and the 1983 version of "Battlestars" (which I saw a couple of episodes of in person).  We had NBC from Rochester on cable too but they didn't pick those up either.

It was kind of frustrating missing out on some of that stuff - but I guess almost every area missed out on *something*.  If only satellite dishes were widely available in the '70s and early '80s!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

uncamark

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2004, 05:21:26 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Oct 15 2004, 12:16 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Oct 15 2004, 12:05 PM\']For some reason, I find it interesting that no one carried Concentration, but eh...
[snapback]60903[/snapback]
[/quote]
If memory serves, I don't think anyone in Chicago did either (talking the Narz syndie version, not the network runs).  Mark J. could probably confirm or deny (he seems to have a knack for remembering such minutiae).  Norfolk I could understand because it's a smaller market, but for no one in Chicago to clear it is a bit of a mystery to me.
[snapback]60905[/snapback]
[/quote]

Whenever I saw that incarnation of "Concentration," it was always from somewhere far, far away--no station in Chicago ever carried it--and that also goes for Rockford, the closest big city to DeKalb, where I went to college.  Depending on where your dorm room was, you could pick up the Milwaukee or Madison stations (and occasionally downstate or Iowa stations), but when WISN carried the show, I was either living on the wrong side of the dorm or the signal was extremely poor.

But while Chicago only aired one season of "The New Treasure Hunt," thanks to WREX, I got to see all but the first season of that show.  Make of that what you will.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2004, 04:32:23 PM »
But while Chicago only aired one season of "The New Treasure Hunt," thanks to WREX, I got to see all but the first season of that show. Make of that what you will.

I find it surprising that so many shows didn't air in Chicago.  Being the 3rd-largest market, I thought it was almost as much of a "must" to get the show on there as it would be for NY and LA.  Even though "TH" and Narz's "Concentration" were syndicated, you'd figure in a big city with network O&O's you'd see just about everything.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2004, 05:42:29 PM »
I think it's the fact that prime time starts at 7pm in the Windy City and news would fill the 6-7pm access hour, plus they seemed to have midday news shows years before the NY and LA O&O's.  Fringe 3:30-5 was movies or talk, and they lost an hour between the morning news shows and the morning game shows where stations in the East could put in syndie fare.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.