Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Best Show Exits  (Read 7593 times)

TheInquisitiveOne

Best Show Exits
« on: October 18, 2004, 12:15:07 AM »
Hello to all!

We have been talking about the best opening sequences for a game show. How about the best closings? What do you think?

I, for example, liked the closing sequence for $ale of the Century during the NBC Shopping era. During the credit roll, the camera would do a very slow zoom out from the big doors. As they do so, the large set of doors would close (you would still see the back room through the smaller frame, however) and you would see the darkened front main game set in full view eventually.

Anybody else have their faves? Tell it here, and thanks in advance for the responses!

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Best Show Exits
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 12:30:13 AM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Oct 17 2004, 11:15 PM\']We have been talking about the best opening sequences for a game show. How about the best closings? What do you think?
[snapback]61176[/snapback]
[/quote]
I liked the ones with theme music, applause, and credits.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

aaron sica

Best Show Exits
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 12:34:59 AM »
My absolute favorite is still the closing from WoF in the earlier years of the show, in which they cut away, and the host and hostess were in the middle of the wheel.....

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Best Show Exits
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 12:51:08 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Oct 17 2004, 09:34 PM\']My absolute favorite is still the closing from WoF in the earlier years of the show, in which they cut away, and the host and hostess were in the middle of the wheel.....
[snapback]61179[/snapback]
[/quote]
Not sure if this is what you meant, but I thought the Wheel close was more interesting when they said their goodbyes, and the camera would pull out to reveal the wheel spinning and the hosting duo in the chromakeyed green spot in the middle.

The BEST outcue, bar none, however, is Kevin O'Connell's "K.O. for G.O.. We'll see you tomorrow." I will not argue with this.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

Best Show Exits
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 12:58:01 AM »
I liked the shows where the lights would dim during the credits.  BtB '76 and 70's Treasure Hunt are among my favorites.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

aaron sica

Best Show Exits
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 01:29:22 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 18 2004, 12:51 AM\']
Not sure if this is what you meant, but I thought the Wheel close was more interesting when they said their goodbyes, and the camera would pull out to reveal the wheel spinning and the hosting duo in the chromakeyed green spot in the middle.

The BEST outcue, bar none, however, is Kevin O'Connell's "K.O. for G.O.. We'll see you tomorrow." I will not argue with this.
[snapback]61182[/snapback]
[/quote]

Was trying to think of a good way to describe it, and came up short. That's EXACTLY what I meant. :)

"K.O. for G.O." is also a good signoff.

I also am a fan of "Dick Clark.....[salute].....so long."

dzinkin

Best Show Exits
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2004, 01:41:46 AM »
My favorite outcue was the one Allen Ludden used in -- I think -- the first Password Plus: "the password is 'thanks.'"  I also liked the later episodes, which he'd close by saying "the password for today is..." and making a funny comment or two using the word he'd chosen.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Best Show Exits
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2004, 02:14:55 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Oct 18 2004, 12:41 AM\']My favorite outcue was the one Allen Ludden used in -- I think -- the first Password Plus: "the password is 'thanks.'"  I also liked the later episodes, which he'd close by saying "the password for today is..." and making a funny comment or two using the word he'd chosen.
[snapback]61188[/snapback]
[/quote]
Dave, IIRC, he did this on the original series of Password as well.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

mystery7

Best Show Exits
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2004, 02:18:17 AM »
Any closing Chuck Woolery couldn't get right is a classic:

"This is Chuck Woolery hoping that all your good dates are tonight."
"And remember, it's not just Lingo, it's...[cracks up]"

Seriously, I'll second the vote for Allen Ludden's different Passwords.

Monarx

Best Show Exits
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2004, 02:18:51 AM »
Yeah, the Allen Ludden 'password' closings are cool.  I also like the Double Dare closing, especially when Marc and the contestants play around in the gak.  It was always neat to see Harvey, too.  When a contestant won the bonus round in Starcade as their friends would come up, I liked that as well.
The countdown to 100 ended awhile ago, why are you still here?

dzinkin

Best Show Exits
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2004, 02:47:29 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Oct 18 2004, 02:14 AM\']Dave, IIRC, he did this on the original series of Password as well.
[snapback]61190[/snapback]
[/quote]
Goes to show how long it's been since I've dragged out my tapes of the other Passwords. :-)  P+ has always been my favorite of the various Passwords anyway -- probably because I remember it so vividly from having watched it as a kid.

The one from the first P+ just seems so fitting... quick, dignified and apparently sincere.

Don Howard

Best Show Exits
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2004, 09:33:06 AM »
At the end of Face The Music, I enjoyed the closing moments when Tarzan would say, "Join us next time when once more we face the music" and then he would punch the air followed immediately by Tommy Oliver & Company bringing us the theme with a neat drumbeat.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 09:33:27 AM by Don Howard »

Matt Ottinger

Best Show Exits
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2004, 11:32:40 AM »
To introduce a much more recent example, the mighty Mr. Stein's closing, with the references to the money he saved, to futility.com and all the way to the reverb at the end always impressed me.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

gsnstooge

Best Show Exits
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2004, 12:19:23 PM »
I also liked the Dick Clark salute as well as Ben Stein's signoff.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 12:19:39 PM by gsnstooge »

DrBear

Best Show Exits
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2004, 12:58:19 PM »
Unfortunately, it's an art that's dying, along with the game show.

One of the better older one - Bob Barker signing off another TorC: "Here's hoping all your consequences are happy ones. Good-BYE, everybody!"
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.