Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Misc TPIR notes...  (Read 3452 times)

cmjb13

Misc TPIR notes...
« on: October 19, 2004, 08:33:07 PM »
-Johnny Olson's podium is now in the hands of Rich Fields. Believe it or not, the podium was going to be thrown out and Rich picked it up. The podium was gutted of all electrical components, but plans are for it to be eventually restored.

-Rich also has another new podium. His first new one is gone. (Links to pictures of the first podium should be in Behind the Scenes) This one looks a lot closer to the original. However,  there is no monitor built into the podium. There is a small LCD monitor on top of the podium. The previous newer podium was too big and apparently an audience member complained  that they couldn't see past the podium because it was too deep.

-Card Game has a new look

-New game in the works (from the looks of it, already built). Won't spoil the title.

-No $1M spectaculars planned for now.

-I won't spoil what Randy briefly touched upon for airing in early December. I will say be sure to definitely tune in. It's remarkable in more ways than one.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

DYosua

Misc TPIR notes...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 09:37:51 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Oct 19 2004, 08:33 PM\']-Johnny Olson's podium is now in the hands of Rich Fields. Believe it or not, the podium was going to be thrown out and Rich picked it up. The podium was gutted of all electrical components, but plans are for it to be eventually restored.
[/quote]
Totally bogus.  I know of a certain announcer who really deserves this podium...

Interesting about Card Game's new look.  The original set material was looked very close, if not the same, as Johnny's podium.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 09:40:57 PM by DYosua »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Misc TPIR notes...
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 10:20:50 PM »
[quote name=\'DYosua\' date=\'Oct 19 2004, 08:37 PM\']Totally bogus.  I know of a certain announcer who really deserves this podium...
[snapback]61432[/snapback]
[/quote]
If Randy's moved on from this; which I believe he has; surely you can move on from it too.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

DYosua

Misc TPIR notes...
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 10:34:09 PM »
I am over the selection, but surely Randy has more of a connection with Johnny (spanning several years) than Rich (one or two meetings).  It would have been a nice gesture for TPiR to allow him to have it.

tvrandywest

Misc TPIR notes...
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 01:22:08 AM »
As always, fellow Invisioners, thanks for the kind words. Life does move on, and it's been a happy year since I worked the TV TPiR. I will always enjoy having had the experience with Barker, and I will remember feeling overwhelmed by those of you who were so vocal in your support of my bid for the gig; thanks again. I especially treasure my having fulfilled the goals of following in Johnny O's path. John mentored me from 1971 until his passing in 1985, and his family then honored me in 1999 by entrusting me with Johnny's personal possessions.

Which leads us to the podium...

I remain in contact with some of the folks from 33, and have seen several in recent months. Among them, Bente Christianson who was "princess of the podium". Bente also works for "The Price Is Right - Live", and we discussed the fate of Johnny O's old podium on one of her trips to a Harrah's. After having been modified for additional electronics over the ensuing 18 years, being pretty well knocked around to where so many of the vertical strips of foil are damaged or missing, and being gutted of all but the wooden framework, I couldn't justify taking up any more precious space at my home. Even archivist Bob Boden has run out of room. I'm glad that Rich saved it from the trash bin, as it has apparently found a respectful home.

In the coming weeks, if I can make some extra space, I will take delivery of a treasured set piece, still in operating condition, from Family Feud. It was taken from storage for the "Old Navy" TV spot, and is being held for me. Watch for pictures when it's delivered   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: December 12, 2004, 09:51:00 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Craig Karlberg

Misc TPIR notes...
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 04:57:15 AM »
Nice to see another new pricing game(already built) is in the works.  This would be the 84th overall game & the 71st in the active roster if my numbers are right(I could be slighty off there).  Sounds like a mid season debut apparently.  I'll keep my eyes open for it.

tvrandywest

Misc TPIR notes...
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 12:20:56 PM »
And the creator of ONE OF the next games to debut on TPiR is none other than...

Mandel!

Hats off to the brain behind "Half Off"

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: October 20, 2004, 01:25:41 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

passwordplus

Misc TPIR notes...
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 12:27:00 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Oct 20 2004, 12:20 PM\']And the creator of the next game to debut on TPiR is none other than...

Mandel!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[snapback]61481[/snapback]
[/quote]

It'll be good since half-off is really good already!

Not to mention 1/2 off has the "pastel look" that is decent(better than the train wreck set from 2002--hollywood mural)

mandelweb

Misc TPIR notes...
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004, 12:48:36 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Oct 20 2004, 11:20 AM\']And the creator of the next game to debut on TPiR is none other than...

Mandel!

[snapback]61481[/snapback]
[/quote]

Heh...Thanks for the plug and kind words, Randy!

Actually, I think the game being referred to in this thread (I believe the first new pricing game of the season) is NOT mine.  I do have another pricing game that's been approved, but it is slated for later in the season.  I actually owe Roger Dobkowitz a call to find out what the latest is on the progress of the set piece development for it.

I think the one that was referred to at the top of the thread as being built already (and from what I know, rehearsed a few times as well) is a Roger creation.  From the little I've heard about it, it sounds pretty neat!

- Mandel
http://mandelweb.com

Steve Gavazzi

Misc TPIR notes...
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2004, 01:10:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Oct 20 2004, 04:57 AM\']Nice to see another new pricing game(already built) is in the works.  This would be the 84th overall game & the 71st in the active roster if my numbers are right(I could be slighty off there).
[snapback]61466[/snapback]
[/quote]

...or you could be way off.  It'll be the 99th game, and the 74th active one (76th if you want to count Penny Ante and Time is Money).