Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Best Show Exits  (Read 7592 times)

uncamark

Best Show Exits
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2004, 03:00:01 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Oct 18 2004, 11:58 AM\']Unfortunately, it's an art that's dying, along with the game show.
[snapback]61226[/snapback]
[/quote]

But it looks like the Brits are trying to keep it alive, if that four-hour block on BBCA Sunday morning is any indication, with Nigel Lythgoe's "keep your friends close--and your enemies closer" and Ulrika Jonsson's "remember, every dog has his day."  I don't know if the other British shows try for catch phrase closings--since after all, the other show in the block just ends with "Join us next time for 'The Weakest Link'--(wink) goodbye."  But it's not dead yet.

Neumms

Best Show Exits
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2004, 03:08:53 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Oct 18 2004, 12:29 AM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 18 2004, 12:51 AM\']

I also am a fan of "Dick Clark.....[salute].....so long."

[snapback]61187[/snapback]
[/quote]

It always struck me as odd that Dick would leave right after saying that, yet everyone else had to sit there through the credits. I realize he was a busy man, but gosh, it's not like Nipsey Russell didn't have anywhere to go, too.

Mr. Ludden's later work is the best. On the original, his passwords were preachy, but they became witty when he took viewer submissions during the P+ years (if not during the ABC versions).

And there's still something magical about the final shot of Barker and the girls and the triumphant Showcase winner back by the prizes.

SamJ93

Best Show Exits
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2004, 03:44:35 PM »
If I may deviate from the topic slightly..the worst ending by far had to be the '86 Crosswits.  Nothing really bad about David Sparks' send-off, from what I can remember, but during the credits they showed still frames of supposedly 'memorable' moments from the show, like soap operas used to do (and as TPiR does sometimes, before commercial breaks, but in a much more tasteful manner).  Horrible!

--Sam
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Best Show Exits
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2004, 03:55:59 PM »
[quote name=\'SamJ93\' date=\'Oct 18 2004, 02:44 PM\']If I may deviate from the topic slightly..the worst ending by far had to be the '86 Crosswits. 
[snapback]61239[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'm glad Sam started this, because I was going to suggest SCRABBLE (the first version) for among the worst endings.  When they moved the audience into camera range (becoming one of the few NBC shows from Burbank to actually show the audience consistently, even if the reactions were still McKenzied), Woolery would start chatting up the audience at the end of each show.  Then the audience would start applauding (cue McKenzie effects), and Woolery would still be chatting!  I don't know about you (colloquially), but I'd find it difficult to carry on any sort of civilized conversation if there was applause all around me.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Winkfan

Best Show Exits
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2004, 06:26:40 PM »
MY fave GS closing, hands down, is Jackpot! I even mentioned it at my fanpage on the show!

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Siv Averg of the Big Board!'
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024) & Peter Marshall (1926-2024)

irismason42

Best Show Exits
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2004, 06:49:04 PM »
I've always wanted to hear Gene Wood saying this closing spiel when he was the host, he had the same closing spiel as Bud Collyer had and that was "Be sure to accomplish a challenge on time when it's you time to Beat The Clock" but Gene always says on the Friday's show "We'll see you on Monday, have a fantastic weekend."

ChuckNet

Best Show Exits
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2004, 08:26:51 PM »
Let's see...my fave closing would include:

- "KO for G-O"
- Dick Clark's Pyramid signoff
- Geoff Edwards' Treasure Hunt close "Join us again next wk...until then, this is GE saying good luck...good night!"
- Mark Walberg's "Until next time, I'm Mark Walberg...watch your step!"
- Pitfall, more so when they had a full credit roll, because it was just cool seeing how the big-ass bridge would dwarf Alex and the champ as they made their exits during that static WS that closed each ep
- "Until next time, this is Jim Lange hoping everything you're going for (fist windup and release) hits the Bullseye...bye!"

Least faves:

- Joe Garagiola's "They struck it rich, and I hope you strike it rich!"
- Clark Race's "Remember, it's not kids who say the darndest things, it's their parents."
- Jim Lange's "You don't have to be a newlywed to act like one" from his 1984 ABC Daytime Special wk of TNNG
- Richard Karn's 1st and 2nd season closes on FF, if you could call them that

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

GS Warehouse

Best Show Exits
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2004, 08:58:21 PM »
I'm one to play favorites, but here are some honorables in no particular order, most not already mentioned:

"Watch your step."
"Be good to your families, come back and see our families here on the Feud!" (Louie's Feud closing)
"I'm JD Roth, hoping to make your house a Fun House."
"When you don't have time to think twice, Think Fast!"
"I challenge all of you out there to write, call, or e-mail to futility.com in the hope, infinitesimal as it may be, that on some planet, on some distant day, you might win Ben Stein's money (oney-oney-oney...)"
"The next time you're at a checkout counter and you hear the beep (beep beep), think of the fun you could have on Supermarket Sweep!"
"Tally ho!" (Gene used this often on MG)

And from an ep of Family Double Dare:
"This is your announcer Harvey reminding you to join us again next time on the only show on television rated PG...for pretty gross!"

Jimmy Owen

Best Show Exits
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2004, 09:04:26 PM »
What about "Thank you ever so much for joining us on (insert one of twenty-six shows)"?  "No time to say goodbye, so good." (Chain Reaction) "Without you this show would still go on." (Blockbusters).  The last two were only said once each by the best host ever, but they made an impression on me.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 09:05:58 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

adamjk

Best Show Exits
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2004, 09:21:39 PM »
[snapback]61187[/snapback]
And there's still something magical about the final shot of Barker and the girls and the triumphant Showcase winner back by the prizes.
[snapback]61232[/snapback]

I always thought it was cool, to see Bob go into the audience and greet everyone following a double overbid. Good stuff. As far as openings go, you can't beat Price's. It has to be the best intro in the history of TV game shows IMO. I especially love the intros where Bob enters from the audience, and is slapping everyone's hands on his way towards the stage. Very cool!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 09:24:32 PM by adamjk »

DrBear

Best Show Exits
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2004, 10:49:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Oct 18 2004, 07:04 PM\']What about "Thank you ever so much for joining us on (insert one of twenty-six shows)"?  "No time to say goodbye, so good." (Chain Reaction) "Without you this show would still go on." (Blockbusters).  The last two were only said once each by the best host ever, but they made an impression on me.
[snapback]61292[/snapback]
[/quote]
Some of the Cullen one-time sign offs were classics. I still remember a goodbye from one show...
"And so good guess from Eye Bye."
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

ChuckNet

Best Show Exits
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2004, 11:54:42 PM »
Some of the Cullen one-time sign offs were classics. I still remember a goodbye from one show...

He did the same thing some 25 yrs later, when he bid the viewers "hot bye from Good Potato". :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

GS Warehouse

Best Show Exits
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2004, 12:22:46 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Oct 18 2004, 11:54 PM\']

He did the same thing some 25 yrs later, when he bid the viewers "hot bye from Good Potato". :-)
[snapback]61312[/snapback]
[/quote]
And in between, no fewer than twice he said "good block from Byebusters".

MikeK

• Martha!
Best Show Exits
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2004, 12:53:47 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Oct 19 2004, 12:22 AM\'][quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Oct 18 2004, 11:54 PM\']

He did the same thing some 25 yrs later, when he bid the viewers "hot bye from Good Potato". :-)[/quote]
And in between, no fewer than twice he said "good block from Byebusters".
[/quote]

But did Cullen ever say "good love from The Bye Experts"? :-)

SplitSecond

Best Show Exits
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2004, 01:20:54 AM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Oct 18 2004, 09:53 PM\']But did Cullen ever say "good love from The Bye Experts"? :-)
[snapback]61317[/snapback]
[/quote]

More importantly, did Sarah Purcell ever try to steal Bill's material for her game show?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 01:21:27 AM by SplitSecond »