Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Team Pyramid?  (Read 4966 times)

zachhoran

Team Pyramid?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2004, 07:33:00 PM »
But for all its technical and judgmental flaws, I thought it was a decent revival that deserved a 3rd season...how much worse is Pat Croce's show doing in the ratings, anyway?

[snapback]61699[/snapback]
[/quote]

Pat's show is hovering around a 0.5 or 0.6, less than a third of what Pyramid averaged for last season.

Jimmy Owen

Team Pyramid?
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2004, 10:49:02 PM »
It's better that Donny's Pyramid went off.  It was a very poor show all around.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Team Pyramid?
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2004, 11:19:24 PM »
[quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'Oct 22 2004, 06:39 AM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Oct 19 2004, 02:51 PM\']How about calling it something other than Pyramid? Don't even call it Pyramid All-Stars.
[snapback]61409[/snapback]
[/quote]
Not even Pyramid Plus?
[snapback]61665[/snapback]
[/quote]
No, not even The All New Fat-Free Celebrity Super Pyramid Plus for Dollars Oh-Four with Chlorophyl and Retsyn!

uncamark

Team Pyramid?
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2004, 05:50:32 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Oct 22 2004, 05:31 PM\']
Don't even get me started on the poor camera direction of the show. I never could stand cutting back and forth between player and celebrity as the clock ran in either round. Did they think the MTV generation couldn't watch a static shot for 30, beg pardon, *20* seconds?

It also rendered the score display monitors added near the end of the 1st season pointless to the folks at home.

But for all its technical and judgmental flaws, I thought it was a decent revival that deserved a 3rd season...how much worse is Pat Croce's show doing in the ratings, anyway?

[snapback]61699[/snapback]
[/quote]

My main problem now with it?  The fact that they briefed the celebs on the material.  Part of the appeal of the show, like "Password" (and today, "Celebrity Poker Showdown") is the fun in seeing the famous and/or semi-famous without the safety net of a script, to watch them flail about for the right words to use.  When you're feeding stuff to the celebs, that part of the show is gone entirely.  Hate to say it, but we *want* to see celebs fall on their face every so often (and the more serious they take the game, the better--the Ben Stein Principle).  Joe Viewer might not've known it, but when we heard about it, it hurt the show in my view more than needless camera angles, blah theme music or overjokey category names.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2004, 06:16:21 PM by uncamark »

Ian Wallis

Team Pyramid?
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2004, 09:17:21 AM »
My main problem now with it? The fact that they briefed the celebs on the material. Part of the appeal of the show, like "Password" (and today, "Celebrity Poker Showdown") is the fun in seeing the famous and/or semi-famous without the safety net of a script, to watch flail about for the right words to use. When you're feeding stuff to the celebs, that part of the show is gone entirely.

Maybe that's another reason to call it "over-produced".  We've discussed it before, but everything is edited and planned out so heavily these days that you'll never see any of the (sometimes) funny screw-ups that happened in the '70s and '80s.  That was part of the fun of these shows - that you never knew what could happen.  Now everything's so "scripted", that it takes away some of the fun.

Maybe most game shows are out of favor right now, but the way many of them have been produced in the past several years could be part of the reason.  Like most game show fans, I enjoyed the way these shows were done in the '70s and '80s - the excitement of the audience, the catchy music, the spontaneity of the game play, the occasional screwup.  The shows now are trying to go after the "MTV Generation", where many of the genre's fans grew up before that became a factor.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!