Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Game Show Sports Hosts Roster  (Read 4055 times)

TimK2003

The Game Show Sports Hosts Roster
« on: October 18, 2004, 07:16:11 PM »
There is over a dozen or so game show hosts who came from the world of sports.  IIRC, there are representatives from at least 4 sports (Football, Basketball, Baseball & Tennis).

Let's see if you can provide a complete roster of sports players, what position(s) they played and where they played.

For starters:

BASEBALL --
Joe Garagiola -- Catcher -- St. Louis Cardinals

FOOTBALL --
Rolf Benirschke -- Kicker -- San Diego Chargers

TENNIS --
John McEnroe

BASKETBALL --
John Sally -- Center? -- Detroit Pistons

SWIMMING --
Summer Sanders -- U.S. Olympic Swim Team

others???

Rastaub

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 07:18:37 PM »
Jimmy Cefalo (Host of Trump Card)
Wide Reciever
Miami Dolphins  

Lynn Swann (Host of TTTT 90)
Wide Reciever
Pittsburgh Steelers

davemackey

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 07:55:03 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Oct 18 2004, 07:16 PM\']BASKETBALL --
[snapback]61268[/snapback]
[/quote]

John Salley was actually a power forward who played on the "Motor City Bad Boys" team of the 1989-1990 Pistons; their center that year was Bill Laimbeer. He was later on the Chicago Bulls.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 08:09:00 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Oct 18 2004, 07:16 PM\']There is over a dozen or so game show hosts who came from the world of sports.  IIRC, there are representatives from at least 4 sports (Football, Basketball, Baseball & Tennis).

Let's see if you can provide a complete roster of sports players, what position(s) they played and where they played.

*snippage*

BASKETBALL --
John Sally -- Center? -- Detroit Pistons[/quote]

Salley also played for the Miami Heat, the LA Lakers, and the Chicago Bulls...and maybe another team, if my sports knowledge hasn't failed me.

John Naber (Olympic swimmer, 1976) and Dwight Stones (track and field)--The Dream League
Jerry Kramer (football, Green Bay Packers)--Monday Night Quarterback pilot
Mike Eruzione (hockey, 1980 US Olympic team)--Starcade pilot
Ahmad Rashad (football, Minnesota Vikings, I believe)--Caesar's Challenge
Bruce Jenner (decathlon)--Celebrity Double Dare pilot  (Thanks for the correction, Mike!)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 12:45:47 AM by hmtriplecrown »

mmb5

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 10:22:12 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Oct 18 2004, 06:55 PM\'][quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Oct 18 2004, 07:16 PM\']BASKETBALL --
[snapback]61268[/snapback]
[/quote]

John Salley was actually a power forward who played on the "Motor City Bad Boys" team of the 1989-1990 Pistons; their center that year was Bill Laimbeer. He was later on the Chicago Bulls.
[snapback]61274[/snapback]
[/quote]

Actually Salley was the 4-5 swingman on those teams and was drafted as a center, but proved too small to be a full-time NBAer at the position.  He also played a season with the Raptors.

Another to the list is Buck Martinez, the erstwhile backup catcher and former Blue Jay manager who hosted Knockout (not related to the Arte Johnson version) in Canada.

Todd Christensen (Rams TE) had someting to do with American Gladiators.

Kenny Mayne (Two Minute Drill) was Randall Cunningham's backup at UNLV.

And to correct another post -- it's Bruce Jenner.  Barry Jenner running a decathalon would have been hilarious.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

adamjk

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 10:53:13 PM »
I know this guy was never officially a game show host, but since he came very close to hosting the new family feud in the 80's(of course we all know who ended up getting the gig), he deserves a mention:

Joe Namath(quarterback:  New York Jets)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2004, 11:30:35 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Oct 18 2004, 09:22 PM\']Todd Christensen (Rams TE) had someting to do with American Gladiators.
[snapback]61299[/snapback]
[/quote]
Christensen was a Raider (originally property of the NY Giants), but be that as it may, Mike Adamle (Northwestern and Chicago Bears RB) also had something to do with AMERICAN GLADIATORS.

Doug
« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 11:32:42 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 12:51:15 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Oct 18 2004, 11:30 PM\'][quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Oct 18 2004, 09:22 PM\']Todd Christensen (Rams TE) had someting to do with American Gladiators.
[/quote]
Christensen was a Raider (originally property of the NY Giants), but be that as it may, Mike Adamle (Northwestern and Chicago Bears RB) also had something to do with AMERICAN GLADIATORS.[/quote]

And while we're on the topic of Gladiators, Larry Csonka (football Hall of Famer, running back on the '72 Dolphins) was associated with AG as well.

Barry Jenner?  Oops.  That's what I get for posting after working and being in class for over 12 hours total today.  I agree with Mike, that would be quite funny.

I made my error for the month.  Nothing to see here. :-P

DYosua

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2004, 07:47:59 AM »
According to this web site, Bert Convy played LF in the minors for a while.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 07:48:14 AM by DYosua »

aaron sica

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2004, 08:20:02 AM »
[quote name=\'DYosua\' date=\'Oct 19 2004, 07:47 AM\']According to this web site, Bert Convy played LF in the minors for a while.
[snapback]61324[/snapback]
[/quote]

Was going to mention that but I was too tired to post before...He played in the Phillies farm club if I'm not mistaken...

Ian Wallis

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2004, 09:01:12 AM »
Jimmy Cefalo (Host of Trump Card)
Wide Reciever
Miami Dolphins

Jimmy also hosted the show "Sports Snapshot" around 1993.  How about that - a former athlete hosting a game show about sports!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

aaron sica

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2004, 09:50:11 AM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Oct 18 2004, 10:22 PM\']
Kenny Mayne (Two Minute Drill) was Randall Cunningham's backup at UNLV.
[snapback]61299[/snapback]
[/quote]

Randall himself also hosted a kids' game show - the short-lived 1993 "Scramble".

sshuffield70

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2004, 10:22:55 AM »
I've seen some mentions on AG.  But who was Mike Adamle's first partner?

Not Csonka (of course).
Not Christensen.

Joe Theismann.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2004, 10:42:21 AM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Oct 19 2004, 10:22 AM\']I've seen some mentions on AG.  But who was Mike Adamle's first partner?

Not Csonka (of course).
Not Christensen.

Joe Theismann.
[snapback]61335[/snapback]
[/quote]
Might as well add AG's two other co-hosts.  Lisa Malosky was a college basketball star, and Dan Clark (the former Nitro) played in the CFL.

Neumms

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2004, 12:08:43 PM »
To elaborate on an earlier post, the host of 'Caesar's Challenge," Ak-mad as Bud Grant would refer to him, was a wide receiver for the Vikes. He was known for sure hands and a tendancy to step out of bounds to avoid taking a hit.

FUN FACT: Rashad's name was Bobby Moore earlier in his career. So is he the only game show host to have changed his name to reflect his faith?