Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Best Show Exits  (Read 7596 times)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Best Show Exits
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2004, 07:05:03 AM »
I have a .wav of one of Bill's other wacky closings - "see you again next time, good bye from Busblockers."

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Esoteric Eric

Best Show Exits
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2004, 08:44:35 AM »
[quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Oct 18 2004, 10:20 PM\']
More importantly, did Sarah Purcell ever try to steal Bill's material for her game show?
[snapback]61320[/snapback]
[/quote]

<Bill Dana as Jose Jimenez> Oooooooh, I hope not! </bdajj>

But the reference to The Better Sex reminded me that their show's closing was one of my faves.  Sarah and "Whispering" Bill Anderson would alternate each day and say something like, "Join us next time as we determine which one is The Better Sex.  G'bye!"  

Esoteric Eric; sometimes, Bill would also say: "So long and make it a good day!"  That was also the signoff of Jack Chase, longtime morning and noon news anchor at Boston's WBZ-TV (then an NBC affil, now a CBS O&O.)  Makes me wonder if Bill picked it up from Jack, or they both picked it up from someone else...
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

Ian Wallis

Best Show Exits
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2004, 09:07:08 AM »
I'm glad Sam started this, because I was going to suggest SCRABBLE (the first version) for among the worst endings. When they moved the audience into camera range (becoming one of the few NBC shows from Burbank to actually show the audience consistently, even if the reactions were still McKenzied), Woolery would start chatting up the audience at the end of each show. Then the audience would start applauding (cue McKenzie effects), and Woolery would still be chatting! I don't know about you (colloquially), but I'd find it difficult to carry on any sort of civilized conversation if there was applause all around me.

What I liked about that when they first started doing that is that there'd be no applause right until the end.  After a few months, the audience would start applauding after the "this has been a Reg Grundy production" announcement.  But I agree it looked kind of silly to have Chuck still chatting with them.

I believe this started about mid-1986, and by 1988 they went back to having full applause during the close.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

tvwxman

Best Show Exits
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2004, 09:10:14 AM »
My 2 faves , already mentioned....

Geoff Edwards, THunt..."GE wishing you good luck, and good night".

Bob Barker, Truth or Consquences, read the signoff below....

And the best "Bill-Bye"s, from Eye Guess...

"Theres' a weekend up ahead, so watch it!"

and from Blockbusters,

"Have yourself a good whatever it is, wherever you're going, and we'll see you next time on Blockbusters"

He was, in fact, the man.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

uncamark

Best Show Exits
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2004, 12:06:40 PM »
More Cullen:

"We thank you for letting us come into your homes--but next time, could you please clean them before we come?"

"We than you for letting us come into--your bedroom."

Neumms

Best Show Exits
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2004, 12:12:34 PM »
Esoteric Eric; sometimes, Bill would also say: "So long and make it a good day!"  That was also the signoff of Jack Chase, longtime morning and noon news anchor at Boston's WBZ-TV (then an NBC affil, now a CBS O&O.)  Makes me wonder if Bill picked it up from Jack, or they both picked it up from someone else...

[snapback]61326[/snapback]
[/quote]

David Hartman said something like that on "Good Morning America," not that he didn't pick it up elsewhere. He might have said make it a great day.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 12:15:18 PM by Neumms »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Best Show Exits
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2004, 01:37:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Esoteric Eric\' date=\'Oct 19 2004, 05:44 AM\']Makes me wonder if Bill picked it up from Jack, or they both picked it up from someone else...
[snapback]61326[/snapback]
[/quote]
I remember that "Make it a good day!" was David Hartman's signoff at the end of the 7:00a hour of Good Morning America for those affiliates who weren't sticking around for the last one. (I dunno if he closed the show overall with it or not, I was at school by that time. :))
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JCGames

Best Show Exits
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2004, 08:18:57 PM »
I liked when Allen Ludden would use the closing password to lead into a public service message, something like:

"Until tomorrow, this is Allen Ludden saying the password today is 'college'. College is America's best friend, so remember to Give to the College of Your Choice. Seeya tomorrow, I hope...."

Esoteric Eric

Best Show Exits
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2004, 11:41:56 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 19 2004, 10:37 AM\']I remember that "Make it a good day!" was David Hartman's signoff at the end of the 7:00a hour of Good Morning America for those affiliates who weren't sticking around for the last one. (I dunno if he closed the show overall with it or not, I was at school by that time. :))
[snapback]61353[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks, but when I mentioned that Jack Chase was a longtime anchor, I meant longtime; he may even have been the first morning anchor ever at Boston's channel 4.  Not sure about the year (as early as the station's 1948 sign-on, but almost certainly by the time of The Today Show's debut in '52), but I know that Mr. Hartman was a struggling young actor, if not an aspiring actor, when Jack Chase had been using the signoff for years.

EDIT:  To clarify, Mr. Chase is "no longer with us," and retired from WBZ long before Westinghouse and CBS became one big happy family.

Esoteric Eric... ObGameShow (even so, stretching):  Over the years, members of the news team at Seattle's channel 4 (KOMO) appeared in specially produced episodes (one each) of syndie Combs Feud and Osmond Pyramid
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 11:45:24 PM by Esoteric Eric »
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

dmota104

Best Show Exits
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2004, 09:00:58 AM »
Geoff Edwards' Treasure Hunt close "Join us again next wk...until then, this is GE saying good luck...good night!"

Another from Geoff during his years on "Starcade" -- "hope all your troubles get zapped."

passwordplus

Best Show Exits
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2004, 12:29:05 PM »
TPIR had really good end credits before CBS bastardized it. Especially the "full credit roll", and being able to see either Johnny O. or Rod Roddy on camera would have to be high on the list here.

EDIT: After re-reading the thread, this might not apply to the thread. Bob Barker's "spay or neuter" gig seems ok, could be better. But when he is trying to say it with 20-30 or more college students charging the turntable, it makes for one helluva exit.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2004, 12:31:12 PM by passwordplus »