Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Funniest host entrances  (Read 8310 times)

johnnya2k3

Funniest host entrances
« on: October 21, 2004, 04:12:50 AM »
We brought up our favorite host entrances before, but what about the funniest ever? Here are those that spring to mind:

Jim Peck's "Big Falldown" (of course)
Gene Rayburn running around the studio on MG78
Bob Barker entering in crutches on one TPIR episode (somebody also said about Bob entering through the turntable once)
The host of the New Zealand $OTC crashing into the wall
Greg Evans on "Perfect Match" tumbling face down as he entered on stage
Marc Summers arriving to Double Dare very late in his casual clothes (and Harvey indroducing him as "the late, great Marc Summers")

Any others?

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
Funniest host entrances
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 07:01:04 AM »
Probably some of my favorite host entrances were done by none other than Gene Rayburn on Match Game 7x/PM/Syn...

One show the big doors opened... and he rolled down the steps.
On another... the big doors opened... and he jumped through one of the "O" shaped set pieces.
Yet another... the big doors didn't open... and he just busted through.

There will never be another show like 70s "Match Game".
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

Jimmy Owen

Funniest host entrances
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 08:50:36 AM »
Not totally funny entrances, per se, but I always worried that Nick Clooney would not make it from the middle of the maze to the podium before Alan finished describing "some of the prizes hidden in the maze."  I also had to watch Allen Ludden's entrances on "Password Plus," just to see him pause to outstrech his arm and reveal his palm, as if he were showing us the password.  I liked those better than the CBS entrances where he would whip his mic cord.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

whewfan

Funniest host entrances
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 09:02:10 AM »
He actually broke through the doors twice. During the syndie run, he had to kick and punch the door to break through it, and when he busted out, he spit out some pieces that accidentally got in his mouth!

Other entrances....

On MG 74, he was posed on the big "O", and the O suddenly moved stage left, taking Gene with it, and then it moved back. Gene appeared to be surprised, and Richard quipped "Do you know the time for the next "O"?

Sitting on a chair reading a newspaper

Lying flat on the floor, almost like he died (GSN, not thinking clearly, aired this episode on the actual day Gene died) CNR runs up to "revive" him

Gene's makeup man is making him up, Gene looks in a mirror like Narcissus, and kisses the makeup man on the cheek.

When the doors open, Gene peeks his head out, and mouths "Do I come out now?" and the panel encourages him out.

Gary Burghoff entered with Gene a couple times, and in a rare moment, Gary actually waves with his disfigured hand. Another time, on MG 78, as a gag of a previous entrance where Gene came out carrying the children of Gary Burghoff and Patti Deutsche, the next day, he comes out trying to carry Gary and Patti!

He wore Brett's eyeglasses, and walked out like Mr. Magoo. Brett was laughing hysterically.

In a variation of trying to jump through the O, once, he pretended he was drowning, then struggles to pull himself through the O.

Once, the doors opened and as Gene walks out, the doors close back up! They open again, and Gene is holding his nose as if he hit his nose as the doors closed.

Peter Marshall and Gene switched places, and Peter entered instead of Gene. Apparently, there was a running gag that Gene and Peter were often mistaken for each other (other than the overbite when they smile, I see no resemblance) and they wanted to see if they could fool the audience.

On MG 75, he walked out like a robot

ITSBRY

Funniest host entrances
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 01:30:13 PM »
Ross Shafer's "fall" sequence on MG 90 was kind of cute, but it looked very deliberate to me.

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com
« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 01:30:30 PM by ITSBRY »

GS Warehouse

Funniest host entrances
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 02:51:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Oct 21 2004, 08:50 AM\']Not totally funny entrances, per se, but ... I also had to watch Allen Ludden's entrances on "Password Plus," just to see him pause to outstrech his arm and reveal his palm, as if he were showing us the password. ...
[snapback]61578[/snapback]
[/quote]
Remember week 2 of P+, when Tony Randall ran out to his chair without stopping as Gene was introducing him and Marsha Wallace?  Allen called it one of the most tasteless acts he ever saw, and the next day, Tony was much more gentlemanly during the intros.

Jimmy Owen

Funniest host entrances
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 03:20:08 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Oct 21 2004, 01:51 PM\']
Remember week 2 of P+, when Tony Randall ran out to his chair without stopping as Gene was introducing him and Marsha Wallace?  Allen called it one of the most tasteless acts he ever saw, and the next day, Tony was much more gentlemanly during the intros.
[snapback]61602[/snapback]
[/quote]
 Yes, that was the week of Webber's Bread and the roach clip.  That was a darn good week on Password Plus, and if you missed it, where were you?

MyCapableAssistant

Funniest host entrances
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 03:29:14 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Oct 21 2004, 07:02 AM\']Lying flat on the floor, almost like he died (GSN, not thinking clearly, aired this episode on the actual day Gene died)
[snapback]61579[/snapback]
[/quote]
How eerie! That reminds me of the last 4 digits that "Family Challenge"
had in their contestant line while Ray was hosting the last season: 5696!! Bizarre.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Funniest host entrances
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 03:38:26 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Oct 21 2004, 08:02 AM\']Lying flat on the floor, almost like he died (GSN, not thinking clearly, aired this episode on the actual day Gene died) CNR runs up to "revive" him
[/quote]
Did they even know he was dead yet?  I don't see how GSN "wasn't thinking clearly".
--Mark
Phil 4:13

MyCapableAssistant

Funniest host entrances
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2004, 03:43:09 PM »
While Ray was hosting "Feud" one year, upon his entering the stage didn't he fall down the steps or something? I seem to remember something like that happening.

sshuffield70

Funniest host entrances
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2004, 03:49:05 PM »
[quote name=\'MyCapableAssistant\' date=\'Oct 21 2004, 02:29 PM\'][quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Oct 21 2004, 07:02 AM\']Lying flat on the floor, almost like he died (GSN, not thinking clearly, aired this episode on the actual day Gene died)
[/quote]
had in their contestant line while Ray was hosting the last season: 5696!! Bizarre.
[snapback]61607[/snapback]
[/quote]

Okay, my stupidity is setting in.  What the hell is the significance of 5696?  If it were 6296, I'd have an easier time.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Funniest host entrances
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2004, 04:20:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Oct 21 2004, 12:20 PM\']Yes, that was the week of Webber's Bread and the roach clip.  That was a darn good week on Password Plus, and if you missed it, where were you?
[snapback]61605[/snapback]
[/quote]
Uh, I imagine many of us were in school getting some good ol' fashioned book learnin', and those who weren't were still practicing in an effort to become the best swimmer in their groups, if you know what I mean. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

Funniest host entrances
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2004, 04:36:03 PM »
Well, that was just something Allen would say, but I'm sure he wondered why the kids couldn't watch Password during recess.

MyCapableAssistant

Funniest host entrances
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2004, 05:01:43 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Oct 21 2004, 01:49 PM\'][quote name=\'MyCapableAssistant\' date=\'Oct 21 2004, 02:29 PM\'][quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Oct 21 2004, 07:02 AM\']Lying flat on the floor, almost like he died (GSN, not thinking clearly, aired this episode on the actual day Gene died)
[/quote]
[snapback]61607[/snapback]
[/quote]

Okay, my stupidity is setting in.  What the hell is the significance of 5696?  If it were 6296, I'd have an easier time.
[snapback]61612[/snapback]
[/quote]
56 was the year Ray was born, and 96 was, well... If you subtract 56 from 96 it leaves 40, Ray's age in 1996. It's probably a bit stupid to most folks, but when I realized it, I never forgot it.
What is the significance of 6296? Now MY stupidity is setting in.

tvwxman

Funniest host entrances
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2004, 05:12:54 PM »
My God, you are AdamJK's Bowling Buddy, aren't you?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 05:13:23 PM by tvwxman »
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"