Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Time Machine  (Read 4293 times)

Neumms

Time Machine
« on: October 29, 2004, 04:10:28 PM »
The John Davidson classic was mentioned in the thread on daytime network games, and it struck me that this is one show that almost never comes up.

I remember thinking that there was an idea there somewhere that really got screwed up in execution. What do you think?

And can anyone remind me what the, uh, pricing games were?

mystery7

Time Machine
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 04:22:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Oct 29 2004, 04:10 PM\']I remember thinking that there was an idea there somewhere that really got screwed up in execution. What do you think?
[snapback]62379[/snapback]
[/quote]
Screwed up in execution? Two words: John Davidson.

Neumms

Time Machine
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 04:26:23 PM »
Okay, with "$100,000 Pyramid," a scientific test could show that Davidson screwed it up. But was he the only problem with Time Machine?

The Ol' Guy

Time Machine
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004, 04:32:14 PM »
What few episodes I watched, John seemed a bit confused and ill-at-ease handling the variety of different time-related trivia games within the show - like a trivia TPIR. Perhaps something a bit more consistent - like Squares - is more his style. He's a lot better Squares participant than game host. A stronger host might have pulled Time Machine off.

Jimmy Owen

Time Machine
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 04:44:49 PM »
I gave up on it after a few weeks, but I was confused as to randomness of the categories, I guess I was expecting a TPIR-like qualifier to win the right to play "The Tube Game," or whatever.  It was similar to Doug's TPIR in that respect, I guess.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Time Machine
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 05:03:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Oct 29 2004, 01:10 PM\']The John Davidson classic was mentioned in the thread on daytime network games, and it struck me that this is one show that almost never comes up.
[/quote]
Every so often, somebody says this. "Why doesn't anyone talk about Time Machine?"

And every time, I give them the same answer.

"Because it sucked."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

Time Machine
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2004, 05:46:13 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 29 2004, 04:03 PM\'][quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Oct 29 2004, 01:10 PM\']The John Davidson classic was mentioned in the thread on daytime network games, and it struck me that this is one show that almost never comes up.
[/quote]
Every so often, somebody says this. "Why doesn't anyone talk about Time Machine?"

And every time, I give them the same answer.

"Because it sucked."
[snapback]62389[/snapback]
[/quote]

But to paraphrase a market researcher, "what do you mean by 'sucked'?"

"TPIR with trivia" seems like it ought to work and I know this didn't--I'm just wondering if there was anything in the ashes worth remembering.

J.R.

Time Machine
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2004, 05:47:43 PM »
To me, "Time Machine" was such a ripoff of "The Price is Right". I've dubbed it "The Year is Right". Because it delt with history instead of pricing. Why a brilliant mind like Reg Grundy though this would fly?

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

ITSBRY

Time Machine
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2004, 05:50:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Oct 29 2004, 03:26 PM\']Okay, with "$100,000 Pyramid," a scientific test could show that Davidson screwed it up. But was he the only problem with Time Machine?
[snapback]62384[/snapback]
[/quote]

I never understand it when people say that JD screwed up the 1990s 100K Pyramid.  I think daytime trash TV is what did it in.  Games were just on their way out during this period.

A lot of folks don't care for JD (and he's not my favorite either), but he did a very respectable job on this show IMO.  He's nowhere close to Patrick Wayne bad.  Yes, he flubbed sometimes, but what host didn't?  I think that had the game continued, he would have melded into the role just fine.

I actually REALLY liked this version of Pyramid.  The set was the same but cooler, same game play, interesting new bonuses and some GREAT old and new celeb players (Jason Alexander particularly).

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com
« Last Edit: October 29, 2004, 05:52:42 PM by ITSBRY »

tyshaun1

Time Machine
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2004, 06:36:08 PM »
Well, don't forget, [John Davidson] "We plan to be here a really long time!" [/JD]

Seriously, John Davidson shouldn't have been allowed to host a game where he had to control anything, since he proved time and again he couldn't (witness Jim J. Bullock).

Tyshaun

ITSBRY

Time Machine
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2004, 09:06:21 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Oct 29 2004, 05:36 PM\']Well, don't forget, [John Davidson] "We plan to be here a really long time!" [/JD]

Seriously, John Davidson shouldn't have been allowed to host a game where he had to control anything, since he proved time and again he couldn't (witness Jim J. Bullock).

Tyshaun
[snapback]62396[/snapback]
[/quote]

Just curious Tyshaun...did you see Davidson's version of Pyramid?  I watched this version faithfully and still have several episodes on tape.  The reason I made the post is because whenever I rewatch them I always think, "yeah, Davidson's a mimbo (Seinfeld fans?), but he did an OK job".  He kept the game going and his winner's circle recaps were Clark-esque.  He didn't take away from the enjoyment of a game played the was it was SUPPOSED to be played.  Hear that Sony?

His biggest weekness was his airheaded comments.  In one episode w/ Teresa Ganzel, he asked her what she was doing and she mentioned some guest appearance or something.  John's reply was something like, "You should get a your own sitcom or something".  He was trying to compliment her, but it sounded so awkward the way he said it and she looked like she didn't know how to respond. :)

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com

tyshaun1

Time Machine
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2004, 09:27:58 PM »
Honestly, I've seen a clip or two here and there, but never seen a full ep. But from what I've seen (and heard), I don't think my statement is too far off. Sure, Davidson knew how to run a game, but he added absolutely NOTHING to its proceedings.

Tyshaun
« Last Edit: October 29, 2004, 09:31:42 PM by tyshaun1 »

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
Time Machine
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2004, 11:44:53 PM »
Go to the JRJ Games video page to watch a sample clip of Davidson's $100,000 Pyramid, if you haven't watched it yet.

What I learned from watching them:

He cannot add the Winner Circle dollar values on the spot.
and so-so adlibber.
-Sanford

GS Warehouse

Time Machine
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2004, 12:05:16 AM »
[quote name=\'pianogeek\' date=\'Oct 29 2004, 11:44 PM\']He cannot add the Winner Circle dollar values on the spot.
[snapback]62422[/snapback]
[/quote]
Neither could Dick Clark, right?

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Time Machine
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2004, 01:29:40 AM »
Neither could Dick Clark, right?

I don't know where this bad rap came from - every show I've seen since I was a kid has seen a WC end with "two, three, four-fifty, $500, back in a moment."

On the other hand, in the eps. I have, John relied solely on the offstage cards and didn't even bother to add them himself.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck