Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Flip-type scoring ...  (Read 2331 times)

geno57

Flip-type scoring ...
« on: November 02, 2004, 01:18:01 PM »
I am sure this has been discussed here, but I can't find it in the archives. It probably came up in the long-deceased Usenet newsgroup, as well, back when it had some life left in it. So I apologize for spanking a long-dead monkey.

Anyway ... A guy who writes a column called "The Research Doctor", found on a well-known radio industry website, is a fanatical collector of clocks. He owns hundreds (which, he says, is interesting when changing between Standard Time and Daylight Time!) I asked him if he was familiar with a clock or an alpha-numeric display of the flip variety. Not like the old digital clock radios, which flipped from top to bottom on a horizontal axis, and were very common in the 70s and 80s. Rather, he's interested (VERY interested) in the one I described to him: Each numeral flips from right to left, on a vertical axis.

A TV station I worked at in the early-70s used a monochrome camera, which was permanently focused on such a clock ... along with a readout of the current official Chicago temperature. The clock portion went through all 24-hours, as in miliary or European-style time. The temperature portion of the display also contained the alphabet, and a few punctuation marks.

I'd guess these displays were of the type used in airport terminals, before monitors and LED readouts became common.

Anybody know who made/makes them, what they're called, and how this feller might get ahold of one? For some reason, my brain remembers it as being a General Electric product ... but that might be a faulty memory.

tvrandywest

Flip-type scoring ...
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 01:50:48 PM »
The password is... SOLARI   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

whewfan

Flip-type scoring ...
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 04:49:34 AM »
Let me get my microphone and lounge jacket, and do my best Tony Clifton impression...

Ahem...

SOLARI..... WOAH-O! .... SOLARI.... Woah woah woah woah!

Ok, I couldn't resist!

byrd62

Flip-type scoring ...
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 07:36:47 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Nov 2 2004, 01:50 PM\']The password is... SOLARI   ;-)
[snapback]62770[/snapback]
[/quote]

www.solari.it  [they're based in Italy]