Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Anyone else stop watching GS's live?  (Read 2802 times)

Shredder

Anyone else stop watching GS's live?
« on: November 03, 2004, 04:24:53 PM »
Certain commercials are so tiring when watching gameshows, that I tend to tape most of them now and watch 'em back later.  Anyone else getting tired of seeing poor old Winford Brimley appear again and again add nauseum?  He must be making a fortune on the rerun money with those things..

gtbecbp

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 09:40:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Shredder\' date=\'Nov 3 2004, 04:24 PM\']Certain commercials are so tiring when watching gameshows, that I tend to tape most of them now and watch 'em back later.  Anyone else getting tired of seeing poor old Winford Brimley appear again and again add nauseum?  He must be making a fortune on the rerun money with those things..
[snapback]62891[/snapback]
[/quote]

My Cable Co DVR took care of those problems.  TPiR works well with a DVR.  I have the ability to not only skip Wilford Brimley, but I can straddle the show over the whole day, if I need.

Ben

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 10:45:46 PM »
This probably sounds ridiculous, but I actually sort of like the presence of commercials when I watch Price.  I dunno why, really...I know it's goofy, but it just seems like there ought to be some sort of gap between the segments of the show, and you don't really get that when you fast-forward through the ads.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 12:14:30 AM »
I dunno, Steve.  There's something wrong about doing one's duty, sitting through commercials, then having the next pricing game be Hole in One, which makes you sit through seven more commercials.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

joshg

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 01:09:28 AM »
With my TiVo, I can watch an episode of "Price" in 30 minutes. Watch the open, Bob comes out, press the FF button once, scan through the one bids, hit Play when they make it on stage, scan through the prize reads, Showcase Showdowns and Showcases; it's great when you have several episodes to watch in one sitting...

and you don't want to hear the announcer ;-)

Josh
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

joshg

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 01:13:58 AM »
[quote name=\'parliboy\' date=\'Nov 3 2004, 09:14 PM\']I dunno, Steve.  There's something wrong about doing one's duty, sitting through commercials, then having the next pricing game be Hole in One, which makes you sit through seven more commercials.
[snapback]62936[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hole in One or Two goes by quick when you scan past those "ads"; the game lasts two, three minutes tops.

Josh

P.S. There is a way to program the TiVo 'skip to beginning/end of show' button (or whatever it is called) to become a 30sec skip button. Best. Thing. Ever.
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

trainman

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 01:32:38 AM »
[quote name=\'Shredder\' date=\'Nov 3 2004, 01:24 PM\']Certain commercials are so tiring when watching gameshows, that I tend to tape most of them now and watch 'em back later.  Anyone else getting tired of seeing poor old Winford Brimley appear again and again add nauseum?  He must be making a fortune on the rerun money with those things..
[snapback]62891[/snapback]
[/quote]

I've had TiVo since January 2001.  The last time I watched a game show "live" was...well, I watched a Ken Jennings game in a hotel room in New York this past July.  But I certainly haven't watched many game shows without being able to fast-forward through the commercials in the last almost-four years.
trainman is a man of trains

Ian Wallis

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 08:56:55 AM »
Most game shows I watch - namely "Millionaire" and "Jeopardy" - I watch "live".  But I agree these endless commercials are getting annoying.  It used to be that you'd never have a commercial break that ran more than two minutes.  Now, breaks of four or even five minutes are routine.  It's the same on radio, and it's getting to be too much.  I know stations need the revenue from them, but the increasing amount is taking away some of the enjoyment.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2004, 10:43:13 AM »
If I'm home, I'll watch TPiR or J! live (I rarely watch WoF nowadays).  Otherwise, I'll scan through the videotape (and if something notable happens that was tipped here, I'll make sure to take a look--I don't mind being spoiled).

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

cmjb13

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2004, 10:55:28 AM »
I guess we all did after "Paranoia"
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

GS Warehouse

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2004, 03:03:54 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Nov 4 2004, 10:55 AM\']I guess we all did after "Paranoia"
[snapback]62973[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thanks to Janet Jackson, the days of live TV are all but over.

Why see a gs live?  It beats the alternative. :-)