Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Surgery for Patty Duke  (Read 2813 times)

DrBear

This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

tvrandywest

Surgery for Patty Duke
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 12:13:41 PM »
I know that nobody asked, but...

Just wanna share that Patty is among the nicest in the biz. From engaging in conversations during audience warm-ups (she rarely sees any "Patty Duke Show" reruns; when she flips past one while surfing, she feels like it's another person from another lifetime) to taking her turn getting repeatedly drenched in the dunk tank at AFTRA's 50th anniversary picnic. A sweetheart. Hoping for a full recovery.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

DrBear

Surgery for Patty Duke
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 03:13:57 PM »
And, if you've ever read her autobiography, "Call Me Anna," a courageous person as well.

(Oops! Should have remembered she was also, during her child-star days, a contestant on "The $64,000 Question" and got caught up in the quiz show scandals.)
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

pyrfan

Surgery for Patty Duke
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 04:49:36 PM »
With Patty, I always feel like what you see is what you get. I think that one of the reasons she did a number of game shows -- besides the fact that they're fun -- is that she genuinely likes people and enjoys helping them win money.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Patty!

Brendan

TimK2003

Surgery for Patty Duke
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 08:26:32 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Nov 3 2004, 03:13 PM\']And, if you've ever read her autobiography, "Call Me Anna," a courageous person as well.

(Oops! Should have remembered she was also, during her child-star days, a contestant on "The $64,000 Question" and got caught up in the quiz show scandals.)
[snapback]62881[/snapback]
[/quote]

Out of curiosity, was it ever revealed if Patty Duke and/or Dr. Joyce Brothers (another $64K contestant) were, ahem, "significantly prepared" for their appearances?

I know Dr. JB's area of questioning was in Boxing, what was Patty's?

tvrandywest

Surgery for Patty Duke
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 09:44:59 PM »
Out of curiosity, was it ever revealed if Patty Duke and/or Dr. Joyce Brothers (another $64K contestant) were, ahem, "significantly prepared" for their appearances?

I know Dr. JB's area of questioning was in Boxing, what was Patty's?

The generally accepted story is that Dr. Brothers was NOT coached, partially because she was NOT a favorite of producers. She is arguable a brilliant woman (after all, she's enjoyed a 5 decade run as a self-made media institution!) who is gifted with an incredible memory. Dr. Brothers chose a category that the producers liked because it was "against type", but it had a limited universe from which questions could be written. She confounded the producers with her apparently unerring knowledge of who fought who, when, for what boxing title. The curveball question designed to dethrone her was about the name of the REFEREE in an obscure match. She knew it!

I don't know much about Patty Duke's experience, and never spoke at length with her about it. She was a child at the time and, paraphrasing her words, was manipulated into the appearance by the couple (not her parents) that managed her career and exploited her.  One piece of folklore is that her crying on the stand during the hearings lead to her being one of the few to admit that she was lying about being briefed.

Bob Boden is among the most knowledgeable on this chapter of history. I will stand corrected if he is contacted and has any differing information.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 09:46:03 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Kent Broyhill

Surgery for Patty Duke
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 02:18:56 AM »
[quote name=\'pyrfan\' date=\'Nov 3 2004, 04:49 PM\']With Patty, I always feel like what you see is what you get. I think that one of the reasons she did a number of game shows -- besides the fact that they're fun -- is that she genuinely likes people and enjoys helping them win money.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Patty!

Brendan
[snapback]62897[/snapback]
[/quote]

Very much so!  Not only that, but I always thought she was SO adorable too!  :D

I second those best wishes for a speedy recovery for Patty too! :)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Surgery for Patty Duke
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 10:30:09 AM »
Here's a quick update.  And I join everyone else here in wishing her a speedy and full recovery.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)