Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: November Sweeps  (Read 3227 times)

Jay Temple

November Sweeps
« on: November 04, 2004, 11:28:15 PM »
Does anyone know the last day of the current sweeps period?  I know they sometimes begin or end mid-week.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Steve McClellan

November Sweeps
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 12:06:42 AM »
http://www.nielsenmedia.com/sweeps.html

Current sweeps period: Thurs., Nov. 4 - Wed., Dec. 1.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 12:07:47 AM by gameshowsteve »

tvwxman

November Sweeps
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 07:53:15 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Nov 4 2004, 11:28 PM\']Does anyone know the last day of the current sweeps period?  I know they sometimes begin or end mid-week.
[snapback]63044[/snapback]
[/quote]

They don't sometimes begin/end in mid week, they always do.

Starts on a Thursday, ends on a Wednesday 4 weeks later.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

GS Warehouse

November Sweeps
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2004, 10:42:55 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Nov 5 2004, 07:53 AM\']Starts on a Thursday, ends on a Wednesday 4 weeks later.
[snapback]63057[/snapback]
[/quote]
Why do Nielsen weeks start on Monday but sweep periods begin on Thursday?  It doesn't make sense.

goongas

November Sweeps
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 12:39:49 PM »
It may have to do with the fact that Thursday is TV's most watched night (correct me if I am wrong), so they want to start the period off on a positive note.

uncamark

November Sweeps
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2004, 02:29:44 PM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'Nov 5 2004, 12:39 PM\']It may have to do with the fact that Thursday is TV's most watched night (correct me if I am wrong), so they want to start the period off on a positive note.
[snapback]63082[/snapback]
[/quote]

I believe it's the second most-watched (Sunday's number one), but Thursday is also very important to advertisers, particularly movie studios opening new titles the next day and retailers doing weekend sales.

What is curious to me is why recordings and videos/DVDs are *generally* released on Tuesdays (with one very notable exception--"Shrek 2" comes out on video/DVD today).

Jay Temple

November Sweeps
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2004, 11:42:10 PM »
Interesting.  I always assumed that they started on a Monday because for the longest time, the weekday shows had their special events last one or two weeks and start on a Monday.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

geno57

November Sweeps
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2004, 10:07:22 AM »
Taking the thread in a slightly different direction ... Neilsen intends Sweeps months to become a thing of the past, and soon. They've introduced constant monitoring in some of the larger markets, using a device called the Portable People Meter. (Yes, it's a one-eyed, one-horned, flyin' portable people meter!)

Anyway ... before longer, it's likely we'll no longer have to watch local news programs compete to see who can come up with the sleaziest sweeps features. (No more "Look what we found on these motel bedspreads!")

Either that ... or someone will decide that we will need those kinds of stories all the time, instead of only sludging through them in November, February, and May!

GS Warehouse

November Sweeps
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2004, 01:47:03 PM »
[quote name=\'geno57\' date=\'Nov 6 2004, 10:07 AM\']Yes, it's a one-eyed, one-horned, flyin' portable people meter!
[snapback]63164[/snapback]
[/quote]
[throws Sheb Wooley albums at Geno]

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
November Sweeps
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2004, 02:34:04 PM »
[quote name=\'geno57\' date=\'Nov 6 2004, 08:07 AM\'](Yes, it's a one-eyed, one-horned, flyin' portable people meter!)
[/quote]
Sure seems strange to me. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe