Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Greatest...  (Read 3020 times)

starcade

The Greatest...
« on: November 05, 2004, 07:52:27 PM »
Maury used to call the all-time winnings record-holder the "King".

Ken transcends even that.  What he has been doing is so beyond any semblance of scope in today's game show world that one would have to wonder if any contestant worldwide has dominated a show like that.

Ken Jennings is beyond "King" -- I think the Ali title "The Greatest of All Time" applies.  He'd stop Chuck Forrest in his prime and eat Spangenberg for lunch in his.

He's done what, after Millionaire, would seem impossible:  break the all-time winnings record the way it used to be accumulated.

(No, Ken, if you are reading:  This is not a kiss-butt...  It's just so far beyond any scope of what has really ever been seen in the genre.)

And the saddest thing is that it's pretty well clear he will be the last great game show champion.  The shows might continue a few more years, but the reality is the genre is dying to more scripted and manipulated competition on network and all the Jerry Springer/court stuff in syndication.

zachhoran

The Greatest...
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 08:00:27 PM »
[quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Nov 5 2004, 07:52 PM\']Maury used to call the all-time winnings record-holder the "King".

And the saddest thing is that it's pretty well clear Kenjen will be the last great game show champion.  The shows might continue a few more years, but the reality is the genre is dying to more scripted and manipulated competition on network and all the Jerry Springer/court stuff in syndication.
[snapback]63146[/snapback]
[/quote]

Jerry is ending his show in 2005 or 2006, and I suspect  the court show trend will die in a few years, but we'll see. Maybe games will make a comeback, but this is the third consecutive year the NATPE convention has no new traditional game shows for the taking.

tvwxman

The Greatest...
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 08:12:33 PM »
[quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Nov 5 2004, 07:52 PM\']
Ken Jennings is beyond "King" -- I think the Ali title "The Greatest of All Time" applies.  He'd stop Chuck Forrest in his prime and eat Spangenberg for lunch in his.
[snapback]63146[/snapback]
[/quote]

Respectfully (mainly to Ken), I disagree.

I'd love to see Frank, Chuck, and the rest go up against him. If there were no 5 day limit back when, I think they would have gone the distance as well...

I'm looking forward to Ken going up against OTHER champions for the Tourney next year...I"m not saying he's not going to win, but I think a good challenger may give him a run for the big money....

And, If I'm Harry, Rocky, Gary, or the rest of the gang at J!, I'm already working on another Million Dollar Masters Tourney just to get these guys back to face Ken....
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
The Greatest...
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004, 09:34:07 AM »
Why don't they just sign him to a damn five-year contract like Dorothy Kilgallen?

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
The Greatest...
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 10:52:06 AM »
>> Why don't they just sign him to a damn five-year contract like Dorothy Kilgallen?

LINE! OF! THE DAY!!

Honestly, though, I have to agree with Matt. Of course, as we may know, Ken may be smart, but he didn't get where he is now if it weren't for J! dropping its 5-day limit. I WOULD probably like to see him face off against Frank, Chuck, Leszek, Brian Weikle, whomever else I can think of.......although it probably won't happen.
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

Jimmy Owen

The Greatest...
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2004, 11:54:41 AM »
In the annals of great contestants, the pantheon of champions, the valhalla of memorable players, no one, not even Ken Jennings, will come close to the everlasting impact made by Yolanda Bowersly. GAME, SET & MATCH!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2004, 11:57:28 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Ian Wallis

The Greatest...
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2004, 12:43:57 PM »
And the saddest thing is that it's pretty well clear he will be the last great game show champion.

That brings up an interesting question:  since "Jeopardy" has dropped it's 5-day limit, do you think we'll ever see another person get even half-way to where Ken is now?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

ChuckNet

The Greatest...
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2004, 07:01:04 PM »
Jerry is ending his show in 2005 or 2006

2005, I believe, since his 2003 contract extension was for another 2 yrs. I do think, however, that he should wait at least a year before considering a US Senatorial run.

ObGameShow: Springer hosted the short-lived 2001 UK version of Greed and was originally under consideration to host Fear Factor over here.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")