Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Shows...  (Read 6766 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Game Shows...
« on: November 08, 2004, 08:18:52 PM »
Mods...if you feel this is "insensitive" or innappropriate, please delete it.
Anyhow...
I was on MSN late one night with another member of this forum.  We had discussed game shows, and the type of people that view them. If I recall the conversation correctly, we came to the general conclusion that many people who have ADD (or ADHD), hyperactivity, or mental impairments enjoy game shows, as opposed to other genres of television.

For those of you who may have taken some upper level psychology courses while in school either as a part of your major, or as undergraduate work, is there a plausable explaination for this, or is this heresay?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 03:42:19 AM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

adamjk

Game Shows...
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 08:22:52 PM »
I have not taken psychology courses in school, but I think this is not true. Reason being, and this is just my opinion mind you, but I think that a person who has ADD isn't really gonna want to sit down for a half hour or an hour to watch a game show. I think they would want something faster paced, with more action.

aaron sica

Game Shows...
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 08:36:59 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Nov 8 2004, 08:22 PM\']I have not taken psychology courses in school, but I think this is not true. Reason being, and this is just my opinion mind you, but I think that a person who has ADD isn't really gonna want to sit down for a half hour or an hour to watch a game show. I think they would want something faster paced, with more action.
[snapback]63345[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, I think someone with ADD would probably enjoy TPiR. If you don't like what they're doing, stick around a few minutes, and it'll change...

dzinkin

Game Shows...
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 08:47:16 PM »
Mark: Two people do not constitute a "general consensus."

Adam: Exactly how much do you know about ADD?  (Hint: "my friend told me" doesn't count.)

That said, I do have some experience with psychology -- it was my minor in college and I taught it for a time -- and I don't think it's at all surprising that people with various intellectual/mental deficiencies are attracted to game shows.  Intellectual stimulation is what draws most of us to the likes of Jeopardy! and WWTBAM, but there are many other kinds of stimuli -- flashing lights, buzzers, theme music, etc. -- that can appeal to just about anyone, no matter the level of function.

Moreover, people with autism often find comfort in repetition -- and whether it's the reading of the rules on Hollywood Squares, WWTBAM's "Is That Your Final Answer?" or the IUFBs on TPIR, if there's one thing that's a fixture on game shows, it's repetition.

Just my thoughts... I'd be interested in what others have to say, as we have many people here who have varying experiences in psychology, teaching and other associated fields.

adamjk

Game Shows...
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 08:48:52 PM »
As far as my knowledge on ADD goes, I know that it makes it hard to focus on things, especially in school.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game Shows...
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 09:00:07 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Nov 8 2004, 06:48 PM\']As far as my knowledge on ADD goes, I know that it makes it hard to focus on things, especially in school.
[snapback]63351[/snapback]
[/quote]
Wow.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MikeK

• Martha!
Game Shows...
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 09:04:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Nov 8 2004, 08:18 PM\']I was on MSN late one night with another member of this forum.  We had discussed game shows, and the type of people that view them. If I recall the conversation correctly, we came to the general consensus that many people who have ADD (or ADHD), hyperactivity, or mental impairments enjoy game shows, as opposed to other genres of television.

For those of you who may have taken some psychology courses while in school, is their a plausable explaination for this, or is this heresay?[/quote]

This is a touchy subject.  I'll tiptoe through it very carefully.  As someone who was diagnosed with ADD a decade ago, I don't object to the wording or questioning at all.  When reading this, please remember I'm a student, not a professional.  I've taken four psychology courses plus I'm taking a class about special needs this semester.

Two characteristics of autism are finding comfort in repetitive, non-changing situations (which Dave mentioned) and being obsessive about a particular topic.  On a day-to-day basis, very little changes on a game show.  Outside of a drastic rule change or a makeover of the set, the game's played the same way every day, except that you'd likely see new people on each episode.

On game shows, there are no deep plots which might last a year or two, multiple plots going on at once, or dozens of characters and personalities.  All one needs to know about a game show is the basic rules, and most rules could be understood after watching a single episode.  In most cases, there are 5 episodes per week, compared to one time a week for most primetime shows.  In addition, usually in half an hour or less, you know who wins, who lost, and why.  There's also the sounds, the flashing lights, and the spinning wheels, all of which appeal to peoples' senses.

As I mentioned above, I was diagnosed with ADD a decade ago.  My attraction to game shows was the mental challenge.  I know that reason is probably in the minority as to why people like game shows.  It doesn't really answer the question.  I thought I'd toss my 2 cents into the matter.  (As an aside, my attention span is very short, usually 15 or 20 minutes before my mind wanders off to places unknown.  I can recall a minute detail I learned in 5th grade some 20+ years ago but I can't remember what happened less than half an hour ago.  Go figure.)  Aaron brought up a great point about AD(H)D and TPiR--wait six minutes and you'll have a different activity.

When I get home this evening, I'll send an e-mail to my special needs professor about this topic.  If she isn't terribly busy, I'd like to hear her professional opinion on this question.  I'll post her reply, given that both she replies and she gives me permission to post her thoughts in a public forum.

clemon79

Game Shows...
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 09:06:29 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Nov 8 2004, 07:04 PM\']When I get home this evening, I'll send an e-mail to my special needs professor about this topic.  If she isn't terribly busy, I'd like to hear her professional opinion on this question.  I'll post her reply, given that both she replies and she gives me permission to post her thoughts in a public forum.
[snapback]63355[/snapback]
[/quote]
You all realize that the joke here is if he forgets to do it, right? ;)

tommycharles

Game Shows...
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2004, 11:34:51 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Nov 8 2004, 08:48 PM\']As far as my knowledge on ADD goes, I know that it makes it hard to focus on things, especially in school.
[snapback]63351[/snapback]
[/quote]

Let's archive this post, so so everyone knows the definition of a Bowling Buddy :-p

Steve Gavazzi

Game Shows...
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2004, 11:40:25 PM »
As a person with ADD who has written a rather comprehensive FAQ about The Price is Right, I'd have to say that Adam's assessment of the genre isn't very accurate.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2004, 11:42:53 PM by Steve Gavazzi »

aaron sica

Game Shows...
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2004, 12:04:25 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Nov 8 2004, 11:40 PM\']As a person with ADD who has written a rather comprehensive FAQ about The Price is Right, I'd have to say that Adam's assessment of the genre isn't very accurate.
[snapback]63366[/snapback]
[/quote]

I don't know very much about ADD either, so my post is just about up there with Adam's  as well....

Steve Gavazzi

Game Shows...
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2004, 01:57:40 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Nov 9 2004, 12:04 AM\'][quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Nov 8 2004, 11:40 PM\']As a person with ADD who has written a rather comprehensive FAQ about The Price is Right, I'd have to say that Adam's assessment of the genre isn't very accurate.
[snapback]63366[/snapback]
[/quote]

I don't know very much about ADD either, so my post is just about up there with Adam's  as well....
[snapback]63367[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, I'm no expert, either, but your point is pretty logical (and Mike backs that up).  Adam's point, on the other hand, blatantly contradicts my life and appears to indicate that he literally has no clue what he's talking about.

clemon79

Game Shows...
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2004, 02:16:10 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Nov 8 2004, 11:57 PM\']Adam's point, on the other hand, blatantly contradicts my life and appears to indicate that he literally has no clue what he's talking about.
[snapback]63369[/snapback]
[/quote]
This is what we in the industry like to refer to as "speaking ex rectum".

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Game Shows...
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2004, 03:46:40 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Nov 8 2004, 08:47 PM\']Mark: Two people do not constitute a "general consensus."
[/quote]
Poor choice of words on my part.  Original post edited.
Hopefully I didn't offend anyone out there with this topic.  I felt that it was appropriate for discussion; at least; moreso in the grand scheme of things.

Steve--Is this TPiR FAQ you mentioned avaiable online?  If so, where?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 03:53:05 AM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

dzinkin

Game Shows...
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2004, 07:53:27 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 9 2004, 02:16 AM\']This is what we in the industry like to refer to as "speaking ex rectum".
[snapback]63370[/snapback]
[/quote]
Correction: it's what people in many fields like to refer to as "speaking ex rectum". :-)