Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Somebody explain a Wheel puzzle for me?  (Read 3946 times)

Gromit

Somebody explain a Wheel puzzle for me?
« on: November 18, 2004, 10:41:02 PM »
The Category was "Same Name" and the final answer was "Mothers Day & Report Card".

I'm totally stumped as to what that means. I don't see any names, or any sames in there.

JayC

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 10:44:42 PM »
A mother's day card and a report card.

Fedya

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 10:46:59 PM »
It sounds to me like the WoF writers are scraping the bottom of the barrel.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Gromit

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 11:12:06 PM »
D'oh! That's embarassingly simple. I guess it's obvious I don't watch Wheel much.

Thanks.

Desperado

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 11:45:46 PM »
Don't feel bad.  That puzzle stinks.  Wheel seriously needs to go away.

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2004, 11:37:30 AM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Nov 18 2004, 10:46 PM\']It sounds to me like the WoF writers are scraping the bottom of the barrel.
[snapback]64259[/snapback]
[/quote]

Oh, trust me, they've been scraping for a while now...they've dug a hole in the barrel. :-P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

aaron sica

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2004, 12:37:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Nov 18 2004, 10:41 PM\']The Category was "Same Name" and the final answer was "Mothers Day & Report Card".

I'm totally stumped as to what that means. I don't see any names, or any sames in there.
[snapback]64257[/snapback]
[/quote]

This is absolutely NOTHING against you, because I'm sure you were not the only one in the world that was confused by that puzzle..but when a game show starts to be confusing, that's NOT a good thing....

Ian Wallis

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2004, 12:55:23 PM »
This is absolutely NOTHING against you, because I'm sure you were not the only one in the world that was confused by that puzzle..but when a game show starts to be confusing, that's NOT a good thing....

I believe I read somewhere that "Wheel" never re-uses a puzzle.  Maybe they're just trying to be "too cute".  (Same could be said of "Jeopardy" sometimes with the titles of categories).

Considering how many episodes each of these shows has done, what's wrong with re-using a puzzle from, say... 15 years ago?  Nobody (with the possible exception of a few of us) would ever know it's a redo.

Shows like "Tattletales" and "Family Feud" re-used questions on occasion - but having them on GSN has helped us confirm that.  When you saw them originally, there were probably some re-used questions that you didn't even know were re-used at the time.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2004, 03:51:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Nov 19 2004, 12:55 PM\']I believe I read somewhere that "Wheel" never re-uses a puzzle.  Maybe they're just trying to be "too cute".  (Same could be said of "Jeopardy" sometimes with the titles of categories).
[snapback]64295[/snapback]
[/quote]

I've seen Wheel use the puzzle "Whose Line is it Anyway" on two different episodes (one of them placed the question mark at the end and the other omitted the question mark, but it's obviously the same puzzle). And I believe I've read posts where it was mentioned that a bonus round puzzle was seen some odd number of years ago (seems like they'd have to be reusing things by now).

There are only so many clever Before & After and Same Name puzzles you can write, and it looks like they've already used all the good ones.

--
Scott Robinson

dale_grass

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2004, 04:55:35 PM »
Shows like "Tattletales" and "Family Feud" re-used questions on occasion

It works better for Family Feud because of changing times.  While some answers to a particular question would show up in both eras, others are indicative of the culture at the time.  If Dawson and Karn both asked, "Name something on the dash of a car," a '76 contestant might answer "eight-track player" while an '04 contestant might answer "OnStar."  

All that the writers of WoF can depend on is an ever-expanding lexicon.  For example, "surfing the web" didn't exist in 1994.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2004, 06:54:03 PM »
I thought they were scraping with one of their first Same Name categories. Remember "Damn and New York Yankees"?

Incidentally, even WWTBAM has reused questions on occassion.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2004, 06:56:41 PM by whoserman »

mystery7

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2004, 01:26:45 AM »
I remember Pyramid recycling their material quite a bit more often than other shows did. Sometimes they even gave old categories new names. Still though, how many puns can you come up with for "Kinds Of Hats?"

Wait, don't answer that.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2004, 01:51:18 AM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Nov 20 2004, 11:26 PM\']Still though, how many puns can you come up with for "Kinds Of Hats?"

Wait, don't answer that.
[snapback]64423[/snapback]
[/quote]
"Off The Top Of My Head"
"Strike A Cha-Peaus"
"Cap It Off"
"The One I Fedora"

I could go on. ;)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tyshaun1

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2004, 08:49:54 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 21 2004, 01:51 AM\']"Off The Top Of My Head"
"Strike A Cha-Peaus"
"Cap It Off"
"The One I Fedora"

I could go on. ;)
[snapback]64425[/snapback]
[/quote]
Please don't, I think we've had our ten-gallon fill.

[heads off to the new Bargain Hunters room]

Tyshaun