Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Companies  (Read 7681 times)

melman1

Game Show Companies
« on: July 20, 2003, 02:50:07 PM »
The \"working at G/T\" thread reminded me of a question that I've had for a while.  The end credits for Blockbusters say that it's a G/T production, but the copyright is listed as \"The Blockbusters Company\".  Most shows seem to work that way - MG's copyright was \"Celebrity Productions Inc.\", I think.

What's that all about?  Why so many layers - I mean, I assume G/T Productions was an independent company.  The shows were all taped and edited/produced at studios owned by the networks, right?  So some people worked for the networks (I assume Johnny O. was a staff announcer for CBS?), some for G/T, others for \"The Blockbusters Co.\"?

If anyone can explain how this worked, I'd appreciate it.
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

cmjb13

Game Show Companies
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2003, 03:13:32 PM »
Those who worked in the biz can correct me here, but I believe they were separate entities because if the show failed, only that part took a hit.

Ex: TTTT company.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

tvrandywest

Game Show Companies
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2003, 03:23:58 PM »
Yes, it's a universal practice.

Establishing independent corporations limits the parent company's liability, and can often offer additional benefits at tax time. If you think individual tax returns are complicated, corporate tax law is a killer without good guidance and strategy.

Randy
tvrandywest.com

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Game Show Companies
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2003, 04:51:15 PM »
It's pretty darn hard for a network game show to lose money. All of the costs are pretty well known up front and are factored into the license fee. The risk is in underestimating the prize budget. Way back in the '50s around the time of the quiz scandal, Tic Tac Dough was reportedly going over its prize budget consistently. I don't know how the overage was dealt with, but nowadays you'd negotiate a higher prize budget with the network. On shows such as TTTT or Tattletales the prize budget is negligible.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game Show Companies
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2003, 05:07:58 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 20 2003, 01:51 PM\'] On shows such as TTTT or Tattletales the prize budget is negligible. [/quote]
 And on Tattletales, how do you miss? You budget for $1750 a show and you can never go wrong! For every show where they have time for an extra question, there's a show where the $300 question went missed, so it evens out. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvrandywest

Game Show Companies
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2003, 12:11:04 PM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Jul 20 2003, 01:50 PM\'] So some people worked for the networks (I assume Johnny O. was a staff announcer for CBS?), some for G/T, others for \"The Blockbusters Co.\"?

If anyone can explain how this worked, I'd appreciate it. [/quote]
In the most simplistic terms (Can I actually write a short post?):

Network needs programming, production company pitches new show that the net likes, a budget is negotiated. Rather than pay cash for the production company to provide stuff the net already owns (like studio space, equipment, crew, etc.), the net simply provides those things.

Those things the net already has or is already paying for that it agrees to provide for the show are generally \"below the line\" items (facilities, crew, etc.). The production company brings the \"above the line\" items (producers, directors, talent, writers, etc.).

So yes, some people work for the net (camera op., audience page, etc.) and some work for the production company and/or its subsidiary (Johnny O, make-up, etc.), and others work for outside companies that are hired to provide stuff for the show (electronic scoring, catering, etc.).

That's a general and simplistic example. As each show is different, a million exceptions can be listed for individual shows. Do we really need to go there?   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: July 21, 2003, 12:13:30 PM by tvrandywest »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Game Show Companies
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2003, 12:31:51 PM »
Rather than pay cash for the production company to provide stuff the net already owns (like studio space, equipment, crew, etc.), the net simply provides those things.

Unless it's changed, the network does charge for below the line against a show's below-the-line budget. A show may be budgeted for only a certain size crew (say, four cameras instead of six) based on an eight-hour taping day. That's why producers get nervous if a taping goes into overtime.

melman1

Game Show Companies
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2003, 03:47:44 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 21 2003, 09:31 AM\'] based on an eight-hour taping day. That's why producers get nervous if a taping goes into overtime. [/quote]
 During a typical day (5 shows, or 6 for shows like MG that had a PM version too), how many times did they switch audiences - never, every show, every other show?
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

uncamark

Game Show Companies
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2003, 03:50:59 PM »
During a typical day (5 shows, or 6 for shows like MG that had a PM version too), how many times did they switch audiences - never, every show, every other show?

Most shows do two audience seatings--generally, there's a meal break between shows three and four where the audience changes.  I believe \"MG\" followed the same schedule--or did they have three audience seatings, with the breaks after shows two and four?

tvrandywest

Game Show Companies
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2003, 06:09:52 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 21 2003, 11:31 AM\'] Unless it's changed, the network does charge for below the line against a show's below-the-line budget. A show may be budgeted for only a certain size crew (say, four cameras instead of six) based on an eight-hour taping day. That's why producers get nervous if a taping goes into overtime. [/quote]
Well that's the last time I try to write a short post!

You're right, Chris. Of course extra time, equipment and personnel will exceed what was budgeted for below the line costs, and that may result in a chargeback by the network to the production company. In the same way, if Bob Boden shows up for lunch the catering budget will be exceeded. And if the set catches on fire and needs to be rebuilt, set construction will go over budget.

As stated, I was just outlining a simplistic explanation about how things work for someone apparently not at all familiar with the business end of the biz. Chris, if you indeed spotted an error, please let me know.

On my next day off I'm staying off the net and going to the beach! ;-)

Oh, about audiences...

In the late 60s / early 70s when \"gang banging\"episodes to tape (as opposed to live broadcasting shows one at a time) was still relatively new, one GT show in New York taped 2 episodes on Tuesday and 3 episodes on Wednesday. Three audiences were used, none seeing more than 2 shows, one group seeing only one episode.

Back then there was no shortage of folks who were excited to sit in an audience and see a television show come together. It was a novelty for most people, tourists especially. Just look at those audience shots - people actually dressed up to see a TV show! And there were few delays as talent and crews had all come up in the era of live TV, and production values were simpler.

It all evolved. Iirc, Match Game 7x taped 6 episodes and utilized 2 audiences. Dick's Pyramid on that same stage 33 taped 10 episodes some days and loaded 4 audiences (with members who wished they were \"loaded\").

Today it seems that everybody has seen a show tape and many have memories of a night at a sitcom that never ended. So with fewer willing participants, audiences are \"sweetened\" with paid members, and everyone is expected to stay through more episodes. Warm-up has become a more important job as producers try to keep bodies in the seats for hours on end as 3, 4 or even more episodes are taped. Sometimes it's more like adult daycare as we play games, have talent competitions and even order pizza for the audience!

It's not just \"killing\" time, it's now escalated to first degree murder! Gene Wood once had a group of Marines in an audience. During a delay in taping he had them march in formation as he shouted \"left face\", \"right face\", etc.!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: July 22, 2003, 01:58:13 PM by tvrandywest »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Game Show Companies
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2003, 04:36:46 AM »
It's impossible to fully appreciate the role of someone like Randy until they've actually sat through a taping that took 3 - 4 times longer than it should have. I once worked on a taping (debacle is more like it) where the director decided to spend the better part of an hour screwing around with a lighting non-problem. We had a live audience and the poor warm-up guy was literally sweating to keep the crowd from totally losing interest. I don't think anyone else on the staff had a clue as to the ordeal this guy was going through, but it was almost \"Want to see me pull that rabbit out of the hat -- again?\".

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Game Show Companies
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2003, 06:03:28 AM »
Match Game taped 3 and 2 or 3 and 3 depending on whether they were taping Match Game PM. If they didn't like an audience they might tape 2 and 3, changing audiences one show early.

davemackey

Game Show Companies
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2003, 01:08:44 AM »
Dick's Pyramid on that same stage 33 taped 10 episodes some days and loaded 4 audiences (with members who wished they were \"loaded\").
In my experience (which is so much more limited than yours), the \"nighttime\" Pyramid taping had the same audience for all five shows. Robair and I once literally stepped out of the plane, into a rental car, and down to Television City for one of those Friday night Pyramid marathons where we did see a $100,000 win - what a way to start a trip!

tvrandywest

Game Show Companies
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2003, 01:39:33 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Jul 23 2003, 12:08 AM\'] In my experience (which is so much more limited than yours), the "nighttime" Pyramid taping had the same audience for all five shows. Robair and I once literally stepped out of the plane, into a rental car, and down to Television City for one of those Friday night Pyramid marathons where we did see a $100,000 win - what a way to start a trip! [/quote]
 An awesome start to a vacation for any game show freak!

I have no doubt that you and anyone else wanting to stay for 5 shows were happily accommodated. While nobody cranks the machine faster than Sande Stewart, and Dick Clark's happiest moment is walking out of the building on schedule, I'm pretty sure that many audience members must have left over the course of those 3+ hours. No doubt the pages were filling vacant seats as they could, and I hope there were tourists waiting. When the crowd was light for those tapings, or when shows had those rare but lengthy stopdowns, pages were sent next door to the Farmers' Market to perform abductions!

Do you remember who the announcer was that evening? Johnny Gilbert perhaps?

Randy
tvrandywest.com

GSFan

Game Show Companies
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2003, 10:34:13 AM »
Back in the day when Pyramid taped in New York, two shows were taped between 12:00 and 1:15 PM.  They would release the audience and take a 90 minute lunch break.  A new audience would be brought into the studio and they would resume taping the remaining three shows beginning at 3:00.  There would be a half hour break between shows four and five, allowing anyone wanting to leave or come in to do just that.  By 5:30, there would be a weeks worth of shows in the can.

The syndicated $25,000 Pyramid would tape six shows in one day, enabling them to tape an entire season in five days, usually spread out over a one to two month period.  The latest I recall leaving Studio 15 after a 25K taping was 7:30 PM.

David
March 26, 2023 - 50 years of Pyramid!