Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Stupid Match Game Question  (Read 4365 times)

Shredder

Stupid Match Game Question
« on: November 16, 2004, 06:30:21 PM »
I dunno if MG ever taped or aired at CBS during the early years, but..

Did Match Game ever tape at the same Studio that TPIR did?  I was watching one of the MG's over the week, and noticed a strange little indent at the middle of the stage.  Looks just big enough for the Contetant Row setup...

Just curious.

FeudDude

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 06:34:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Shredder\' date=\'Nov 16 2004, 06:30 PM\']I dunno if MG ever taped or aired at CBS during the early years, but..

Did Match Game ever tape at the same Studio that TPIR did?  I was watching one of the MG's over the week, and noticed a strange little indent at the middle of the stage.  Looks just big enough for the Contetant Row setup...

Just curious.
[snapback]64008[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure it taped at Studio 33 (now known as the Bob Barker Studio) during the entire 1973-82 run.

The Pyramids

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 06:35:52 PM »
I think that is correct as well.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 06:52:13 PM »
That q made me look up the NBC versions to see if they ever shared the same studio in NYC (the answer is no).  The encyclopedia always has TPIR set up at a theater rather than 30 Rock.  Any speculation as to why?  Elaborate staging?  Capacity?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 07:17:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Nov 16 2004, 04:52 PM\']That q made me look up the NBC versions to see if they ever shared the same studio in NYC (the answer is no).  The encyclopedia always has TPIR set up at a theater rather than 30 Rock.  Any speculation as to why?  Elaborate staging?  Capacity?
[snapback]64016[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yes.

NBC had a couple of legitimate theaters which had been converted for television. If you've ever been to 30 Rock, the studios are above street level and are accessed by elevator, making it a PITA to get prizes in and out. Much simpler to use a theater at street level.

But the question remains: Why did Say When!, which also had prizes to display, tape in studio 6A at 30 Rock?

Kevin Prather

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 07:18:14 PM »
Did all the studios at Television City have that indent?

cmjb13

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 07:31:39 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Nov 16 2004, 07:18 PM\']Did all the studios at Television City have that indent?
[snapback]64023[/snapback]
[/quote]
No.

Only Studio 33 has the sunken audience.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Kevin Prather

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 08:42:05 PM »
Ah.

Oh yeah. Press Your Luck had a rising audience, didn't it? Silly me.

*slaps self*

ChuckNet

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004, 10:40:44 PM »
NBC had a couple of legitimate theaters which had been converted for television. If you've ever been to 30 Rock, the studios are above street level and are accessed by elevator, making it a PITA to get prizes in and out.

That was also why Ed Flesh had to cut the original $otC set in half, as reported in the EoTVGS.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

bricon

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2004, 10:46:54 PM »
I'm pretty sure it taped at Studio 33 (now known as the Bob Barker Studio) during the entire 1973-82 run.

There is at least one week of shows that was not done in 33.  I've seen it on GSN...and as the camera pulls back for Gene's entrance, you can tell the back of the house camera is above bleachers set on the floor.  It made the set look smaller, in my opinion, on the wide shot.

Only Studio 33 has the sunken audience.

When TV City was built, studio 31, adjacent to 33, had a sunken audience.  It was filled in sometime in the late 1950's when CBS needed a larger playing area to handle live dramas in that studio.  Currently "The Bold & The Beautiful" is taped in studio 31.

ObGameShow: John O'Hurley's "To Tell The Truth" pilot taped in 31.  That was the last game show taped in there.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2004, 11:03:34 PM »
[quote name=\'bricon\' date=\'Nov 16 2004, 09:46 PM\']

There is at least one week of shows that was not done in 33.  I've seen it on GSN...and as the camera pulls back for Gene's entrance, you can tell the back of the house camera is above bleachers set on the floor.  It made the set look smaller, in my opinion, on the wide shot.
[snapback]64063[/snapback]
[/quote]
You are correct, sir.  I know the 3/74 (roughly) week with Steve Allen was not taped in 33 (what I don't know is whether the subsequent week before, week after, both or neither were also taped outside of 33).  What I also don't know is what studio they taped at instead for that week (nor do I know why the change).

I also don't know much about history, don't know much biology. . .  :)

Doug -- and the countdown to 800 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

whewfan

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2004, 05:26:23 AM »
I believe that week in 74 with Steve Allen was in Studio 31. I believe in some episodes, if you look carefully, you can see the red, yellow and blue used for Tattletales

TonicBH

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2004, 05:45:54 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Nov 17 2004, 05:26 AM\']I believe that week in 74 with Steve Allen was in Studio 31. I believe in some episodes, if you look carefully, you can see the red, yellow and blue used for Tattletales
[snapback]64086[/snapback]
[/quote]

Speaking of that Red, Yellow and Blue on Tattletales, you could see it on some 1984 PYL episodes because both shows shared that same stage (Studio 31, I believe).
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2004, 06:06:53 PM »
>> Speaking of that Red, Yellow and Blue on Tattletales, you could see it on some 1984 PYL episodes because both shows shared that same stage (Studio 31, I believe).
I thought it was 41.
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

uncamark

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2004, 06:18:01 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Nov 16 2004, 10:40 PM\']
NBC had a couple of legitimate theaters which had been converted for television. If you've ever been to 30 Rock, the studios are above street level and are accessed by elevator, making it a PITA to get prizes in and out.

That was also why Ed Flesh had to cut the original $otC set in half, as reported in the EoTVGS.

[snapback]64059[/snapback]
[/quote]

Not to mention "Concentration" when they did their occasional (usually during an Envelope bit) car display.

In fact, I had the feeling that "$OTC" had to do the same thing for cars--not to get them into 8H, but to get them in the 30 Rock freight elevator.