Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Moneymaze  (Read 2484 times)

byrd62

The Moneymaze
« on: November 16, 2004, 08:57:40 PM »
The end of this year marks the 30th anniversary of ABC debuting The Moneymaze, the New York-based, Dick Cavett-backed gameshow hosted by Nick Clooney, along with announcer Alan Kalter.  

While we know where both Nick and Alan eventually ended up in the years since that 26-week run of the 'maze, I kind of wondered how it would work today.

My inspiration came in a Fear Factor segment from a couple of years ago [it could pop up in reruns on FX or check your local listings], where contestants went through a maze in the fastest time, pushing buttons to raise "flags", and fending off guard dogs in the process [fortunately, the contestants wore protective clothing].  

Eschewing the guard dogs part, if Moneymaze were to be remade today, I think it could be as an hour-long reality-game where 5 two-person teams [married couples, relatives or friends] compete.  

First, you drop the question part from the old version.  The rest works like this:

One player guides the partner through the maze to push 5 tower buttons [as in the old version, you have to "hit the side of the tower that is lit up and flashing"] in the fastest time.  The winners get to play for $100,000 by lighting up all 11 towers [or $1000 for each lit tower] plus the finish-line button in 100 seconds.  [If you don't hit the finish-line button, you win nothing.]  In an added twist, if a certain tower is lit, it stops the clock for a :20 "free run", meaning a maximum 120 seconds [2:00].

To give it that reality feel, there would be lots of pre-recorded comments from the contestants, as on Fear Factor.

Just a thought.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Moneymaze
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 09:56:07 PM »
[quote name=\'byrd62\' date=\'Nov 16 2004, 06:57 PM\']One player guides the partner through the maze to push 5 tower buttons [as in the old version, you have to "hit the side of the tower that is lit up and flashing"] in the fastest time.  The winners get to play for $100,000 by lighting up all 11 towers [or $1000 for each lit tower] plus the finish-line button in 100 seconds.
[/quote]
As long as we can still send in the dogs after 20 seconds or so, it works for me.

(Hey, you old-skool ATGSers (you know, back when it was good) remember El Gran Juego De La Oca. That show kicked Fear Factor's ass all over the lot.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe