Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I've Got A Secret  (Read 7184 times)

johnnyd1788

I've Got A Secret
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2004, 06:17:20 PM »
My dad used to watch it when he was flipping channels, and most of the time there would be a marathon. This show was OK, but since I am a lover of the classics It's not one of my favorites. The set did have a home-type feel for it, though.

Matt Ottinger

I've Got A Secret
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2004, 07:41:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Nov 17 2004, 06:24 PM\']On "What's My Line?" though, don't you root for the contestant to stump the panel? Same way on "TTTT." That the game will be played well ought to be a given, at least if the game is to work. (Except on "It Pays to Be Ignorant."[/quote]
I agree with you for TTTT, which involves some amount of effort on the challengers' part. But as for WML or IGAS, no, I'm not rooting for the contestant (I actually prefer "subject") to stump anybody.  That's not the game.  Give them a nice prize and a story to tell their grandchildren (and a plug for their service or product, whcih is worth more than any of the other).  But don't play the game for an actual stake.  I assure you the audience at home is not watching a panel show to see a contestant make money.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

MikeK

• Martha!
I've Got A Secret
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2004, 07:55:15 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Nov 17 2004, 06:14 PM\']Unfortunately, no game format, be it traditional or reality, has shown up on Oh! since "IGAS" ended production.[/quote]Last year, Oxygen had an original game called "Can You Tell?" with Tony Rock (Chris' brother) as host.  It lasted a few months.

uncamark

I've Got A Secret
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2004, 03:28:48 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Nov 17 2004, 07:55 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Nov 17 2004, 06:14 PM\']Unfortunately, no game format, be it traditional or reality, has shown up on Oh! since "IGAS" ended production.[/quote]Last year, Oxygen had an original game called "Can You Tell?" with Tony Rock (Chris' brother) as host.  It lasted a few months.
[snapback]64170[/snapback]
[/quote]

And for me, pre-Oh! on Comcast Chicago, which is why I don't remember it...

Jimmy Owen

I've Got A Secret
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2004, 03:40:46 PM »
Oprah probably has a dish, but it's interesting that the cable company in her city of residence was a latecomer to her channel.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

uncamark

I've Got A Secret
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2004, 04:17:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Nov 18 2004, 03:40 PM\']Oprah probably has a dish, but it's interesting that the cable company in her city of residence was a latecomer to her channel.
[snapback]64221[/snapback]
[/quote]

She could've subscribed to RCN--they've had Oh! almost from Day One.

And then again, maybe she didn't...  :)

Don Howard

I've Got A Secret
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2004, 04:34:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 17 2004, 07:41 PM\']I assure you the audience at home is not watching a panel show to see a contestant make money.
[snapback]64169[/snapback]
[/quote]
The contestants got the $50 on What's My Line? no matter what, didn't they? Flipping the cards was simply a score-keeping measure, I believe...this according to what has been referred to as The Holy Fates Scriptures.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 04:39:41 PM by Don Howard »

Neumms

I've Got A Secret
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2004, 07:26:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 17 2004, 07:41 PM\'][quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Nov 17 2004, 06:24 PM\']On "What's My Line?" though, don't you root for the contestant to stump the panel? Same way on "TTTT." That the game will be played well ought to be a given, at least if the game is to work. (Except on "It Pays to Be Ignorant."[/quote]
I agree with you for TTTT, which involves some amount of effort on the challengers' part. But as for WML or IGAS, no, I'm not rooting for the contestant (I actually prefer "subject") to stump anybody.  That's not the game.  Give them a nice prize and a story to tell their grandchildren (and a plug for their service or product, whcih is worth more than any of the other).  But don't play the game for an actual stake.  I assure you the audience at home is not watching a panel show to see a contestant make money.
[/quote]

You're right, "root" is probably too strong a word. But it's fun when the subjects stump the panel, and it's not much fun if nobody ever stumps them. And I suppose that's why TTTT may hold up a little better today than the others, because the imposters really are playing a game.

tommycharles

I've Got A Secret
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2004, 11:30:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Nov 18 2004, 04:34 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 17 2004, 07:41 PM\']I assure you the audience at home is not watching a panel show to see a contestant make money.
[/quote]
The contestants got the $50 on What's My Line? no matter what, didn't they? Flipping the cards was simply a score-keeping measure, I believe...this according to what has been referred to as The Holy Fates Scriptures.
[snapback]64226[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think this only took effect starting with Bruner's last season.

Tim L

I've Got A Secret
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2004, 11:40:49 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Nov 18 2004, 11:30 PM\'][quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Nov 18 2004, 04:34 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 17 2004, 07:41 PM\']I assure you the audience at home is not watching a panel show to see a contestant make money.
[/quote]
[snapback]64226[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think this only took effect starting with Bruner's last season.
[snapback]64265[/snapback]
[/quote]

Early In The WML? Run John Daly pretty much went by the score the contestant got wheter it was $5  or $15 or whatever  As the years went by If he felt like giving the whole $50.00, He would just do it.. Eventually Money wasnt mentioned.especially In The Syndicated version..

Ian Wallis

I've Got A Secret
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2004, 08:49:42 AM »
Early In The WML? Run John Daly pretty much went by the score the contestant got wheter it was $5 or $15 or whatever As the years went by If he felt like giving the whole $50.00, He would just do it.. Eventually Money wasnt mentioned.especially In The Syndicated version..

I think on most of the syndicated episodes, the announcer would say "in addition to cash awards, most of our contestants will receive...."  The odd thing is that in the last few seasons, we never knew what the cash awards were.  By the time Larry Blyden took over, the cards no longer read 5, 10 ,15, etc., but 10, 9, 8, down to 0.  If it hit 0, the panel lost.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Neumms

I've Got A Secret
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2004, 06:22:53 PM »
Did the primetime Cullen-hosted run include cash awards? Does anyone know if the Harry Anderson WML? pilots did? How much?

Matt Ottinger

I've Got A Secret
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2004, 06:41:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Nov 19 2004, 09:49 AM\']I think on most of the syndicated episodes, the announcer would say "in addition to cash awards, most of our contestants will receive...."  The odd thing is that in the last few seasons, we never knew what the cash awards were.  By the time Larry Blyden took over, the cards no longer read 5, 10 ,15, etc., but 10, 9, 8, down to 0.  If it hit 0, the panel lost.[/quote]
"In addition to the cash awards..." was a phrase from the 70s TTTT fee plugs.  The syndicated version of WML? was NEVER played for cash (which is, as I keep saying, as it should be).  They originally used the 5 to 50 flip cards just because that was what so many people remembered, but they were no longer playing for dollars, just points.  Eventually, as others have mentioned, Larry Blyden had his sliding-bar 10 to 0 countdown.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

ChuckNet

I've Got A Secret
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2004, 09:03:58 PM »
"In addition to the cash awards..." was a phrase from the 70s TTTT fee plugs.

It was also used on Tattletales (both versions), as well.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")