Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Question about TPIR...  (Read 3952 times)

Shredder

Question about TPIR...
« on: November 16, 2004, 07:03:48 PM »
Hey all,

I'm in the process of planning a new comic book, that if it ever come sto fruition, is going to be self published.

One of the issues deals with a virtual reality video game system, and I was going to have them play a game of TPIR for two or three pages.

This book will probably never see the light of day, but just in case it does, I'm assuming I'd need permission even just to draw the likeness of the set and Bob Barker.  But assuming they like the joke that it's going to be involved in, how likley do you think that  it'll be approved?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 07:04:55 PM by Shredder »

Jimmy Owen

Question about TPIR...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 07:10:47 PM »
Call him Bob Baker and call it "The Cost is Correct," and you are safe as parody is protected.  Ask Dick DeBartolo, he made a career writing parody for MAD.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Shredder

Question about TPIR...
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 07:21:51 PM »
Hmm, but what about the pricing games? I'm assuming I'd have to make parodies of them as well?  Two of the jokes involve the Big Wheel.  Maby I could call it the Big Square? :)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Question about TPIR...
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 07:33:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Shredder\' date=\'Nov 16 2004, 05:21 PM\']Hmm, but what about the pricing games? I'm assuming I'd have to make parodies of them as well?  Two of the jokes involve the Big Wheel.  Maby I could call it the Big Square? :)
[snapback]64026[/snapback]
[/quote]
If you plan to have this go on for several pages, and you have multiple jokes about the Big Wheel, I'd seriously reassess your reader's interests.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MikeK

• Martha!
Question about TPIR...
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 07:33:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Shredder\' date=\'Nov 16 2004, 07:21 PM\']Hmm, but what about the pricing games? I'm assuming I'd have to make parodies of them as well?  Two of the jokes involve the Big Wheel.  Maby I could call it the Big Square? :)[/quote]

The Cylinder of Cash.  The Super Spin.  The Grand Device with 20 Spaces with numbers from 5 to 100 in increments of 5.

You'd have to make parodies of pricing games as well.  Like Jimmy suggested, look at some MAD Magazine game show parodies.  That might give you some inspiration.  Of course, don't plagiarize their work.

Shredder

Question about TPIR...
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 08:00:02 PM »
If you plan to have this go on for several pages, and you have multiple jokes about the Big Wheel, I'd seriously reassess your reader's interests.>>>

Well, the entire issue Revolves around video games.  The TPIR joke  was going to help setup the story while adding a laugh in the process(hopefully).  I'm gonna try and limit it to two to three pages.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Question about TPIR...
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 08:51:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Shredder\' date=\'Nov 16 2004, 08:00 PM\']Well, the entire issue Revolves around video games.  The TPIR joke  was going to help setup the story while adding a laugh in the process(hopefully).  I'm gonna try and limit it to two to three pages.
[/quote]
So exactly what does TPiR have to do with video games?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Skynet74

Question about TPIR...
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 08:58:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Nov 16 2004, 07:10 PM\']Call him Bob Baker and call it "The Cost is Correct," and you are safe as parody is protected.  Ask Dick DeBartolo, he made a career writing parody for MAD.
[snapback]64019[/snapback]
[/quote]

Why is it that TV shows such as Saturday Night Live and MAd Tv frequently produce parodies without changing the name or show elements? Are comedy bits given more freedom and automaticly protected?

John
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 08:58:25 PM by Skynet74 »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Question about TPIR...
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004, 09:05:03 PM »
Free publicity for the show means that TPIR isn't going to be a wet blanket when MADtv does a (rather funny) parody.  For that matter, I don't think I've ever seen a MAD parody where they do an actual pricing game, it's always a variant of one, but Contestant's Row is done almost the same.

In any event, it works great both ways for them, so nothing becomes of it.
Travis L. Eberle

tvrandywest

Question about TPIR...
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2004, 09:12:51 PM »
Parody is protected. But use the actual names, logos, music or copyrighted material and you need permission. Everyone from SNL to Weird Al get written permission in advance when those elements are used.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Question about TPIR...
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2004, 09:45:50 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Nov 16 2004, 09:12 PM\']Parody is protected. But use the actual names, logos, music or copyrighted material and you need permission. Everyone from SNL to Weird Al get written permission in advance when those elements are used.
[/quote]
So is it fair to say; that as long as the material is used in non-slanderious methods; the production staff is realatively loose about such matters?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

tvrandywest

Question about TPIR...
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2004, 10:05:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Nov 16 2004, 06:45 PM\'][quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Nov 16 2004, 09:12 PM\']Parody is protected. But use the actual names, logos, music or copyrighted material and you need permission. Everyone from SNL to Weird Al get written permission in advance when those elements are used.
[/quote]
So is it fair to say; that as long as the material is used in non-slanderious methods; the production staff is realatively loose about such matters?
[snapback]64052[/snapback]
[/quote]
It's got nothing to do with the mood of the production staff or how funny your parody is, it's about potentially infringing on copyrighted, registered, trademarked and service-marked material that is the property of individuals and/or corporations. If you intend to do anything involving the name of a show or a person, a logo, music, or a format you should be guided by the advice of an attorney. If your sins are minor and not designed to profit from the use of the protected material, you'd likely receive a cease and desist letter before any more formal legal action is taken.

While neither is kosher, calling yourself the "Big Mac" on a campaign poster for class president will likely go unnoticed or be treated far differently from selling hamburgers under that name!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Question about TPIR...
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2004, 10:33:52 PM »
So is it fair to say; that as long as the material is used in non-slanderous methods; the production staff is realatively loose about such matters?
By the time you have an answer to this question it could be too late. You could already dealing with the aggrieved party and very likely their legal counsel, hopefully not in a courtroom setting.

Most people don't realize that copyright infringement is not only a civil tort but also a criminal offense, meaning you can do jail time and pay a fine. When SNL did its Coneheads send-up of Family Feud, they called it Family Feud but they had first obtained permission from Goodson himself. Copyright is truly an area where it is easier to ask permission than forgiveness.

Parody all you want but as Randy says, change the title, the names of the games and characters, don't use the logo and heaven forbid don't use the music.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 10:34:37 PM by chris319 »

Shredder

Question about TPIR...
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2004, 01:10:30 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Nov 16 2004, 10:33 PM\']
So is it fair to say; that as long as the material is used in non-slanderous methods; the production staff is realatively loose about such matters?
By the time you have an answer to this question it could be too late. You could already dealing with the aggrieved party and very likely their legal counsel, hopefully not in a courtroom setting.

Most people don't realize that copyright infringement is not only a civil tort but also a criminal offense, meaning you can do jail time and pay a fine. When SNL did its Coneheads send-up of Family Feud, they called it Family Feud but they had first obtained permission from Goodson himself. Copyright is truly an area where it is easier to ask permission than forgiveness.

Parody all you want but as Randy says, change the title, the names of the games and characters, don't use the logo and heaven forbid don't use the music.
[snapback]64058[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hmm...  It's gonna be a bit tougher to make it work without the familair looking set, but I suppose I could come up with something different.  Spinning a big tube shaped thing with a see through center rather than a solid wheel, or something in a hexagon shape...and fewer price numbers on it.   Just so long as it's in a general shape with something that can roll around,  the second joke would still work....

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Question about TPIR...
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2004, 01:37:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Shredder\' date=\'Nov 17 2004, 11:10 AM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Nov 16 2004, 10:33 PM\']

[snapback]64058[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hmm...  It's gonna be a bit tougher to make it work without the familair looking set, but I suppose I could come up with something different.  Spinning a big tube shaped thing with a see through center rather than a solid wheel, or something in a hexagon shape...and fewer price numbers on it.   Just so long as it's in a general shape with something that can roll around,  the second joke would still work....
[snapback]64120[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think you're OK if the set looks like the real set and the Big Wheel looks like the Big Wheel. If the doors have "The Cost Is Correct" on them it's not a true depiction of the real set. It would be parody, not misrepresentation.