Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Did Tony Danza Give the Game Away?  (Read 3706 times)

Robair

Did Tony Danza Give the Game Away?
« on: November 19, 2004, 06:01:34 AM »
Two and a half hours before WABC aired Thursday's "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire", Tony Danza hosted his talk show with Meredith Vieira as a guest. She brought a clip of Jeff Gross' million dollar question, about the etymology of the term "tabby cat". After Meredith read the question, you could see Jeff pondering the question for about eight seconds.

This is a guy who earlier on Wednesday answered the $50,000 question without batting an eye. Ditto the switched question about the piano keys. And swallowed up the first ten of the stack like they were bagels.

You get to know a contestant pretty well when he's on "Millionaire" for three straight days. And you could see it in his eyes even from the brief time he was shown on the "Danza" clip that he wasn't going to go for the million. Moreover, there was no gleam of recognition when the question came up.

So Mr. Danza kinda sorta spoiled the show for me, at least, having actually seen the question before the show aired and the contestant's reaction to it. Danza seemed to think that it could've gone either way, but I knew from looking at it he was walking with $500,000.

Did anyone else also catch this Danza show yesterday? Hell, does anyone admit to watching it? I mean, he ripped off Plinko...what next???
--Robair

cmjb13

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 06:50:03 AM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Nov 19 2004, 06:01 AM\']I mean, he ripped off Plinko...what next???
[snapback]64270[/snapback]
[/quote]
I haven't watched his show, but while entering the studio for Millionaire, I saw this sitting right in the hallway. Interesting.

It felt like I was in the back area of A&P while heading to the studio.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

joshg

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 08:42:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Nov 19 2004, 03:01 AM\'] Hell, does anyone admit to watching it? I mean, he ripped off Plinko...what next???
[snapback]64270[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'll admit to watching (but not listening to) it... it's on at the accessible time of 2:05AM in L.A. He had on one of the 'Desperate Housewives' and they played 'Pyramid' with people from the audience. All sorts of quizzes and games seem to pop up on this show; probably there to fill time I guess.

Josh
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

Robair

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 09:57:43 AM »
[quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'Nov 19 2004, 08:42 AM\']I'll admit to watching (but not listening to) it... it's on at the accessible time of 2:05AM in L.A. He had on one of the 'Desperate Housewives' and they played 'Pyramid' with people from the audience. All sorts of quizzes and games seem to pop up on this show; probably there to fill time I guess.

Josh
[snapback]64275[/snapback]
[/quote]

He's given "Gone With the Wind" DVDs and books to the entire audience, he's pitted guests against each other in a Brooklyn trivia quiz, he does a lot of things reminiscent of the old "House Party" style shows of the 1950s and 1960s. Maybe I was a bit snide before saying that people "admit" they watch it...it actually is a fun hour. Ereka from "The Apprentice" is a cute right-hand girl for Tony, too.

And he does a cooking spot nearly every day! That's the Italians' other religion, you know...food.
--Robair

zachhoran

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2004, 10:15:40 AM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Nov 19 2004, 09:57 AM\']

He's given "Gone With the Wind" DVDs and books to the entire audience, he's pitted guests against each other in a Brooklyn trivia quiz, he does a lot of things reminiscent of the old "House Party" style shows of the 1950s and 1960s. Maybe I was a bit snide before saying that people "admit" they watch it...it actually is a fun hour. Ereka from "The Apprentice" is a cute right-hand girl for Tony, too.

And he does a cooking spot nearly every day! That's the Italians' other religion, you know...food.
[snapback]64281[/snapback]
[/quote]

The Today Show is doing a cooking spot nearly every day, and those hosts aren't Italian :)

Obgameshow: Tony had a few appearances on Pyramid during his Taxi days(ABC $20K and CBS $25K), and was on the Davidson HS pilot.

aaron sica

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2004, 10:29:19 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Nov 19 2004, 10:15 AM\']Obgameshow: Tony had a few appearances on Pyramid during his Taxi days(ABC $20K and CBS $25K), and was on the Davidson HS pilot.
[snapback]64282[/snapback]
[/quote]

Correct me if I'm wrong here....Didn't Tony behave in a not-so-nice manner on CBS $25K and was not invited back after?

Clay Zambo

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2004, 11:06:54 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Nov 19 2004, 06:50 AM\']It felt like I was in the back area of A&P while heading to the studio.
[snapback]64271[/snapback]
[/quote]

Man!  Isn't that just the truth?  It's such a dingy, industrial "backstage."  Makes me appreciate the illusion created by TV designers all the more.
czambo@mac.com

Ian Wallis

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2004, 12:49:35 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong here....Didn't Tony behave in a not-so-nice manner on CBS $25K and was not invited back after?

It was during a summer 1983 episode which GSN has run.  He got the Mystery 7, and the word was "torpedo".  He said, "this comes out of a torpedo...." (CUCKOO) , and he said the "S" word a couple of times after that (it was bleeped out) and walked off the stage.

I never saw him back after that.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jay Temple

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2004, 11:05:28 PM »
A quick check of the archives reveals that, indeed, that was his final appearance on any version of Pyramid.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2004, 11:22:33 PM »
Aren't most of those quizzes-games-plinko lite-other stunts done on almost any variety show since the history of man?  I thought it was part of the format.
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2004, 11:27:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Nov 19 2004, 09:49 AM\']

It was during a summer 1983 episode which GSN has run.  He got the Mystery 7, and the word was "torpedo".  He said, "this comes out of a torpedo...." (CUCKOO) , and he said the "S" word a couple of times after that (it was bleeped out) and walked off the stage.

I never saw him back after that.
[snapback]64294[/snapback]
[/quote]

Is there a video clip of this up for download anywhere? I'd like to see this.

ChuckNet

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2004, 08:58:27 PM »

He complained quite a bit, not to mention tipping over and picking up his WC chair after giving away $10K on one ep.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")