Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Card Sharks 1978  (Read 5664 times)

Pyramid20000

Card Sharks 1978
« on: October 18, 2004, 10:56:29 AM »
I got a question when did they start using the losing horns that are now used on The Price is Right on Card Sharks 1978  and also why is it that the buzzer sound is different when you bust on the money cards and another question are there any websites that i can download some of the money cards clips i would greatly appreciate any answers you might have thanks alot to everyone.

mystery7

Card Sharks 1978
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 11:09:04 AM »
[quote name=\'Pyramid20000\' date=\'Oct 18 2004, 10:56 AM\']I got a question when did they start using the losing horns that are now used on The Price is Right on Card Sharks 1978  and also why is it that the buzzer sound is different when you bust on the money cards and another question are there any websites that i can download some of the money cards clips i would greatly appreciate any answers you might have thanks alot to everyone.
[snapback]61210[/snapback]
[/quote]

What's Pat Sajak charging for puctuation these days?

Uh, getting back to this, they used two different buzzers on Sharks. The one on the Money Cards was louder and harsher than the one in the main game (because the stakes were higher?). Scrabble also used two similar buzzers.

Horns? Early on, if not from day one. That cue was created for Price, which is why they're "now used" there. On CBS, Sharks used Price's car music in addition to its "loser" horns.

Clips: Google is your friend.

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
Card Sharks 1978
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 11:32:02 AM »
>> Horns? Early on, if not from day one. That cue was created for Price, which is why they're "now used" there. On CBS, Sharks used Price's car music in addition to its "loser" horns.

I think the show GSN aired yesterday was the first CS usage of the horns. I did see a few busts before then, and they just used the buzzer.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 11:32:43 AM by Chief-O »
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Card Sharks 1978
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 11:40:57 AM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Oct 18 2004, 10:09 AM\']Uh, getting back to this, they used two different buzzers on Sharks. The one on the Money Cards was louder and harsher than the one in the main game (because the stakes were higher?). Scrabble also used two similar buzzers.
[snapback]61211[/snapback]
[/quote]
You sure about SCRABBLE?  I do know the Perry CS "Money Cards Bust" buzzer was used on SCRABBLE but I don't recall SCRABBLE using any other buzzer concurrently.

One other NBC show that I do remember using two buzzers was HIGH ROLLERS (one if you busted on the dice, another in the rare occurence that no one rang in on a question).

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Card Shark

Card Sharks 1978
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 08:18:16 PM »
For the early part of the run, they used a different buzzer in the main game. At what point did this change?
Adam Strom

mystery7

Card Sharks 1978
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 08:58:55 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Oct 18 2004, 11:40 AM\']You sure about SCRABBLE?  I do know the Perry CS "Money Cards Bust" buzzer was used on SCRABBLE but I don't recall SCRABBLE using any other buzzer concurrently.

Doug
[snapback]61215[/snapback]
[/quote]

As I remember it, there was one buzzer on Scrabble for a wrong answer and another for running out of time in the Sprint round. They both sounded similar.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Card Sharks 1978
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2004, 10:57:27 PM »
The harsher-sounding buzzer is commonly known as a "claxon".

WorldClassRob

Card Sharks 1978
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2004, 03:59:16 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Oct 18 2004, 09:57 PM\']The harsher-sounding buzzer is commonly known as a "claxon".
[snapback]61307[/snapback]
[/quote]

The "Claxon", as Chris mentioned earlier, was used not only on Card Sharks and Scrabble, but was also used on Hit Man, Time Machine, Match Game-Hollywood Squares hour, and I believe Wordplay.

Some people don't like the sound, but I'll take it over the Price Is Right buzzer anyday.  ;)

The Claxon is normally accompanied by NBC's bell which was also used on Sharks and Scrabble.

I'll post this in the future, but as soon as I figure out how to fine-tune the soundwave, I will be distributing the high-pitched bell that was used on $ale of the Century and Jeopardy! 78 for those who want it... and maybe perhaps use it on future game show PC games.

RD

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
Card Sharks 1978
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 06:04:34 PM »
>> I'll post this in the future, but as soon as I figure out how to fine-tune the soundwave, I will be distributing the high-pitched bell that was used on $ale of the Century and Jeopardy! 78 for those who want it... and maybe perhaps use it on future game show PC games.

I wouldn't mind hearing a clean copy of the aforementioned buzzer as well...but I have heard they used it on Wordplay. Never seen it, so not sure.

And I know DJDustman will probably be interested in the SOTC bell---he runs the SOTC game over at PYLP Studios. [I'll bet Dsmith is glad I'm plugging his place!]
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 06:05:51 PM by Chief-O »
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

byrd62

Card Sharks 1978
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004, 06:06:15 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Oct 18 2004, 09:57 PM\']The harsher-sounding buzzer is commonly known as a "claxon".
[snapback]61307[/snapback]
[/quote]

And whenever this "klaxon" [actual spelling] stopped ringing, you could hear a door slam.

WorldClassRob

Card Sharks 1978
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2004, 07:46:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' date=\'Nov 17 2004, 06:04 PM\']>> I'll post this in the future, but as soon as I figure out how to fine-tune the soundwave, I will be distributing the high-pitched bell that was used on $ale of the Century and Jeopardy! 78 for those who want it... and maybe perhaps use it on future game show PC games.

I wouldn't mind hearing a clean copy of the aforementioned buzzer as well...but I have heard they used it on Wordplay. Never seen it, so not sure.

And I know DJDustman will probably be interested in the SOTC bell---he runs the SOTC game over at PYLP Studios. [I'll bet Dsmith is glad I'm plugging his place!]
[snapback]64156[/snapback]
[/quote]

I got the bell from "Jeopardy 78" but its only a second and a half long... at least I got the first second and a half of it clean-cut.  The actual sound I think about two to three seconds in duration.  I have the SOTC wrong answer buzzer as well as the fame game sound too. The ring-in sound I don't have however.

For those who are wondering... the high pitch bell was also used not only on J!78 and $OTC, but was used on Hit Man (mixed in with the Super Password word reveal sound), and briefly on Hot Potato and the John Davidson version of Hollywood Squares when it was produced briefly in Burbank at NBC.

In any event, drop me a line at robdon1967@yahoo.com and I will pass the sound to you.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Card Sharks 1978
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2004, 10:37:05 PM »

mystery7

Card Sharks 1978
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2004, 11:10:34 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Nov 18 2004, 10:37 PM\']
"klaxon" [actual spelling]
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=claxon
[snapback]64256[/snapback]
[/quote]
Ah. But...http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=klaxon. Trademarked spelling.

And the owner of that trademark...http://www.klaxonsignals.com/