Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Supermarket Sweep  (Read 3343 times)

golden-road

Supermarket Sweep
« on: November 23, 2004, 09:44:58 AM »
On SS, how did the producers prepare the Bonus Round (where to hide the clues, the $5000, etc). Also, I remember a team getting the first clue, then seeing the item with the $5K, then getting the second clue, coming back to the money and winning it. Was this the only time this happened. (NOTE: I tried to PM tvrandywest and was unable to).

dzinkin

Supermarket Sweep
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 10:09:20 AM »
[quote name=\'golden-road\' date=\'Nov 23 2004, 09:44 AM\'](NOTE: I tried to PM tvrandywest and was unable to).
[snapback]64644[/snapback]
[/quote]
The PM feature is disabled on this board.

zachhoran

Supermarket Sweep
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 10:16:59 AM »
[quote name=\'golden-road\' date=\'Nov 23 2004, 09:44 AM\']On SS, how did the producers prepare the Bonus Round (where to hide the clues, the $5000, etc). Also, I remember a team getting the first clue, then seeing the item with the $5K, then getting the second clue, coming back to the money and winning it. Was this the only time this happened. (NOTE: I tried to PM tvrandywest and was unable to).
[snapback]64644[/snapback]
[/quote]

I've seen a team find the $5K before they were supposed to a few times. One of the times, David warned them that they had to find the items in order. On one occasion, a team found the third item before the second, managed to find the second, and ran out of time within a second or two of them being able to return to pick up the third item.

tvrandywest

Supermarket Sweep
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 06:10:18 PM »
[quote name=\'golden-road\' date=\'Nov 23 2004, 06:44 AM\']On SS, how did the producers prepare the Bonus Round (where to hide the clues, the $5000, etc). [/quote]
The locations for the clues and the cash are determined in advance, and the appropriate clues are written for each bonus round. All that work is done in the production offices that, like on most game shows, are not adjacent to the studio to prevent contestants from accidentally finding themselves in the same room as the material.

The first time the bonus round information and clues are brought to the studio is in time to give it to the prop department for placement in the market just before that bonus round is to be played. During that process the contestants are kept isolated in their green room. With all game shows, the contestants are always directly supervised by a staffer from the contestant department.

Whenever I watch the show tape I am reminded of an incident on the similar "Honeymoon Race" as described to me by that show's producer, Ray Horl. With the final seconds counting down, a contestant was racing to get his team's shopping cart to the checkout before the sweep was over. He ran the cart to the line right on the bell, and continued outside the front door of the market, where he fell to the ground in the parking lot in the throws of a massive heart attack!

Now THAT was reality television way before its time!!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Kevin Prather

Supermarket Sweep
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 07:19:35 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Nov 23 2004, 03:10 PM\']Whenever I watch the show tape I am reminded of an incident on the similar "Honeymoon Race" as described to me by that show's producer, Ray Horl. With the final seconds counting down, a contestant was racing to get his team's shopping cart to the checkout before the sweep was over. He ran the cart to the line right on the bell, and continued outside the front door of the market, where he fell to the ground in the parking lot in the throws of a massive heart attack!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[snapback]64683[/snapback]
[/quote]

AGTOT? ;-)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Supermarket Sweep
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 07:47:17 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Nov 23 2004, 05:19 PM\']AGTOT? ;-)
[snapback]64688[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thank God you put the winky there, or else you'd be trying to find a crowbar so you could pry a Size 12 out of your rectum right now. ;)

"...damn near KILLED 'em!"
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 07:47:51 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

Supermarket Sweep
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 07:57:46 PM »
Lol.

No thank you. I think one Goatse man is more than enough for this world. :)

aaron sica

Supermarket Sweep
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2004, 10:44:55 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Nov 23 2004, 06:10 PM\']Whenever I watch the show tape I am reminded of an incident on the similar "Honeymoon Race" as described to me by that show's producer, Ray Horl. With the final seconds counting down, a contestant was racing to get his team's shopping cart to the checkout before the sweep was over. He ran the cart to the line right on the bell, and continued outside the front door of the market, where he fell to the ground in the parking lot in the throws of a massive heart attack!

[snapback]64683[/snapback]
[/quote]

Then the show's name and format would have changed, to "Hospital Race" ;)