Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sale of the Century  (Read 3786 times)

DJDustman

Sale of the Century
« on: November 25, 2004, 09:30:31 PM »
Before the show went to the Winner's Board in EARLY 1985, did anyone win the entire lot and cash jackpot?  The only things I've seen so far is people just winning the cash jackpot and leaving but am not sure if the entire lot has been won at any point.

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
Sale of the Century
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2004, 09:50:52 PM »
[quote name=\'DJDustman\' date=\'Nov 25 2004, 07:30 PM\']Before the show went to the Winner's Board in EARLY 1985, did anyone win the entire lot and cash jackpot?  The only things I've seen so far is people just winning the cash jackpot and leaving but am not sure if the entire lot has been won at any point.
[snapback]64896[/snapback]
[/quote]

To my knowledge, the full Lot (all the prizes and the money) didn't start getting won until the syndie show (John Goss, Helaine Lowery and Alice Conkwright) and the Winner's Board.  There was AT LEAST one person who won the lot BEFORE the inception of the Cash Jackpot: Helen Durvall, from of all places, Boonah, Australia.  I know because I actually bought her contestant's logo pin from her on eBay about a year ago.  I actually wore the pin to the GSC in August, but it got knocked off my lapel, and was thought lost.  BUt it was returned to me the next day at the TPIR taping, scuffed, and missing the diamond inlay.  But I still have it.
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

zachhoran

Sale of the Century
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2004, 09:52:05 PM »
[quote name=\'DJDustman\' date=\'Nov 25 2004, 09:30 PM\']Before the show went to the Winner's Board in EARLY 1985, did anyone win the entire lot and cash jackpot?  The only things I've seen so far is people just winning the cash jackpot and leaving but am not sure if the entire lot has been won at any point.
[snapback]64896[/snapback]
[/quote]

Barbara Phillips did it famously on the daytime version in August 1983. She needed $26 to win the cash jackpot on her last show and $116 to win the lot. IIRC Jim mentioned the $116 needed at the top of the show. In the days when the maingame ended with three final questions rather than the Speed Round, Jim mentioned to Barbara just before the last question that a correct answer would allow her to win the lot, and she got it right and won $151,689 in total.

ChuckNet

Sale of the Century
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004, 07:55:45 PM »
Barbara Phillips did it famously on the daytime version in August 1983. She needed $26 to win the cash jackpot on her last show and $116 to win the lot. IIRC Jim mentioned the $116 needed at the top of the show. In the days when the maingame ended with three final questions rather than the Speed Round, Jim mentioned to Barbara just before the last question that a correct answer would allow her to win the lot, and she got it right and won $151,689 in total.

Mort Kamins was another one to win the lot (dunno if the cash jackpot was in place yet) in mid-83...combined w/subsequent tournament winnings, he became the 3rd biggest winner in GS history until the $1M CoaL came along.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")