Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: FF: Primetime Specials Question  (Read 2913 times)

dmota104

FF: Primetime Specials Question
« on: November 28, 2004, 01:25:05 PM »
In the height of its popularity on ABC, "Family Feud" aired several specials in primetime with celebrities replacing the civilian families and playing for charity.

Anyone know why such specials didn't air on CBS?  I recall several charity weeks in CBS daytime (same with ABC daytime) -- but never in CBS primetime.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2004, 01:49:24 PM »
Anyone know why such specials didn't air on CBS?

I'm gonna take a stab at it: "Feud" was more of a force to be reckoned with during its peak in the late 70s/early 80s, so it natural for them to expand the franchise wherever they could (syndie, eventually to 5-a-week). Whereas the Combs version was more of a show that just did respectably - a nighttime special might not have been worth it.

I dunno how the CBS schedule was then either - if they had more holes to fill or not. Did ABC have lots of gaps when Dawson had specials?

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

gsgalaxy82

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004, 01:49:44 PM »
Well, it was a huge hit on ABC. On CBS, it wasn't near the hit that it was on ABC. Richard Dawson was an icon, no offense to Ray, but Ray wasn't as popular as Richard was.

David

dmota104

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2004, 03:01:41 PM »
Well, it was a huge hit on ABC. On CBS, it wasn't near the hit that it was on ABC. Richard Dawson was an icon, no offense to Ray, but Ray wasn't as popular as Richard was.

True, Ray faced a tough act when following Richard.    But I think over time Ray made the show his own.  After all, the syndie version came along later plus a special month-long "battle of the soaps" in addition to the half-hour FF with civilians (presumably to fill the void left behind "Designing Women" reruns, IIRC; this all came before the FF Challenge w/Bullseye).

Still, if they played the feud in CBS primetime, that would've been a great venue for, say, cast members from "Dallas" to play for charity.  ("Let's meet the Ewing family ... playing against the Barnes family.")

manwithatan80

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2004, 06:35:29 PM »
LOL, it'd be the classic Barnes/Ewing Feud!

Speaking ot the all-star specials, does anybody have an episode guide or listing with all of the prime time specials and the casts of what shows on each one?  The only special I remember of the top of my head is the Three's Company/Soap/The Love Boat/Eight Is Enough special.

zachhoran

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2004, 07:39:43 PM »
[quote name=\'dmota104\' date=\'Nov 28 2004, 03:01 PM\']

True, Ray faced a tough act when following Richard.    But I think over time Ray made the show his own.  After all, the syndie version came along later plus a special month-long "battle of the soaps" in addition to the half-hour FF with civilians (presumably to fill the void left behind "Designing Women" reruns, IIRC; this all came before the FF Challenge w/Bullseye).

[snapback]65152[/snapback]
[/quote]

The month of Soap Feud came before the Designing Women reruns debuted. DW reruns were placed with the first half of FF Challenge.

uncamark

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 03:27:06 PM »
Still--and this is not to put down Ray in any way--"Feud" was not the smash hit under him that it was with Dawson at its height.  To CBS, it was just another morning time-killer that paid its way and it just wasn't considered suitable for a prime time extension.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 04:43:26 PM »
CBS didn't have as many hot shows with ensemble casts back then either that would made for a good FF special.  I guess "Dallas" would be okay, but Larry Hagman probably wouldn't show. "Knots Landing" vs. "Falcon Crest"  Otherwise it would have been "Major Dad" vs. "Murphy Brown" (probably without the daughter of the first host of "Do You Trust Your Wife?") or "Designing Women" vs."The Famous Teddy Z," or something else you guys wouldn't watch.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004, 04:54:16 PM »
Which would probably explain why most of their celebrity specials featured stars of CBS *daytime* shows (TPiR vs. Y&R, Y&R vs. B&B).

Come to think of it, did the other CBS daytime shows (As The World Turns, Guiding Light) even DO Combs Feud?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2004, 05:21:08 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Nov 30 2004, 02:54 PM\']Come to think of it, did the other CBS daytime shows (As The World Turns, Guiding Light) even DO Combs Feud?
[snapback]65448[/snapback]
[/quote]
At some point I wanna say I remember a Soap-Opera Tournament, with all four CBS soaps participating. Not being Zach, I can't confirm that for sure, nor can I spout an irritating collection of irrelevant minutae about it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2004, 05:35:39 PM »
All of the P&G shows are in New York, which might have something to do with it.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.