Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How Many Episodes?  (Read 3107 times)

gsfan85

How Many Episodes?
« on: November 24, 2004, 11:14:54 PM »
Hey everyone,

Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow.  If you're a vegeterian, it's not your day :-)

Just wondering if anyone happened to know how many episodes there are (or were) of the following:

Pyramid-Seasons 1 & 2
On The Cover
Hollywood Showdown-Seasons 1 & 2
Russian Roulette-Seasons 1 & 2

Also, I believe this is Season 2 of Win Ben Stein's Money that's on GSN now.  Not sure though.  How many episodes in the season?

Thanks!
Adam

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
How Many Episodes?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 11:41:25 PM »
[quote name=\'gsfan85\' date=\'Nov 24 2004, 11:14 PM\']Russian Roulette-Seasons 1 & 2
[/quote]
65 episodes each season, I do believe.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

How Many Episodes?
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2004, 04:01:06 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Nov 24 2004, 11:41 PM\'][quote name=\'gsfan85\' date=\'Nov 24 2004, 11:14 PM\']Russian Roulette-Seasons 1 & 2
[/quote]
65 episodes each season, I do believe.
[snapback]64808[/snapback]
[/quote]

I wanna say I read 130 for On the Cover, but please don't hold me to that. ;-)

65 sounds about right for RR. I think all the GSN originals (at least from the early-2000s) had 65 per season, maybe with the exception of Lingo (the 20 eps. from summer 02).

As for WBSM, it is Season 2 (spring 98), which I think was also 65 eps. Is this just the thing to do in cable?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

zachhoran

How Many Episodes?
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2004, 08:13:26 AM »
[quote name=\'gsfan85\' date=\'Nov 24 2004, 11:14 PM\']
Just wondering if anyone happened to know how many episodes there are (or were) of the following:

Pyramid-Seasons 1 & 2
Hollywood Showdown-Seasons 1 & 2

[snapback]64804[/snapback]
[/quote]

Pyramid had 175(?) episodes each season
Showdown season one had 100 episodes, season two had 65 episodes. 60 episodes from season two are apparently what's currently in the GSN rotation, they started repeating weeks after the show had been back on the schedule for 12 weeks.

TV Favorites

How Many Episodes?
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2004, 11:29:06 AM »
There is an episode guide up for all seasons of WBSM...that will help you determine the number of episodes each season:

http://www.kabrina.com/wbsm/

tvrandywest

How Many Episodes?
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2004, 01:34:10 PM »
[quote name=\'gsfan85\' date=\'Nov 24 2004, 08:14 PM\']Hollywood Showdown-Seasons 1 & 2[/quote]

Season one was 100 episodes in a unique cooperative deal between PAX and GSN. Season two was 65 episodes. So there are 165 in the can, but GSN is presently running only season two, as re-running season one would require a residuals payment to Todd and me.

But I check the mail every day, anyway!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Fedya

How Many Episodes?
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2004, 09:58:08 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Nov 25 2004, 02:34 PM\'][quote name=\'gsfan85\' date=\'Nov 24 2004, 08:14 PM\']Hollywood Showdown-Seasons 1 & 2[/quote]

Season one was 100 episodes in a unique cooperative deal between PAX and GSN. Season two was 65 episodes. So there are 165 in the can, but GSN is presently running only season two, as re-running season one would require a residuals payment to Todd and me.
[/quote]

Forgive me for asking a stupid question, but why would running both seasons of Hollywood Showdown entail more resdiual payments than running just one season and repeating it for the same amount of time that the two seasons together ran?
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

DrBear

How Many Episodes?
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2004, 08:23:16 AM »
[quote name=\'gsfan85\' date=\'Nov 24 2004, 10:14 PM\']Hey everyone,

Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow.  If you're a vegeterian, it's not your day :-)

[snapback]64804[/snapback]
[/quote]

(RING) What is a tofu turkey?
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

tvrandywest

How Many Episodes?
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2004, 12:03:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Nov 25 2004, 06:58 PM\'][quoteForgive me for asking a stupid question, but why would running both seasons of Hollywood Showdown entail more resdiual payments than running just one season and repeating it for the same amount of time that the two seasons together ran?
[snapback]64901[/snapback]
[/quote]
Not a stupid question if you've not seen the contracts.   ;-)

While talent contracts for shows originally produced to air on the "big 3" networks and for syndication are usually standard, allowing only one broadcast before residuals are due on subsequent runs, AFTRA's agreements with cable channels as well as with the FOX network still carry remnants from the days of network domination, before these alternatives became equally popular.

Typically a contract for a show that is originally produced for cable will include multiple runs, up to a fixed number of airings and over a limited period of time, before additional talent payments are due. So, while negotiable, a talent contract for a cable show typically allows the original compensation to include up to 4 runs in a 12 month period, or even 16 runs in a 4 year period.

Just a tip of the iceberg. Let's not even try to make sense of the deals for shows that are now being "re-purposed" between network and cable, and are subsequently released on DVD, broadcast in foreign countries, and shown in-flight!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 12:04:17 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Ian Wallis

How Many Episodes?
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2004, 02:27:11 PM »
While talent contracts for shows originally produced to air on the "big 3" networks and for syndication are usually standard, allowing only one broadcast before residuals are due on subsequent runs, AFTRA's agreements with cable channels as well as with the FOX network still carry remnants from the days of network domination, before these alternatives became equally popular.

It's an interesting topic.  In a letter I got from GSN in 1996, it stated that any celebrity must sign a waiver for a show to be rebroadcast if the show was produced after 1973.  I still find it surprising that certain celebrities wouldn't clear appearances for rebroadcasts - I assume they get residuals for it(?)

For that matter, a show on a "Big 3" would always have more viewers on the first airing than it would for reruns years later.  Let's take "Match Game", for example.  That was CBS's No. 1 show for a while in the '70s, so let's say 5 million people watched it everyday.  If a celebrity signs a waiver for rebroadcast, it would probably be seen by only 250,000 or fewer people on GSN - it's not as if anywhere near as many people are going to see it than they did when it was first broadcast.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

uncamark

How Many Episodes?
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2004, 03:56:52 PM »
[quote name=\'TV Favorites\' date=\'Nov 25 2004, 11:29 AM\']There is an episode guide up for all seasons of WBSM...that will help you determine the number of episodes each season:

http://www.kabrina.com/wbsm/
[snapback]64835[/snapback]
[/quote]

And I believe the second season was 100 episodes instead of the usual 130, due to the fact that at that time "WBSM" aired in the evening only Monday-through-Thursday, as "The Daily Show" does now.

And even when they went to 130-ep renewals and taped 130 shows during the two-month-or-so production period, COM almost always divided them into two batches of 65 and first-ran one batch in the spring and one batch in the fall.