Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Companies  (Read 7094 times)

davemackey

Game Show Companies
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2003, 12:39:03 PM »
An awesome start to a vacation for any game show freak!

I have no doubt that you and anyone else wanting to stay for 5 shows were happily accommodated. While nobody cranks the machine faster than Sande Stewart, and Dick Clark's happiest moment is walking out of the building on schedule, I'm pretty sure that many audience members must have left over the course of those 3+ hours. No doubt the pages were filling vacant seats as they could, and I hope there were tourists waiting. When the crowd was light for those tapings, or when shows had those rare but lengthy stopdowns, pages were sent next door to the Farmers' Market to perform abductions!

Do you remember who the announcer was that evening? Johnny Gilbert perhaps?

It was Charlie O'Donnell. Guest celebs were Lauri Hendler and Stuart Pankin. No, we aren't in the mob that went on stage when Lauri's partner won the $100,000.

The other times we saw Pyramid, it was Johnny Gilbert and Bob Hilton.

bricon

Game Show Companies
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2003, 12:51:23 PM »
Back in the day when Pyramid taped in New York, two shows were taped between 12:00 and 1:15 PM. They would release the audience and take a 90 minute lunch break. A new audience would be brought into the studio and they would resume taping the remaining three shows beginning at 3:00. There would be a half hour break between shows four and five, allowing anyone wanting to leave or come in to do just that. By 5:30, there would be a weeks worth of shows in the can.

When $50,000 Pyramid was taped, they did a month's worth of shows in three consecutive days, five shows the first day, seven shows the second day, and eight shows the 3rd day.  I'm glad I only sat through 5 shows, the very first taping day (3rd week aired).

tommycharles

Game Show Companies
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2003, 01:14:19 PM »
[quote name=\'bricon\' date=\'Jul 23 2003, 11:51 AM\']
When $50,000 Pyramid was taped, they did a month's worth of shows in three consecutive days, five shows the first day, seven shows the second day, and eight shows the 3rd day.  I'm glad I only sat through 5 shows, the very first taping day (3rd week aired). [/quote]
 The UK's Countdown uses a similar practice, but choosing to tape 1 month's worth of shows within a week. They tape 6 shows per day Mon, Tue, Thur, Fri, Sat - and take Wed as a dark day to to office work.

The first taping doesn't start until 2:00 in the afternoon, so by the time they have six shows in the can, I bet everyone is pretty sick of each other.

SplitSecond

Game Show Companies
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2003, 02:25:04 PM »
[quote name=\'bricon\' date=\'Jul 23 2003, 09:51 AM\']When $50,000 Pyramid was taped, they did a month's worth of shows in three consecutive days, five shows the first day, seven shows the second day, and eight shows the 3rd day.  I'm glad I only sat through 5 shows, the very first taping day (3rd week aired).[/quote]
Didn't the $50,000 Pyramid \"bicycle\" its programs - or at least run them as self-contained weeks?

If so, that would mean that you'd have to book an especially kind pair of celebs for shows 11-15, since that would require them to show up for two episodes on the second tape day, and three more the next day.

bricon

Game Show Companies
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2003, 12:50:29 AM »
Didn't the $50,000 Pyramid \"bicycle\" its programs - or at least run them as self-contained weeks?
If so, that would mean that you'd have to book an especially kind pair of celebs for shows 11-15, since that would require them to show up for two episodes on the second tape day, and three more the next day.

That's exactly what they did.