Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Memories 2004 magazine  (Read 7976 times)

CarbonCpy

Memories 2004 magazine
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2004, 01:35:39 PM »
[quote name=\'bricon\' date=\'Dec 15 2004, 01:19 PM\'][quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Dec 15 2004, 01:55 AM\']Audience?
[snapback]67345[/snapback]
[/quote]

Rigoletto!
[snapback]67392[/snapback]
[/quote]

Watch your language, chum, we're on the air!

ChuckNet

Memories 2004 magazine
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2004, 07:33:04 PM »
I insist it was "Burn The lights". If you ever get a chance to hear it again, listen to it closely. There is no mistaking "Burn The..." for "Curtain". It was quoted as "Burn The..." elsewhere as well.

I re-listened to my copy of the theme on TV's Greatest Hits, Vol. 1, and it still sounds like "curtain, lights" to me. Not to turn this into a Family Guy "is it 'effin' cry" or 'laugh and cry'?" debate, but that's also what I've read in countless WB or related publications, etc, so that's what I stand behind.

Chuck Donegan (The Agreeing-To-Disagree "Chuckie Baby")

Matt Ottinger

Memories 2004 magazine
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2004, 09:11:22 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Dec 15 2004, 08:33 PM\']
I insist it was "Burn The lights". If you ever get a chance to hear it again, listen to it closely. There is no mistaking "Burn The..." for "Curtain". It was quoted as "Burn The..." elsewhere as well.

I re-listened to my copy of the theme on TV's Greatest Hits, Vol. 1, and it still sounds like "curtain, lights" to me. Not to turn this into a Family Guy "is it 'effin' cry" or 'laugh and cry'?" debate, but that's also what I've read in countless WB or related publications, etc, so that's what I stand behind.[/quote]
Google would tend to back you up as well.  

overture + "burn the lights" yields precisely two hits, only one of them relevant.  It does happen to be from a WB chat room, for what that's worth.

"overture curtain lights" yields hundreds of relevant hits, including quite a few reputable lyric repositories.

Interestingly, "overture hit the lights" yields over a hundred hits, which is what I would have guessed it was without having heard it in just about forever.

In other words, you're free to think you hear whatever it is you think you hear.  There have literally been books written about misheard lyrics.  The problem is when you get into the mind set that everybody else but you is wrong.  'Cause it ain't so.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 09:11:53 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

geno57

Memories 2004 magazine
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2004, 10:15:55 PM »
Damn, I always thought it was "Overture, dim the lights..."!

Matt Ottinger

Memories 2004 magazine
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2004, 11:36:29 PM »
At a web site devoted to collecting misheard lyrics, someone has actually added the entry 'Oh monsieur, turn the lights' which is almost deliberately TRYING to be wrong!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Memories 2004 magazine
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2004, 12:08:15 AM »
From the book That's All Folks:  The Art of Warner Bros Animation (can't hyperlink, because I'm typing directly out of the book):

"The program [my note:  referring to the 1960 ABC prime-time series The Bugs Bunny Show] was a fine showcase for the older shorts, and began with an irresistable dance number sung by Bugs and Daffy ("Overture/Curtain!  Lights!/This is it/The night of nights. . . ."); it was animated by Gerry Chiniquy."

Chiniquy went on to direct a good chunk of the Pink Panther shorts (among a lot of other projects--I miss those DFE cartoons).

Wonderful book by Steve Schneider, with a lot of illustrations of classic cartoon cels.  And Amazon.com shows that it still is gettable, if so desired.

Doug
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 12:10:51 AM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Jimmy Owen

Memories 2004 magazine
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2004, 02:06:49 AM »
Off-off topic, but didn't the original "Flintstones" opening theme sound somewhat like the Bugs Bunny TV theme?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

aaron sica

Memories 2004 magazine
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2004, 09:24:12 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 16 2004, 02:06 AM\']Off-off topic, but didn't the original "Flintstones" opening theme sound somewhat like the Bugs Bunny TV theme?
[snapback]67452[/snapback]
[/quote]

Actually, you're right....The beginning couple of notes DID sound like it...

ChuckNet

Memories 2004 magazine
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2004, 11:29:08 PM »
From the book That's All Folks: The Art of Warner Bros Animation (can't hyperlink, because I'm typing directly out of the book):

"The program [my note: referring to the 1960 ABC prime-time series The Bugs Bunny Show] was a fine showcase for the older shorts, and began with an irresistable dance number sung by Bugs and Daffy ("Overture/Curtain! Lights!/This is it/The night of nights. . . ."); it was animated by Gerry Chiniquy."

Damn...I have TAF (of which I totally agree w/Doug's sentiments on...a must-have for any classic WB cartoon fan!), and didn't even think to check, LOL...thanks for the clarification. :-)

Oh, and I'm watching the "Crazy Joe Davola" ep of Seinfeld right now...by coincidence, they just aired the part where Jerry sings a verse of TBBS theme, and he also sings it as "...curtain, lights!".

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")