Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dick Enberg's New Book  (Read 4213 times)

GSWitch

Dick Enberg's New Book
« on: December 09, 2004, 01:15:38 PM »
On today's CBS Early Show, Dick Enberg was interviewed talking about his new book, Dick Enberg; Oh My!

There is a chapter about his game show years as well as a pic from Sports Challenge & Baffle.  I was surprised that Monty Hall encouraged him to host game shows (did Three For The Money for Hatos Hall).  Baffle was his first NBC game show that replaced Concentration & was opposite The $10,000 Pyramid on CBS.

It sells for $24.95 @ most bookstores.  Oh my!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2004, 01:16:49 PM by GSWitch »

Matt Ottinger

Dick Enberg's New Book
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 01:58:26 PM »
A whole chapter on his game show career would be a nice surprise, though I imagine the bulk of it will be Sports Challenge anecdotes (not that that's a bad thing).  Other memoirs from the likes of Steve Allen or Hugh Downs scarcely make passing mention of their game show backgrounds.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Mike Tennant

Dick Enberg's New Book
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 01:58:50 PM »
For all the (well-deserved) GSWitch-bashing that goes on around here, I think it's only right to give the witch credit for a reasonable, germane, and cackle-free post.  Good job, GSWitch!

MikeK

• Martha!
Dick Enberg's New Book
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2004, 02:05:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Dec 9 2004, 01:58 PM\']For all the (well-deserved) GSWitch-bashing that goes on around here, I think it's only right to give the witch credit for a reasonable, germane, and cackle-free post.  Good job, GSWitch![/quote]
You forgot sexism-free and Curly "whoop whoop"-free as well.

Witcheepoo deserved credit where it's due.  Thanks for the heads-up.

Neumms

Dick Enberg's New Book
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2004, 02:05:50 PM »
Enberg always seems like such a nice, genuine guy. It would be a pleasure to read the sports passages, too.

He had a great line on a SportsCentury. Talking about Chris Evert's popularity with men back in the day, he said "the line is long, but it moves fast."

GSWitch

Dick Enberg's New Book
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 03:09:24 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Dec 9 2004, 01:05 PM\'][quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Dec 9 2004, 01:58 PM\']For all the (well-deserved) GSWitch-bashing that goes on around here, I think it's only right to give the witch credit for a reasonable, germane, and cackle-free post.  Good job, GSWitch![/quote]
You forgot sexism-free and Curly "whoop whoop"-free as well.

Witcheepoo deserved credit where it's due.  Thanks for the heads-up.
[snapback]66620[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks, I'm just like the candy bar slogan; Sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't!  Almond Joy's got nuts, Mounds don't. (LOL)

tvwxman

Dick Enberg's New Book
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 03:09:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Dec 9 2004, 01:58 PM\']For all the (well-deserved) GSWitch-bashing that goes on around here, I think it's only right to give the witch credit for a reasonable, germane, and cackle-free post.  Good job, GSWitch!
[snapback]66618[/snapback]
[/quote]

1 post out of 341 ? Big Deal. Hell, buy enough Powerball Tix and eventually you're going to match 3 numbers.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

GSWitch

Dick Enberg's New Book
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 03:11:53 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Dec 9 2004, 02:09 PM\'][quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Dec 9 2004, 01:58 PM\']For all the (well-deserved) GSWitch-bashing that goes on around here, I think it's only right to give the witch credit for a reasonable, germane, and cackle-free post.  Good job, GSWitch!
[/quote]

1 post out of 341 ? Big Deal. Hell, buy enough Powerball Tix and eventually you're going to match 3 numbers.
[snapback]66626[/snapback]
[/quote]

Why not play the Pick 3 instead.  Maybe 3-4-1 will hit.  Or even 3-4-2 or even 3-4-3!

DrBear

Dick Enberg's New Book
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 04:03:39 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Dec 9 2004, 02:09 PM\']1 post out of 341 ? Big Deal. Hell, buy enough Powerball Tix and eventually you're going to match 3 numbers.
[snapback]66626[/snapback]
[/quote]

Darn, I never do.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Dick Enberg's New Book
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2004, 04:53:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Dec 9 2004, 11:58 AM\']For all the (well-deserved) GSWitch-bashing that goes on around here, I think it's only right to give the witch credit for a reasonable, germane, and cackle-free post.  Good job, GSWitch!
[/quote]
Yeah, and if an infinite number of monkeys sat typing at an infinite number of typewriters....

...the smell in the room would be unbearable.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

GSWitch

Dick Enberg's New Book
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2004, 08:42:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Dec 9 2004, 12:58 PM\']Other memoirs from the likes of Steve Allen or Hugh Downs scarcely make passing mention of their game show backgrounds.
[snapback]66617[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hugh Downs had a chapter in his book about Concentration.  He mentioned how a contestant scared him to death when he guessed "Bridgette Bardot" with very few pieces of the puzzle showing, thinking it was the return of the scandals.  He explained to Hugh that he was an engineer & knew that it looked like part of a bridge.  Also in the chapter was the nighttime Concentration, Ralph Branca (sorry, no Ruth Horowitz) & insisted to have Bob Clayton take over for him.

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
Dick Enberg's New Book
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2004, 08:51:39 PM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Dec 9 2004, 09:42 PM\']Also in the chapter was the nighttime Concentration, Ralph Branca (sorry, no Ruth Horowitz) & insisted to have Bob Clayton take over for him.
[snapback]66668[/snapback]
[/quote]

<Warning: Slightly off-topic>

Ralph Branca? As in the guy who gave up the "Shot Heard 'Round the World" to Bobby Thompson? I don't get what he has to do with Hugh Downs.. could you elaborate please? :-)

brianhenke

Dick Enberg's New Book
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2004, 11:33:53 PM »
Speaking of Sports Challenge, when did ESPN Classic stop showing it? (I hope I won't be bashed!)

Brian

Little Bo Peep lost her virginity?
The leaves start to change color in May?

mmb5

Dick Enberg's New Book
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2004, 10:00:00 AM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' date=\'Dec 9 2004, 08:51 PM\']
<Warning: Slightly off-topic>

Ralph Branca? As in the guy who gave up the "Shot Heard 'Round the World" to Bobby Thompson? I don't get what he has to do with Hugh Downs.. could you elaborate please? :-)
[snapback]66669[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ralph Branca was one of the contestants in the early 60s Tournament of Champions, where he played a best of seven against another player.  One of the episodes of this is at UCLA.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

uncamark

Dick Enberg's New Book
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2004, 12:32:30 PM »
I've seen that Branca was the first champ to win over 20 games.

Also, Downs' book mentions that he had disagreements with Norm Blumenthal over the standard game show trappings of studio audience, organ music (well, standard then) and screaming announcer.  Every so often, he would argue that the game itself was compelling enough without what he considered were cheapening elements.  Every time, Blumenthal would disagree.