Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My game show concept  (Read 6836 times)

Jay Temple

My game show concept
« on: December 09, 2004, 10:09:29 PM »
Here's the gist of it:

A bunch of prizes are made available at the MSRP, and those prices are given at the start of the game.  (Optimally, no two would have the exact same price.)
Players earn money with which to buy the prizes by answering questions whose value increases with the level of difficulty.
The first player to buy three prizes wins the game.

The dollar values that I'm using here are for illustrative purposes.  It could work just as well with higher or lower values.

The prizes are worth between $2,002 and $3,999.  At the beginning of the game, each player declares which prize he wants.  If two players or even all three want the same prize, they may all do so.

The questions have four values (actually 1,002):  $2000, $1500, $1000 and variable.  On the last one, the contestant who chooses it specifies the exact dollar value.  (Just to be clear, there's no such thing as a $732 question, just questions that are assigned to the variable-value pool.)

For the first question, and whenever no one answers a question, use a $1 toss-up question.  Once you have enough money to buy your prize, you do so.  You also choose a new prize, and if anyone else was pursuing that prize, they choose a new one.

It is possible under these rules that one or both of the other two players will be forced to choose a new prize and will already have enough to buy one of the remaining prizes.  If both players choose a prize for which they already have enough money, the right to buy a prize is based on these criteria, in this order:
1.  If it would be the third prize for one and not the other, the other counts first.
2.  Failing that, if they choose different prizes, the more expensive prize counts.  (This is one reason I would prefer that no two prizes be worth the exact same amount.)
3.  If they choose the same prize, the player with more money buys the prize.
4.  If they have the same amount of money, a $1 toss-up question determines the right to buy the prize.

Note that because the least valuable prize is at least $2,002, it is not possible to win a prize on the very first question chosen.
The reason for the variable value is a situation like this:  I have $2,500 and my prize is worth $2,689.  My opponent has $2,000 and his prize is worth $2,500.  I want my question to be worth enough so that I can buy my prize if I'm right but not enough for him to buy his prize if he's right.
Note that because there is less than $2,000 difference between the most and least expensive prizes, you will never have enough left after buying one prize to buy another without answering another question.

The player who buys his third prize gets to keep any cash he has left in the game and faces two more opponents.

Details not set in stone:
1. whether the losing contestants get to keep their prizes.  If there are seven new prizes in each game, and all of them are plugged at the beginning, I could probably afford to give away all prizes purchased, which is my preference.  If they're only plugged when they're won, the prize budget most likely wouldn't allow it.
2. whether prizes not won in the current game are reused in the next.  The only way I have a preference is if it affects whether I can give losing contestants the prizes they won.
3. the number of prizes available in a given game.  Obviously you need at least seven, but there's no reason you couldn't have more.  (Check that:  It may be that having exactly seven makes a weird situation less likely at the end after someone buys the sixth prize.)
4. whether a player buying a prize retains control of the board or another toss-up question is used
(ETA) 5.  whether a player within $998 of his prize is obliged to take his question for the exact amount needed

I don't have a title for the game, but if you assume the three-prizes-out-of-seven format, you could probably have something catchy with "3" in it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2004, 10:13:30 PM by Jay Temple »
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

itiparanoid13

My game show concept
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 10:13:58 PM »
Hey, I have a name for it after reading the first sentence: Sale of The Century.  A game show person could find this is just Sale with minorly altered rules.  Yes, I know that you made it so you have to buy 3 prizes to win, but the format of answering questions for prizes was already done, and this one seems boring to me.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2004, 10:18:16 PM by itiparanoid13 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
My game show concept
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 10:41:47 PM »
Why would I EVER not select the lowest-priced prize?

And it's just straight Q/A other than that? Bor-ring. Next.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

GS Warehouse

My game show concept
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 12:49:16 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 9 2004, 10:41 PM\']Bor-ring. Next.
[snapback]66680[/snapback]
[/quote]
[TPiR losing horns]  Another Free4All tape winner.  We're really moving those out this week.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
My game show concept
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 05:26:26 PM »
It's similar to a concept I devised and produced exactly 19 years ago, but mine had an intermediate game element which is missing from this, and mine had a little more drama than there is here. If I'd still been at G-T at the time I would have pitched it and called it "The New Say When!".
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 05:27:10 PM by chris319 »

Jimmy Owen

My game show concept
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2004, 08:04:05 PM »
The title I've come up with is "3!...To!...Win!"
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
My game show concept
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2004, 08:11:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 10 2004, 06:04 PM\']The title I've come up with is "3!...To!...Win!"
[snapback]66796[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'm still tossing around "This Still Sucks", myself. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jay Temple

My game show concept
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2004, 08:53:59 PM »
This is the only part of the format I'm going to defend:

[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 9 2004, 09:41 PM\']Why would I EVER not select the lowest-priced prize?
[snapback]66680[/snapback]
[/quote]
First, not everyone wants the same prizes.
Second, once one of your opponents buys a prize, you'll have a head start on yours.  That means that if the game isn't a total blowout, there's a very good chance that you'll get at least one prize.  Why not make it the one you actually like?  (This, admittedly, is based on my preference that non-winners get to keep the prizes they purchase.)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 08:54:40 PM by Jay Temple »
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

wheelloon

My game show concept
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2004, 08:56:09 PM »

My oh my! R u guys harsh or what?

I don't know if it'll make u feel better at all Jay, but I've had to deal with the same... they apparently don't like my idea of whatchamacallit too much.... ;)
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
My game show concept
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2004, 11:35:55 PM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' date=\'Dec 10 2004, 07:56 PM\']

My oh my! R u guys harsh or what?
[snapback]66802[/snapback]
[/quote]
What, mainly.  :)

(Sorry, but I go back to the days when R.L. Stine was the editor of a comical magazine with occasional lifestyle overtones called BANANAS, not this writer of children's books.  Stine would answer "Letters to the Editor" asking similar queries in such a fashion.)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
My game show concept
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2004, 12:41:19 AM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' date=\'Dec 10 2004, 08:56 PM\']My oh my! R u guys harsh or what?
[/quote]
We're not harsh.
When you post something to a discussion forum and ask for feedback; you get it. Granted, it may not be the feedback you want, but its feedback nontheless.  

It may encourage people to reconsidering posting their revival of "Give 'N Take".
--Mark
Phil 4:13

mystery7

My game show concept
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2004, 02:49:10 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Dec 11 2004, 12:41 AM\'][quote name=\'wheelloon\' date=\'Dec 10 2004, 08:56 PM\']My oh my! R u guys harsh or what?
[/quote]
We're not harsh.
When you post something to a discussion forum and ask for feedback; you get it. Granted, it may not be the feedback you want, but its feedback nontheless.  

It may encourage people to reconsidering posting their revival of "Give 'N Take".
[snapback]66831[/snapback]
[/quote]
There's a difference between constructive criticism and going all Simon Cowell on someone, though. And we've got more than our share of Simons here.

DrJWJustice

My game show concept
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2004, 03:12:05 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Dec 11 2004, 12:41 AM\'][quote name=\'wheelloon\' date=\'Dec 10 2004, 08:56 PM\']My oh my! R u guys harsh or what?
[/quote]
We're not harsh.

[snapback]66831[/snapback]
[/quote]

Being respectful is a rule here, but there's nothing against being brutally honest when someone asks for our opinions.  

Given what we've seen proposed in the past week or so, I'm beginning to wonder if we should rename this the Lame Show Forum.

Johnissoevil

My game show concept
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2004, 07:35:16 AM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Dec 9 2004, 10:13 PM\']Hey, I have a name for it after reading the first sentence: Sale of The Century.  A game show person could find this is just Sale with minorly altered rules.  Yes, I know that you made it so you have to buy 3 prizes to win, but the format of answering questions for prizes was already done, and this one seems boring to me.
[snapback]66677[/snapback]
[/quote]

No, Alex, you got it all wrong.  With it having the "boring" factor in place, why not call it "Sale of the Microsecond?"
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

GS Warehouse

My game show concept
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2004, 02:32:37 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Dec 11 2004, 02:49 AM\']There's a difference between constructive criticism and going all Simon Cowell on someone, though. And we've got more than our share of Simons here.
[snapback]66841[/snapback]
[/quote]
[Simon]You call that criticism?  I don't mean to be rude, but you can go to any forum in America and hear that.  That was simply dreadful.[/Simon]