Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Joe Cipriano on ET tomorrow  (Read 7002 times)

johnnya2k3

Joe Cipriano on ET tomorrow
« on: December 10, 2004, 12:22:45 AM »
Back when we were at ATGS, I said we never saw the face of Joe Cipriano, announcer on Alan Thicke's "Pictionary" as well as the voice behind the promos for Fox (until the mid-'90s), CBS, and Food Network.

Well tomorrow on Entertainment Tonight, we'll finally get to see Joe behind the microphone; he's part of a "Stage 28" feature story on the REAL highest-paid talent in Hollywood...the voice actors behind network promos and movie trailers; many of them do their work right at home without hopping from one recording studio to another. I wouldn't be surprised if we'll also be seeing former GSN promo announcer Neil Ross on there too.

Any other announcers we've NEVER got to see on camera besides Ross?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 03:19:32 AM »
Seems like a story more suited to "The Insider" with Pat O'Brien.  Any word on an in-depth follow up on the ET story on TI?  Pat has some experience as a radio announcer as well, he filled in for Casey Kasem, I think.  Might have been John Tesh or Leeza Gibbons' radio shows, though.  If he wasn't on TV, Pat could probably make a good chunk of change as a voice over artist.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

johnnya2k3

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 04:45:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 10 2004, 12:19 AM\']Seems like a story more suited to "The Insider" with Pat O'Brien.  Any word on an in-depth follow up on the ET story on TI?  Pat has some experience as a radio announcer as well, he filled in for Casey Kasem, I think.  Might have been John Tesh or Leeza Gibbons' radio shows, though.  If he wasn't on TV, Pat could probably make a good chunk of change as a voice over artist.
[snapback]66698[/snapback]
[/quote]

Nah, but long before he started his TV career he played in a local band in his hometown in South Dakota. Oh, and he only subbed for Casey Kasem.

But at one time, he did a Red Lobster commercial in the mid-'90s.

BTW...Billy Bush (Pat's uber-obnoxious successor on Access Hollywood who of course flopped hosting LMAD 2003) was a radio DJ in D.C. before heading to television.

zachhoran

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 07:43:18 AM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Dec 10 2004, 12:22 AM\']I wouldn't be surprised if we'll also be seeing former GSN promo announcer Neil Ross on there too.

[snapback]66693[/snapback]
[/quote]

Charlie Tuna(?), Michael Hanks(BtB85), Larry Van Nuys(TTD90), Ed Mackay(TJW90, Treasure Mall) I think are a few.

tyshaun1

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 07:47:03 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 10 2004, 07:43 AM\'][quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Dec 10 2004, 12:22 AM\']I wouldn't be surprised if we'll also be seeing former GSN promo announcer Neil Ross on there too.

[snapback]66693[/snapback]
[/quote]

Charlie Tuna(?)
[snapback]66704[/snapback]
[/quote]

BZZZZ......oh, sorry Zach, Charlie Tuna WAS seen on camera, on the last episode of the original Scrabble. But thanks for playing, we have nice parting gifts, (insert announcer name here), tell him what he's leaving with.

Tyshaun

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2004, 12:15:03 PM »
Of course, as we all know, Charlie Tuna is the same person as Charlie O'Donnell.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

wheelloon

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2004, 12:18:21 PM »
Of course, as we all know, Charlie Tuna is the same person as Charlie O'Donnell.

What's that supposed to mean? ;(
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

tvrandywest

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2004, 01:34:59 PM »
Here's an excerpt from Joe Cipriano's note to me about the ET feature:

>> Entertainment Tonight is doing a segment this week about Network Voice
>> Guys.  I'm one of the v/o guys in the segment along with Don
>> LaFontaine, Andy Geller and Dave Fennoy.
>>
>> The piece is called, "The Best Job in Hollywood."  
>>Who am I to disagree  :-)  
>> ET came by and filmed me doing some work in my studio, hanging
>> out at home with the family and going out to the studios to do sessions.
>>

The footage was actually shot a couple of months back, and the feature saved for the holiday season.

Don LaFontaine has been seen previously in this kind of feature, but not since he's had his new look with his shaved head. You'll easily recognize him. He started as an editor for film trailers and orchestrated a career that made him THE archetypical serious voice of trailers. His home studio is sweet, and just 10 feet from his sauna and indoor pool on the lower level of his Los Feliz home that looks as marvelous inside as the view of Griffith Park outside.

Cipriano has been a buddy since we were in radio together in Connecticut in the 70s. You'll recognize him as shorter in height and perpetually smiling (as well he should be!). His home is more traditional, and his studio in a small building on the other side of the pool. His voice is immediately recognizeable from FOX and CBS comedy promos, as well as The Food Channel and a few million other clients.

Andy Geller is newer to the fold. Like Cip, he's in his 40s with dark hair. A more serious kind of guy with a lower-key delivery. Dave Fennoy is another good guy, and his voice will sound familiar, as well.

Enjoy!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

bricon

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2004, 01:38:27 PM »
Larry Van Nuys(TTD90), Ed Mackay(TJW90, Treasure Mall)

Both of these fellows do some work for L.A. radio station KNX.  You can see Ed's profile here, and Larry's profile here.

Also at KNX is former Price Is Right announcer candidate, Jim Thornton.  He's here.

TalkingHeadsFan

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2004, 02:16:16 PM »
Try visiting www.primetimevoices.com They have many of TV and Radio's prominent voice-over announcers featured, although I still think Hal Douglas (AKA "In A World" Movie Announcer) should have been listed, since he does many promos for UPN...

Doug

tvwxman

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2004, 02:56:56 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Dec 10 2004, 01:34 PM\']
Cipriano has been a buddy since we were in radio together in Connecticut in the 70s.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[snapback]66747[/snapback]
[/quote]

Question from the Nutmeg state....where/when was this? Ever come back, or is this one of the 6 states you're not allowed in anymore?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Don Howard

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2004, 04:20:14 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Dec 10 2004, 07:47 AM\'][BZZZZ......oh, sorry Zach, Charlie Tuna WAS seen on camera, on the last episode of the original Scrabble.
[snapback]66705[/snapback]
[/quote]
He was shown on at least two other episodes. One was when Chuck talked about how Charlie was one of the first DJs to play Naturally Stoned and another was when a contestant talked about what a fan she was of Charlie's radio show on KHTZ and Charlie went on stage to meet her.

tvrandywest

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2004, 05:59:30 PM »
Cipriano has been a buddy since we were in radio together in Connecticut in the 70s.
Question from the Nutmeg state....where/when was this? Ever come back, or is this one of the 6 states you're not allowed in anymore?

Thankfully, I think the statute of limitations has long run out.   ;-)

Cip was still in high school when he started doing afternoons at 1240/WWCO in Waterbury. He would do his homework during the long records... seriously.

I worked briefly at WGCH, Greenwich as one of my first jobs. Later I jocked and programmed in the New Haven/Bridgeport market. The entire Connecticut radio community was particularly friendly in that era.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 06:30:04 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

johnnya2k3

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2004, 06:34:40 PM »
Two other announcers whose faces we've never seen are Jerry Bishop (Judge Judy announcer who was also the voice of Disney Channel promos till the early '90s) and Les Marshak (Academy Awards announcer for much of the '90s), who had an uncredited role in Naked Gun 33 1/3...which featured a cameo by Vanna White during -- you guessed it -- the final scene which took place at the Oscars!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2004, 06:40:29 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Dec 10 2004, 02:34 PM\']Don LaFontaine ...
He started as an editor for film trailers and orchestrated a career that made him THE archetypical serious voice of trailers. [/quote]
That's a great way of putting it.  I've always wondered, with all the great voices in Hollywood (and just about anywhere else for that matter) how this one guy out of thousands became THE guy for doing that sort of thing.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 06:40:40 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.