Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: If You Were Around Then  (Read 5148 times)

Don Howard

If You Were Around Then
« on: December 12, 2004, 07:26:00 PM »
For those of you who tuned to CBS to see your first episode of Whew!, what were your impressions of that first show you saw?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
If You Were Around Then
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2004, 07:29:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Dec 12 2004, 05:26 PM\']For those of you who tuned to CBS to see your first episode of Whew!, what were your impressions of that first show you saw?
[snapback]66993[/snapback]
[/quote]
"Damn, this rules."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

aaron sica

If You Were Around Then
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2004, 07:41:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Dec 12 2004, 07:26 PM\']For those of you who tuned to CBS to see your first episode of Whew!, what were your impressions of that first show you saw?
[snapback]66993[/snapback]
[/quote]

My first impressions (mind you, at the time, I was 4)..

"Wow, that's cool, the clock is on the screen for more than just the bonus round!"
"Wow, 'The Price is Right' is not on at 10:30 anymore!"

The Ol' Guy

If You Were Around Then
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2004, 09:06:08 PM »
Loved it. Wasn't sure what to expect from the name, but once things got rolling, it was a game of laughs, knowledge, and a race against the clock. I'm with many of you who think it left too early.

Jimmy Owen

If You Were Around Then
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2004, 09:24:45 PM »
Mixed emotions. Liked the theme song, enjoyed the game; was surprised to learn at the end that the guy from "Soap" was the announcer, he certainly didn't sound the same; wondered who was this Bud Austin guy; good to see Richard C. Hottelet still reading the news after the show; sad that "Match Game" wouldn't be on anymore.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

aaron sica

If You Were Around Then
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2004, 09:33:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 12 2004, 09:24 PM\']Mixed emotions. Liked the theme song, enjoyed the game; was surprised to learn at the end that the guy from "Soap" was the announcer, he certainly didn't sound the same; wondered who was this Bud Austin guy; good to see Richard C. Hottelet still reading the news after the show; sad that "Match Game" wouldn't be on anymore.
[snapback]67009[/snapback]
[/quote]

Oh, yes, how easily I forget that "Whew!" was a 25-minute show because of CBS News at 10:55..

DrJWJustice

If You Were Around Then
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 01:20:07 AM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Dec 12 2004, 09:06 PM\']Loved it. Wasn't sure what to expect from the name, but once things got rolling, it was a game of laughs, knowledge, and a race against the clock. I'm with many of you who think it left too early.
[snapback]67007[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ditto on it leaving too soon.  If there's a game that could make a comeback somewhere, I think this is one of them.  It would certainly make a good computer game or even a home board game (HINT HINT!).

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
If You Were Around Then
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 06:03:23 AM »
Great ticket plug cue.

I thought it was just passable until I watched it a few times and some of its flaws became apparent (the material went by too fast and the blocking strategies were based largely on chance).

One game show producer and son of a celebrity folksinger pronounced it "unwatchable". I think that's too harsh.

Anyone know why they went through two or three different directors? Klauss?

Ian Wallis

If You Were Around Then
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004, 09:05:34 AM »
It got me hooked almost right away.  When I was home from school, I usually watched "All Star Secrets", which was on opposite "Whew".  As soon as I saw the latter I hardly ever watched "ASS" (can I say that?) again - except for that show's final episode.

The first show I ever saw was in late May 1979, so it was pretty early in the run.   I was pleased when Howard Wilson's shows hit the trade curcuit - they are all from June 1979, and are the earliest shows currently available.  I loved the set and the theme from the get-go, and it's still my all-time favorite game show theme today!

I was disappointed when it was cancelled in June 1980.  Did the "Alice" reruns really do better in the ratings?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

tvwxman

If You Were Around Then
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2004, 10:44:58 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Dec 13 2004, 09:05 AM\']I was disappointed when it was cancelled in June 1980.  Did the "Alice" reruns really do better in the ratings?
[snapback]67046[/snapback]
[/quote]

Probably not, but Alice was a heluva lot cheaper to program.

And my memories of Whew? None. I was 5 at the time , and when I saw the advertisement touting the premiere with all of the 'villians', I was afraid. Yep, scared. Saw a commercial and that was all I would take.

Saw my first episode on my FIRST video tape trade 9 years ago (Thanks Chris Lambert!)..... and i've been a fan since. (and wondering why I was a big wussy back then).
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 10:45:41 AM by tvwxman »
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

aaron sica

If You Were Around Then
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2004, 10:59:20 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Dec 13 2004, 10:44 AM\']Probably not, but Alice was a heluva lot cheaper to program.
[/quote]

Definitely....From the time that "Whew!" was cancelled to September of 1982, the entire 10am-11am CBS hour was reruns. "Jeffersons" at 10am until September 1981 (replaced by "One Day at a Time"), and of course, Alice at 10:30.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 10:59:42 AM by aaron sica »

alfonzos

If You Were Around Then
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2004, 02:49:26 PM »
Interesting game....but the name is stupid and the payoff much too big.

I enjoyed the sound effects and the set which looked as if it were designed by a comic book artist.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

The Ol' Guy

If You Were Around Then
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2004, 03:12:51 PM »
Dr. J - The "Whew" foundation was copped by at least one game maker - University Games had a board game called Phractured Phrases not long after Whew left the air. You moved around the board by correcting the gag words inserted in famous quotes, Shakespeare lines, and the like. If you ever stumble onto it in a second hand store or eBay, you could use it as a material source for a home game.

uncamark

If You Were Around Then
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2004, 05:21:44 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Dec 13 2004, 06:03 AM\']Anyone know why they went through two or three different directors? Klauss?
[snapback]67041[/snapback]
[/quote]

Short of the Randy Amasia seance, I'll guess:  Did Carruthers pick up better-paying gigs?

It does seem to me that Chris Darley was Carruthers' original AD on the show and that it may've been his first directing credit.  Just like Mark Corwin succeeding Dick Carson or Kevin McCarthy succeeding Dick Schneider.

JCGames

If You Were Around Then
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2004, 08:12:33 PM »
That newscast that followed Whew! was presented by Douglas Edwards......but Mr Hottelet occasionally popped up with a report from the UN(he was the CBS correspondent there).