Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: If You Were Around Then  (Read 5146 times)

bricon

If You Were Around Then
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2004, 08:24:45 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 13 2004, 05:21 PM\']It does seem to me that Chris Darley was Carruthers' original AD on the show and that it may've been his first directing credit.
[snapback]67128[/snapback]
[/quote]

Chris once told me his first directing experience was filling in on "The Girl In My Life", when the regular director took ill.  No word on if he took ill based on having to direct "The Girl In My Life".

:)

TimK2003

If You Were Around Then
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2004, 09:35:32 PM »
For me, "Whew" was to me what day-glo posters under black lights were to the stoners of the early 70's.

The music was -- and still is -- some of the best game show music I have ever heard.
(Thank you, Alan Thicke!)

The use of a cartoon intro was cool.
(Thank you, Hanna-Barbera!)

The LONGSHOT! and turning trilon sfx-es were a great little touch.

And that break-away set that opened up in stages leading into the Gauntlet round kicked ass as well -- not to mention Alan Thicke had the perfect music cue for that ordeal!

Rod Roddy's high-octane, occasional crackling, announcing voice really matched the shows premise.

And for those who remembered "Blackie" the contestant who screwed up his leg after winning the main-game, only to come back a few weeks later to literal "Pomp & Circumstance" to run the Gauntlet.  At that time I knew Jay Wolpert was gonna do great things for the game show world.

Despite what some people say, the show rocked and should've had a much longer run.  That show and Big Showdown are 2 shows that deserve a 21st Century resurrection!

tyshaun1

If You Were Around Then
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2004, 09:44:35 PM »
[quote name=\'bricon\' date=\'Dec 13 2004, 08:24 PM\']Chris once told me his first directing experience was filling in on "The Girl In My Life", when the regular director took ill.  No word on if he took ill based on having to direct "The Girl In My Life". :)
[snapback]67159[/snapback]
[/quote]

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Carruthers the director (or producer) on that show? He seemed to let his AD take the director's chair every now and then (witness Rick Stern directing several episodes of PYL)

Jay Temple

If You Were Around Then
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2004, 10:05:04 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Dec 13 2004, 08:35 PM\']Despite what some people say, the show rocked and should've had a much longer run.  That show and Big Showdown are 2 shows that deserve a 21st Century resurrection!
[snapback]67170[/snapback]
[/quote]
Agree on Whew! without reservation.  I really liked The Big Showdown, too, but it should only come back if they come up with a better endgame.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Ian Wallis

If You Were Around Then
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2004, 09:27:26 AM »
Despite what some people say, the show rocked and should've had a much longer run. That show and Big Showdown are 2 shows that deserve a 21st Century resurrection!

I've always thought the original "Whew" would have a good home on GSN.  In a 25-minute format, GSN could run 5 extra minutes of commercials and promos - which I'm sure they'd love!

Isn't there some disagreement now over exctly who owns the show - or is it that they just want too much for the rights?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

aaron sica

If You Were Around Then
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2004, 09:35:45 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Dec 13 2004, 09:35 PM\']And that break-away set that opened up in stages leading into the Gauntlet round kicked ass as well -- not to mention Alan Thicke had the perfect music cue for that ordeal!
[snapback]67170[/snapback]
[/quote]

"....and HERE! THEY! ARE!". Hands down, my favorite part of the show is the open into the Gauntlet round.....

uncamark

If You Were Around Then
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2004, 05:49:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Dec 14 2004, 09:27 AM\']
Despite what some people say, the show rocked and should've had a much longer run. That show and Big Showdown are 2 shows that deserve a 21st Century resurrection!

I've always thought the original "Whew" would have a good home on GSN.  In a 25-minute format, GSN could run 5 extra minutes of commercials and promos - which I'm sure they'd love!

Isn't there some disagreement now over exctly who owns the show - or is it that they just want too much for the rights?
[snapback]67208[/snapback]
[/quote]

Original regime:  Was content with G-T and Sony-owned shows (and most likely didn't have a budget for acquisitions anyway).

Fleming/Tauber regime:  Wasn't spending any money on acquisitions at all.

Cronin/Boden regime:  Not enough of a name to justify going after--Boden may've--emphasized *may've*---suggested it, but Cronin was probably not interested.

Current regime:  In our dreams.