Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Winnings and Quiz Bowl  (Read 4578 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
Game Show Winnings and Quiz Bowl
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2004, 03:11:25 PM »
Take this one with a grain of salt, preferably one the size of Wyoming...

Ben Recchie--University of Chicago College Bowl player, won $10,000 in the Hardball Hot Seat thingy.  Like I said, grain of salt, size of Wyoming.  As a useless side note, one of Recchie's UofC College Bowl teammates is my sister's best friend and a good friend of mine.  Mike B. might know her as well, but we'll talk about that via e-mail.  Suddenly we're playing a new game--Six Degrees of Mike Burger!

As I'm sure everybody knows by now, the Hardball finals never aired.  Take my word about Recchie winning. ;-)

mmb5

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2004, 08:58:10 AM »
[quote name=\'rigsby\' date=\'Aug 31 2004, 01:16 PM\'] As for the other people I mentioned, Matt Kane played for Tulsa Memorial (again, I don't remember his J! results, but maybe someone else will), and Matt Bruce played for Tulsa Washington (and, I believe, for Harvard). [/quote]
 Actually it's Boston University.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

rigsby

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2004, 09:50:08 AM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Sep 1 2004, 07:58 AM\'] [quote name=\'rigsby\' date=\'Aug 31 2004, 01:16 PM\'] As for the other people I mentioned, Matt Kane played for Tulsa Memorial (again, I don't remember his J! results, but maybe someone else will), and Matt Bruce played for Tulsa Washington (and, I believe, for Harvard). [/quote]
Actually it's Boston University. [/quote]
 Actually, it was Harvard, according to Matt's bio page at http://www.geocities.com/matt979/bio.html.  Boston U was his law school.

Steve McClellan

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2004, 03:31:52 AM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Aug 30 2004, 04:16 PM\']trying to compile a list of anyone who played both quiz bowl in either high school or college and appeared on a national game show.[/quote]
In lieu of a "Raise the Dead" marathon this year, I think I'll just raise a dormant thread. ;)

In case this search is ongoing, we have a new addition: Rachel McCool, who appeared on the J! College Championship on Tuesday, played for Woodland Hills H.S. on Giant Eagle Hometown High Q in the '01-02 and '02-03 school years (the latter of which concluded with Rachel's memory failing on a question asking for Omar Khayyam's best-known work, costing her team the championship). Good to see she didn't let that keep her away from game shows. :)

vtown7

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2004, 08:48:19 PM »
I *think* I fit into this category... even if I'm a Canadian, lol.

I played SchoolReach (formerly "Reach for the top") from 1994-97 in high school, and was a $28,250 winner on Wheel of Fortune in May 1997.  Ironically, I missed my last possible chance at a Reach tourney due to my Wheel taping... I think I made the right choice :)

In the end, everything has come full circle... I worked at a high school two years ago and started up Reach there... and now I'm back this year and back coaching again.

Cheers,

Ryan :)

tidefan12

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2004, 09:13:50 PM »
I think I am a part of this group....I was on the Scholar's Bowl team at Glencoe High School in Glencoe, Alabama from 1989-91.  I laid a goose egg on the syndicated "Weakest Link" in 2002 and won $1,200 on "Pyramid" last year.  

Shane Elsberry