Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 2004 Cheers & Jeers  (Read 9307 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
2004 Cheers & Jeers
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2004, 04:28:17 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 11:03 AM\']It's safe to say ABC has some success in two little-known shows called "Desparate Housewives" and "Boston Legal."
[snapback]69182[/snapback]
[/quote]
Has "Legal" really picked up some steam? I remember some reports that the ratings for the first few weeks were, well, awful. Particularly compared to the previous occupant of the time slot that had born it...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

GSWitch

2004 Cheers & Jeers
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2004, 04:31:31 PM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Dec 29 2004, 10:31 PM\'][quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Dec 29 2004, 10:37 PM\']JEERS:  Fox pulling a reversal Robin Hood "rob from the poor (non cable) & give to the rich (cable)" by quickly yanking The Next Great Champ, the first male only reality show (or as I call it, the Pro Fan/Grandstand of reality).  Sure they can keep The Swan, but they had to dump Champ!  The 2nd insult from Fox since they still snub "O Canada" & The Toronto Blue Jays!
[/quote]

JEERS (or CHEERS, depending on your point of view):  GSWitch, because I have to award yet another Scarecrow for the above comment (refer to Zinkin's post above for the reason).
[snapback]69104[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks for the Scarecrow!  All I need now is the Tin Man & Cowardly Lion (tee hee hee!)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
2004 Cheers & Jeers
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2004, 04:50:26 PM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 02:31 PM\'][quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Dec 29 2004, 10:31 PM\'][quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Dec 29 2004, 10:37 PM\']JEERS:  Fox pulling a reversal Robin Hood "rob from the poor (non cable) & give to the rich (cable)" by quickly yanking The Next Great Champ, the first male only reality show (or as I call it, the Pro Fan/Grandstand of reality).  Sure they can keep The Swan, but they had to dump Champ!  The 2nd insult from Fox since they still snub "O Canada" & The Toronto Blue Jays!
[/quote]

JEERS (or CHEERS, depending on your point of view):  GSWitch, because I have to award yet another Scarecrow for the above comment (refer to Zinkin's post above for the reason).
[snapback]69104[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks for the Scarecrow!  All I need now is the Tin Man & Cowardly Lion (tee hee hee!)
[snapback]69218[/snapback]
[/quote]
You are the very textbook definition of a gibbering idiot. Ignorance MUST be bliss, it's the only explanation for your neverending supply of continuous glee.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DrJWJustice

2004 Cheers & Jeers
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2004, 04:53:40 PM »
Thanks for the Scarecrow!  All I need now is the Tin Man & Cowardly Lion (tee hee hee!)
[snapback]69218[/snapback]

Well, since you've mentioned the Tin Man and the Cowardly Lion, you've obviously seen The Wizard of Oz .  You should know, then, that the Scarecrow didn't have a brain.  Maybe you can put two and two together and figure out why you got that 'award'.  

You know, I'd just bet you'd win a million Turkish lira on Who Wants to Be a Horanionaire, given your comment above.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 04:58:45 PM by DrJWJustice »

TimK2003

2004 Cheers & Jeers
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2004, 05:40:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Game Show Man\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 03:23 PM\']JEERS to the production companies for not being smart enough to develop new game show concepts in the wake of KenJen's run.
[snapback]69207[/snapback]
[/quote]

Actually, I wouldn't blame the production companies.  Most of the PC's who are cranking out all of the forensic/crime stories are different than the PC's who are cramming reality shows and reality shows 'disguised' as game shows down our throats.  And of course, all of those PC's are not related to the ones who truly want to get real game shows on the air.  I am sure that there are a few game-show production companies out there right now who keep wanting appointments to meet the networks, but are just thrown into voice-mails instead.

The JEERS should actually be directed to all those network ($&!t)heads who refuse to see any of the game show PC's or hear their concepts, or to those same network know-it-alls who do not promote the hell out of game shows on their networks like they do with "Meet My New Obnoxious Swan Factor Idol" shows.

sshuffield70

2004 Cheers & Jeers
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2004, 07:12:45 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 04:28 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 11:03 AM\']It's safe to say ABC has some success in two little-known shows called "Desparate Housewives" and "Boston Legal."
[/quote]
Has "Legal" really picked up some steam? I remember some reports that the ratings for the first few weeks were, well, awful. Particularly compared to the previous occupant of the time slot that had born it...
[snapback]69217[/snapback]
[/quote]

From what our local critic wrote last week, "Legal" is losing 12 million of DH's viewers.

BrandonFG

2004 Cheers & Jeers
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2004, 03:07:08 AM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 07:12 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 04:28 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 11:03 AM\']It's safe to say ABC has some success in two little-known shows called "Desparate Housewives" and "Boston Legal."
[/quote]
[snapback]69217[/snapback]
[/quote]

From what our local critic wrote last week, "Legal" is losing 12 million of DH's viewers.
[snapback]69246[/snapback]
[/quote]

As if that doesn't seem crucial enough, looking at the overall ratings, it's #25 on the season. Not bad, until you notice that Desparate Housewives is #2 on the season.

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/thesunherald/...nt/10480756.htm
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

tvwxman

2004 Cheers & Jeers
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2004, 09:16:47 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 31 2004, 03:07 AM\']As if that doesn't seem crucial enough, looking at the overall ratings, it's #25 on the season. Not bad, until you notice that Desparate Housewives is #2 on the season.

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/thesunherald/...nt/10480756.htm
[snapback]69309[/snapback]
[/quote]

Right....after DH, it's losing a good chunk of it's audience. On its own, the ratings are solid....and ABC likes being in bed with David Kelley.

Prediction (From an ABC-affiliate employee who remembers 10-8, Karen Cisco, and "The Real Roseanne Show" from just last year!) : Boston Legal gets renewed.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

sshuffield70

2004 Cheers & Jeers
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2004, 10:23:11 AM »
Well, I suppose if Ellen can get renewed with a 1.6...."Legal" can get renewed, too.

starcade

2004 Cheers & Jeers
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2004, 12:53:58 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 12:50 PM\'][quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 11:56 AM\'][quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 10:15 AM\']
JEERS: ...To ABC for quietly dissing the seasonal return of "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire".  Their excuse:  "We have what we need now to be tops in the overall ratings, thank you...But no thanks, Regis"  Hey ABC, why not be greedy and go for the ratings 'jugular vein' as well -- you can fall back into the basement just as fast...Might as well get as much out of being #1 while you can!

[snapback]69148[/snapback]
[/quote]

Is SuperBAM officially a no-go?
[snapback]69168[/snapback]
[/quote]

At least for February sweeps.  They don't it right now--but things could change and they may need some fresh summer programming...
[snapback]69178[/snapback]
[/quote]

The way things are going, it looks doubtful.  With Nicolette Sheridan dropping all sensibility along with her towel on that T&A fest on Sunday and Scripted Survivor on Wednesday, it sounds like ABC has enough to keep Regis to just doing New Year's Eve this year.

starcade

2004 Cheers & Jeers
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2004, 12:55:51 PM »
OK, a slight bias here:

But CHEERS to Deborah Gibson for redeeming a horrific performance on "The Weakest Link" by aiding Jody Gray in winning $100,000 in a jaw-dropping tournament run in the final Pyramid tournament.

(No, I'm not going to claim she's the best ever at the darn game -- but a darn sight better than "Reality TV Week" or some of the other stunts they pulled...)

byrd62

2004 Cheers & Jeers
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2005, 09:57:30 AM »
[quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Dec 31 2004, 12:55 PM\']OK, a slight bias here:

But CHEERS to Deborah Gibson for redeeming a horrific performance on "The Weakest Link" by aiding Jody Gray in winning $100,000 in a jaw-dropping tournament run in the final Pyramid tournament.

(No, I'm not going to claim she's the best ever at the darn game -- but a darn sight better than "Reality TV Week" or some of the other stunts they pulled...)
[snapback]69351[/snapback]
[/quote]

Debbie Gibson was but a child growing up on Long Island during the era of the old New York Pyramid [she was 1½(!) when it premiered in 1973], and was a teen on the verge of top-40 stardom during the 1980's L.A. version of same, so one would hope that she might have found some time in her earlier, young life to have watched either of those versions, else she wouldn't have played the most recent Pyramid so successfully earlier this year.  We would have seen more of Debbie had Pyramid gone on to this season.

Don Howard

2004 Cheers & Jeers
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2005, 10:19:44 PM »
CHEERS to the legends who attended last year's Game Show Congress. Every one of 'em who said they'd be there showed up. MEGACHEER to Tom Kennedy who appeared even though his bride was in the hospital.
CHEERS to the television stations that renewed Wheel Of Fortune and Jeopardy! through 2010.
JEERS to the powers in the towers who ordained that the farewell be rushed on Hollywood Squares.

zachhoran

2004 Cheers & Jeers
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2005, 10:27:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jan 1 2005, 10:19 PM\']CHEERS to the legends who attended last year's Game Show Congress. Every one of 'em who said they'd be there showed up. MEGACHEER to Tom Kennedy who appeared even though his bride was in the hospital.
CHEERS to the television stations that renewed Wheel Of Fortune and Jeopardy! through 2010.
JEERS to the powers in the towers who ordained that the farewell be rushed on Hollywood Squares.
[snapback]69434[/snapback]
[/quote]

Didn't Bob Hilton bow out of the event at the last minute?

There was no excuse for not doing a goodbye on the last H2. The last match and bonus round ended with one more segment to go. THey used that last segment to start a match that they knew damned well there'd never be enough time to finish, and with that bit of time they could have done a two or three minute song and dance for a goodbye.

Don Howard

2004 Cheers & Jeers
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2005, 10:30:40 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 1 2005, 10:27 PM\']Didn't Bob Hilton bow out of the event at the last minute?
[snapback]69435[/snapback]
[/quote]
Indeed he did. And I was even the guy who told you about it last summer because Bob had told me. Boy, I am slippin'.