Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Moonlighting Announcers  (Read 7264 times)

mystery7

Moonlighting Announcers
« on: December 30, 2004, 01:52:02 AM »
That thread about hosts guest starring on other shows inpired me to start this thread. Have you seen any announcers outside of their natural surroundings? I'm not talking about their Music Of Your Life shows or regular gigs. I'm talking about stuff like:

- Johnny Jacobs as the host of a LMAD ripoff on Sanford & Son
- Charlie O'Donnell as the news reporter in an episode of Batman, OR one of the golf commentators in a Buick commercial from a few years ago.
- Gene Wood on the Pepsi Challenge commercials from the '70s
- Jack Clark for National Geographic World

It's bound to be a smaller list than the hosts guesting on other shows, but I'm all for equal time.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
Moonlighting Announcers
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 02:20:47 AM »
I swore Charlie O'Donnell was doing a commercial recently for a kids board game...

BrandonFG

Moonlighting Announcers
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 02:21:37 AM »
-There was an episode of "Martin" where Charlie O'Donnell was an announcer for a basketball game.

-Randy West has done a number of commercials.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Moonlighting Announcers
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 03:38:52 AM »
Bob Hilton hosting LMAD.

(oops. did I say that out loud?)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Don Howard

Moonlighting Announcers
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 09:29:36 AM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 01:52 AM\']- Johnny Jacobs as the host of a LMAD ripoff on Sanford & Son
[snapback]69127[/snapback]
[/quote]
Johnny was the announcer for that segment. John Barbour played the host. Johnny did play a talk show host in an episode of Leave It To Beaver, however.
Does Johnny Olson's cameo as The Town Crier in a late 1970s Honeymooners special count?

mystery7

Moonlighting Announcers
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 11:59:32 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 09:29 AM\']Does Johnny Olson's cameo as The Town Crier in a late 1970s Honeymooners special count?
[snapback]69149[/snapback]
[/quote]
Judges? (ding) Yes! We'll take that. We'd also accept Johnny O as the announcer on The Jackie Gleason show.

Strikerz: I saw a couple of 10- or 15-second spots for a couple of University Games (Worst Case Scenario and some other one) during Wheel this week. Those must be the ones you're thinking of, and if so, that's Charlie O. I almost brought that up in the original post but wanted to be sure I wasn't hallucinating.

Might as well mention the Sunday Night At The Movies bumpers Charlie O did for NBC.

uncamark

Moonlighting Announcers
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2004, 12:17:21 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 11:59 AM\'][quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 09:29 AM\']Does Johnny Olson's cameo as The Town Crier in a late 1970s Honeymooners special count?
[snapback]69149[/snapback]
[/quote]
Judges? (ding) Yes! We'll take that. We'd also accept Johnny O as the announcer on The Jackie Gleason show.

Strikerz: I saw a couple of 10- or 15-second spots for a couple of University Games (Worst Case Scenario and some other one) during Wheel this week. Those must be the ones you're thinking of, and if so, that's Charlie O. I almost brought that up in the original post but wanted to be sure I wasn't hallucinating.

Might as well mention the Sunday Night At The Movies bumpers Charlie O did for NBC.
[snapback]69169[/snapback]
[/quote]

Charlie O also played the role of a newscaster reporting the news events of 1965 while Simon and Garfunkel sang a beloved Christmas carol in "Silent Night/6 O'Clock News." I got the S&G box set a few months ago and even with 40 years' distance, that cut still delivers a solid punch.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Moonlighting Announcers
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2004, 12:51:53 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 10:59 AM\']Judges? (ding) Yes! We'll take that. We'd also accept Johnny O as the announcer on The Jackie Gleason show.
[snapback]69169[/snapback]
[/quote]
Then we'd also have to accept Jay Stewart introducing Jimmy Durante Presents The Lennon Sisters Hour (call it a guilty pleasure--I'm a sucker for late 60s/early 70s variety series).

Kudos to Mark J. for pointing out Charlie O.'s "news" reading in the Simon & Garfunkel tune--I got the cut a la carte (via iTunes) and had no idea it was him on the recording; I just liked the melding.

Doug -- and the countdown to 900 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

GSWitch

Moonlighting Announcers
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2004, 04:40:16 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 12:52 AM\']- Johnny Jacobs as the host of a LMAD ripoff on Sanford & Son
[/quote]

I remember that episode, it was called Wheel-N-Deal that Harry Monty (John Barbour) hosted (years before Real People).  Grady's a fairy princess, Fred's a gorilla & Bubba's a viking.

HARRY:  What is your name sir?
BUBBA:  Leif Ericson & I am a Viking.
HARRY:  OK Viking, I'll give you $500 if you have...a tube of lipstick!
BUBBA:  What would I do with a tube of lipstick?  I'm a Viking, not a VIQUEEN!

Would've been funny if Aunt Esther had been on the show.

HARRY:  Wow!  That's some mask!  Let's see your face.
ESTHER:  Watch it sucker!

tvrandywest

Moonlighting Announcers
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2004, 05:59:32 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Dec 29 2004, 10:52 PM\']Charlie O'Donnell as the news reporter in an episode of Batman
[/quote]
If we're thinking of the same Batman episode (an international hoohaha at a museum ifrc), look carefully to see a bevy of voicers. Coincidence? No. one of the writers on Batman, Stanley Ralph Ross, was also a VO talent of great distinction in the "larynx fellowship".   ;-)

Randy West has done a number of commercials.
One of my less recognizeable gigs was providing the serious narration for CourTV's "Hollywood and Crime". I miss that gig; I did it at home in my underwear with the producer in my ear.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

aaron sica

Moonlighting Announcers
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2004, 06:01:37 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 05:59 PM\']
One of my less recognizeable gigs was providing the serious narration for CourTV's "Hollywood and Crime". I miss that gig; I did it at home in my underwear with the producer in my ear.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[snapback]69238[/snapback]
[/quote]

What you do with a producer in your underwear is YOUR business, thank you very much. :)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Moonlighting Announcers
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2004, 06:02:58 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 03:59 PM\']I did it at home in my underwear with the producer in my ear.
[/quote]
Man, this conjures up images a man just should NOT think about another man. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SplitSecond

Moonlighting Announcers
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2004, 06:34:55 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 04:02 PM\'][quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 03:59 PM\']I did it at home in my underwear with the producer in my ear.
[/quote]
Man, this conjures up images a man just should NOT think about another man. :)
[snapback]69242[/snapback]
[/quote]
Q-tips are easier.

tvwxman

Moonlighting Announcers
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2004, 07:29:17 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 05:59 PM\']

[/quote]

Making money, at home and in your underwear. With someone whispering in your ear.

Heidi Fliess on Line 2.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Jimmy Owen

Moonlighting Announcers
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2004, 07:58:43 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 05:59 PM\'][quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Dec 29 2004, 10:52 PM\']Charlie O'Donnell as the news reporter in an episode of Batman
[/quote]
If we're thinking of the same Batman episode (an international hoohaha at a museum ifrc), look carefully to see a bevy of voicers. Coincidence? No. one of the writers on Batman, Stanley Ralph Ross, was also a VO talent of great distinction in the "larynx fellowship".   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[snapback]69238[/snapback]
[/quote]

Aha!  You ARE the other Randy West after all!
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.