Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Moonlighting Announcers  (Read 7265 times)

TimK2003

Moonlighting Announcers
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2004, 08:12:38 PM »
Johnny Jacobs had an on-camera part ina "Munsters" episode in which he draws the winning contestant for a contest in which the kid gets to spend the day with the local monster movie host.
As the plot goes, Eddie is the winner and he finds out that the host is a 'fake' ghoul.

Then of course, we have John Cervenka, who became a host of a spectacular show called "Burt Luddin's Love Buffet" ...   (ducking)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 08:14:48 PM by TimK2003 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Moonlighting Announcers
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2004, 08:18:57 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 06:12 PM\']Then of course, we have John Cervenka, who became a host of a spectacular show called "Burt Luddin's Love Buffet" ...   (ducking)
[snapback]69259[/snapback]
[/quote]
...and is now playing a character named after a femenine hygeine product. Proving that the not-so-mighty can fall just as far as the mighty. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Moonlighting Announcers
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2004, 09:49:49 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 04:59 PM\'][quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Dec 29 2004, 10:52 PM\']Charlie O'Donnell as the news reporter in an episode of Batman
[snapback]69127[/snapback]
[/quote]
If we're thinking of the same Batman episode (an international hoohaha at a museum ifrc), look carefully to see a bevy of voicers. Coincidence? No. one of the writers on Batman, Stanley Ralph Ross, was also a VO talent of great distinction in the "larynx fellowship".   ;-)

Randy West has done a number of commercials.
One of my less recognizeable gigs was providing the serious narration for CourTV's "Hollywood and Crime". I miss that gig; I did it at home in my underwear with the producer in my ear.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[snapback]69238[/snapback]
[/quote]
A couple of stupid questions (I've started my New Year's party one day early ;-) ):

1.  Was S.R. Ross the V.O. heard on the 1966 BATMAN series?

2.  We know Randy's vocal exploits are well-documented (and being way too straightlaced for the room, I won't even add to the "producer in the ear" bit), but, Mr. West, have any of the spots of recent you've done been on-camera?  There's one spot out there that I'd swear there's a guy on who looks very similar--maybe the early start on my New Year's party is getting to me.

Sorry in advance if I've crossed anyone's line.  Not intentional.

Doug -- and the countdown to 900 continues (maybe)
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

The Ol' Guy

Moonlighting Announcers
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2004, 10:24:38 PM »
The narrator on the 60s Batman series was the show's producer, William Dozier. But Randy might know - are we talking the same Stan Ross who put out a 1960s album on Del-Fi of song parodies ala Allan Sherman called "My Son The Copy Cat"? I had that years ago and wish it were still in my collection. It really was quite clever - the same kind of wit one would need to be a writer on Batman.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Moonlighting Announcers
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2004, 10:39:32 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 09:24 PM\']The narrator on the 60s Batman series was the show's producer, William Dozier.
[snapback]69274[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thanks, TOG.  Somewhere in the back of my head I had heard that, but forgot it.

My other question still stands, though.  :)

Doug -- and the countdown to 900 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

BrandonFG

Moonlighting Announcers
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2004, 02:35:42 AM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 04:40 PM\']HARRY:  Wow!  That's some mask!  Let's see your face.
ESTHER:  Watch it sucker!
[snapback]69222[/snapback]
[/quote]

Witch actually made a funny?

(looks outside) Did Hell just freeze over?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2004, 02:36:16 AM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

uncamark

Moonlighting Announcers
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2005, 05:40:55 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 10:24 PM\']The narrator on the 60s Batman series was the show's producer, William Dozier. But Randy might know - are we talking the same Stan Ross who put out a 1960s album on Del-Fi of song parodies ala Allan Sherman called "My Son The Copy Cat"? I had that years ago and wish it were still in my collection. It really was quite clever - the same kind of wit one would need to be a writer on Batman.
[/quote]

Seems to me that they are one and the same.  Ross also wrote some humor books for the Price Stern Sloan people, IIRC.

tvrandywest

Moonlighting Announcers
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2005, 06:08:45 PM »
We know Randy's vocal exploits are well-documented (and being way too straightlaced for the room, I won't even add to the "producer in the ear" bit), but, Mr. West, have any of the spots of recent you've done been on-camera? There's one spot out there that I'd swear there's a guy on who looks very similar--maybe the early start on my New Year's party is getting to me.

I haven't done much on-camera work in commercials; I just have one of those faces (it was on sale).

[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jan 2 2005, 02:40 PM\'][quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 10:24 PM\']The narrator on the 60s Batman series was the show's producer, William Dozier. But Randy might know - are we talking the same Stan Ross who put out a 1960s album on Del-Fi of song parodies ala Allan Sherman called "My Son The Copy Cat"? I had that years ago and wish it were still in my collection. It really was quite clever - the same kind of wit one would need to be a writer on Batman.
[/quote]

Seems to me that they are one and the same.  Ross also wrote some humor books for the Price Stern Sloan people, IIRC.
[snapback]69498[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes, I also think that was Stanley's comedy album. Does anyone have a copy?

Stanley was a great wit. A former New Yorker, over 6 feet tall and an imposing presence with a basso profundo voice. Lesser known fact: Stanley was a part owner of the now gone (and missed) Hampton's restaurant on Highland Blvd a few blocks south of Sunset.

Stanley's voice and presence was greatly diminished by his bout with cancer in the 90s; a cancer that ultimately silenced him.
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

ChuckNet

Moonlighting Announcers
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2005, 09:39:36 PM »
If you check out the Archives section, you'll get a link to part of an ep of the animated Captain Kangaroo segment that Gene Wood wrote/created/produced/sang theme music for, The Adventures of Lariat Sam ("Yippee-yi, yippee-yo, yippee-yippee-yi-ay...").

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 12:29:42 AM by ChuckNet »

tyshaun1

Moonlighting Announcers
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2005, 10:01:02 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jan 2 2005, 09:39 PM\']If you check out the Archives section, you'll get a link to part of an ep of the animated Captain Kangaroo segment that Gene Wood wrote/created/produced/sang theme music for, The Adventures of Lariat Sam ("Yippee-yi, yippee-yo, yippee-ay...").

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")
[snapback]69557[/snapback]
[/quote]

So THAT's where Snoop Dogg got one of his catch phrases from! ;) Who knew, Gene Wood- influence of rap stars today.

Tyshaun

mystery7

Moonlighting Announcers
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2005, 11:03:22 PM »
I'd like to track down a copy of Gene's comedy album "What Would Have Happened IF?" I hear it's bad but still it'd be neat to have if only to hear Gene outside the game show realm, and contrast his comedic style to his friend Bill Dana's.

TimK2003

Moonlighting Announcers
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2005, 09:27:00 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jan 2 2005, 09:39 PM\']If you check out the Archives section, you'll get a link to part of an ep of the animated Captain Kangaroo segment that Gene Wood wrote/created/produced/sang theme music for, The Adventures of Lariat Sam ("Yippee-yi, yippee-yo, yippee-ay...").
[snapback]69557[/snapback]
[/quote]

If you want to hear the actual Lariat Sam theme, swing on over to THIS SITE, and click on the mp3 link near the top.