Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Classic ads for old TV shows  (Read 4386 times)

DrBear

Classic ads for old TV shows
« on: January 02, 2005, 10:36:48 AM »
Hadn't run into this site before now, but at this site there is a multi-page collection of nm the 1950s, as well as ads for a lot of historic shows (Paar's first Tonight Show, Andy Griffith's debut and others). It's for us older folks but you may like it - and you probably won't see the ABC small-a logo more times at one Web site.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

dzinkin

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 10:58:38 AM »
Not sure what happened when you tried to post that, but the correct URL is...

http://knowston.homestead.com/tvgallery1.html

Interesting stuff -- thanks for the link!

uncamark

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2005, 05:16:05 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Jan 2 2005, 10:36 AM\']Hadn't run into this site before now, but at this site there is a multi-page collection of nm the 1950s, as well as ads for a lot of historic shows (Paar's first Tonight Show, Andy Griffith's debut and others). It's for us older folks but you may like it - and you probably won't see the ABC small-a logo more times at one Web site.
[snapback]69459[/snapback]
[/quote]

And a couple of times for the ABC map logo (although the eagle didn't show up).  And I found it interesting that WABC (and the other ABC O&Os, I assume) put the "7" inside the small a logo before the circle 7.

Great stuff.

ChuckNet

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2005, 09:49:36 PM »
Time for me to pull out an Al DuBois quote I used once before...

"Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow!" :-)

Good stuff indeed...and for your B&W Overnight fans, check out the ad for "John Daly w/the News".

Chuck Donegan (The Impressed "Chuckie Baby")

johnnya2k3

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 03:36:20 AM »
Other ads in the pages include some for "Douglas Edwards with The News" before Cronkite took over, "The $64,000 Question", the "See It Now" episode that blew the whistle on Sen. Joe McCarthy, and the "Home Show" with game show regular Arlene Francis (not to be confused with the "Home Show" on ABC a few decades later).

But since we've found a goldmine of '50s TV ads on that site, what about from Canada during that era? I know the CBC was the only television on the air up north until 1961 when CTV signed on.

BTW, for our British folks...2005 will mark the 50th anniversary of ITV. I know prior to that many Brits found watching the BBC as the only channel a lot tiresome.

Jonathan Allen

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2005, 07:15:58 AM »
John Daly and the News at 10:30 pm?

"Dave" Brinkley?

DrBear

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2005, 07:37:38 AM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Jan 3 2005, 02:36 AM\']Other ads in the pages include some for "Douglas Edwards with The News" before Cronkite took over, "The $64,000 Question", the "See It Now" episode that blew the whistle on Sen. Joe McCarthy, and the "Home Show" with game show regular Arlene Francis (not to be confused with the "Home Show" on ABC a few decades later).

But since we've found a goldmine of '50s TV ads on that site, what about from Canada during that era? I know the CBC was the only television on the air up north until 1961 when CTV signed on.

Jonathan Allen
[snapback]69592[/snapback]
[/quote]

1. The "See It Now" McCarthy ad, as has been written in every book on Murrow, was paid for out of their own pocket by Murrow and Friendly after CBS refused to pay for an ad.

2. Don't know of any Canadian sites; the ads seem mostly to be from New York or the Tidewater area of Virginia.

davemackey

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2005, 08:00:05 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jan 3 2005, 08:15 AM\']John Daly and the News at 10:30 pm?

"Dave" Brinkley?
[snapback]69596[/snapback]
[/quote]
I don't know about Dave Brinkley, but the ad for Daly said his ABC newscast was on at 7:15 p.m. for 15 minutes. (An eternity in those early days of tee-wee.)

The one ad that was a grabber was the one that just said "THE $64,000 QUESTION" and had a picture of Jack Benny in it. No other copy. Such was the selling power of TV ads in those days.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2005, 11:50:53 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jan 3 2005, 05:15 AM\']John Daly and the News at 10:30 pm?

"Dave" Brinkley?
[/quote]
It was rumored, as well, that occsionally reporters in the field would pitch back to John Cameron Swayze with the line "Right back atcha, Sparky!" ;)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DrBear

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2005, 12:10:57 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Jan 3 2005, 07:00 AM\']
I don't know about Dave Brinkley, but the ad for Daly said his ABC newscast was on at 7:15 p.m. for 15 minutes. (An eternity in those early days of tee-wee.)

The one ad that was a grabber was the one that just said "THE $64,000 QUESTION" and had a picture of Jack Benny in it. No other copy. Such was the selling power of TV ads in those days.
[snapback]69600[/snapback]
[/quote]

As I remember, Jack's appearance was a goof. He came on with his category of choice, "The Violin." He answered the first question "Who was the famous violin maker from Cremora, Italy," correctly (Stradivarius), and promptly quit with his $64.

If you need to know why this is funny, you are much younger than I am.

uncamark

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2005, 04:57:01 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jan 3 2005, 07:15 AM\']John Daly and the News at 10:30 pm?

[/quote]

The magic of kinescope or videotape, most likely.  Seems that ABC didn't really care when the station cleared it, as long as they cleared it.

"Dave" Brinkley?

Seems to me that in the early Brinkley was called that on the air occasionally, although I would guess that he preferred "David."  Besides, since Chet and David's names were the cues that they used to switch back and forth between New York and Washington, I assume that his preference became known pretty quickly.

And as for that famous closing ("Good night David"--"Good night Chet"), Brinkley once said that he hated it because he thought it made him and Chet sound like "a couple of old fairies."  He said it, I didn't.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2005, 05:03:54 PM »
In the 58-59 season, ABC had John Daly anchoring evening news at 10:30pm Monday-Friday.  Of course John was on CBS at 10:30pm on Sunday with WML.  Don't know what John did on Saturdays.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

uncamark

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2005, 05:19:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jan 3 2005, 05:03 PM\']In the 58-59 season, ABC had John Daly anchoring evening news at 10:30pm Monday-Friday.  Of course John was on CBS at 10:30pm on Sunday with WML.  Don't know what John did on Saturdays.
[snapback]69674[/snapback]
[/quote]

Went to Tilton School reunions or the theater.  :)

DrBear

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2005, 05:47:28 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jan 3 2005, 03:57 PM\']=And as for that famous closing ("Good night David"--"Good night Chet"), Brinkley once said that he hated it because he thought it made him and Chet sound like "a couple of old fairies."  He said it, I didn't.
[snapback]69671[/snapback]
[/quote]
Changed, for Chet Huntley's exit, to "good night, David/good-bye, Chet"
And, for full Horan-ish measure, it was written by Reuven Frank, the producer of the show, who suddenly realized the show needed some sort of ending. He asked who had the last item and was told it was Brinkley. He sat down and typed:
WX (Washington): DAVID: Good Night, Chet
NY CHET: Good Night, David, and good night for NBC News.

When both said they hated it, Frank challenged them to improve upon it. Neither could.

OB Game Show (and boy is this one a stretch): A 1960s comedy satire record, "The Hardly Worthit Report," with actors playing such reporters as Nancy Dickering and Peter Hackne, featured a young actor named Dennis Wholey, who would host "The Generation Gap" before giving way to Jack Barry in his comeback to network TV.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2005, 05:49:45 PM by DrBear »