Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My old 'TPIR' home game  (Read 5154 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
My old 'TPIR' home game
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2004, 01:33:53 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 26 2004, 11:10 PM\']Weren't there Electronic Boutique bargain bins that turned up some of the Sharedata/Gametek/Hi Tech/Box Office game show computer games of the late 80s around 1999 or 2000?
[snapback]68736[/snapback]
[/quote]
*Target* stores had these games on their $5.00 shelf in the mid 90s....Remote Control, Jeopardy, Hollywood Squares being among them.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

uncamark

My old 'TPIR' home game
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2004, 05:49:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Dec 26 2004, 08:34 PM\']Game show home games were a big reason I looked forward to the annual Sears wish book catalog. Always a fine selection in there. Is the wish book still published? And, if so, is it a shadow of its former self?
[snapback]68718[/snapback]
[/quote]

Seems to me that the Wish Book ended publication some years ago, when Sears shut down the catalogue operation where they had initially made their reputation.  Something else that the Internet and shopping channels has squelched (although the Sears division Land's End, which may be sold as a result of the Sears/K mart merger, still sends out a magazine-style catalogue every month and several special editions each year).

ObGameShow:  Spiegel shut down *their* catalogue operation in 1998--one of my first a.t.g-s posts, remembering those 50,000 quality items offering value, selection and savings--Spiegel, Chicago 60609.

sshuffield70

My old 'TPIR' home game
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2004, 08:10:52 PM »
To add to that, Service Merchandise, who was the primary GC giver for "Wheel" during the late 80s has also disappeared.

curtking

My old 'TPIR' home game
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2004, 10:11:58 PM »
I love this topic...

My first home game was one of the Pyramid games back in the mid-1970's.  I saved enough allowance money to purchase it -- for $4.95.  My dad picked it up from Sam Solomon (later to become Service Merchandise).

My neatest find at the time was a shrink-wrapped $128,000 Question game at a store called "Leisure Time" in our local mall.  I found the game in 1981 -- several years after it went off the air.  As I was 11 at the time, most of the high-end questions eluded me, but it was still great fun.

Curt

The Pyramids

My old 'TPIR' home game
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2004, 07:46:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Dec 27 2004, 12:32 PM\']One of the first games I got was the "Joker's Wild" game for Christmas 1972.  The next year I couldn't wait for "Beat the Clock".  Then it was "Concentration", and later "$20,000 Pyramid".  My biggest regret is seeing all of those games in the stores and not buying many of them at the time.  Part of the problem is that nobody else in my family was really interested in game shows and I just sort of played with them by myself, so it lessened the incentive to buy more.  Now, I wish I had!  To date I've only bought one game on e-bay, the 1977 "Break the Bank" game, which I didn't even know existed until I first saw Matt Ottinger's page.  I'd love to get some additional games too, but the high costs of shipping sometimes make them on the pricey side.
[snapback]68772[/snapback]
[/quote]

Sounds like you have a good base already.

ChuckNet

My old 'TPIR' home game
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2004, 08:10:41 PM »
I got a few of my GS home games as Christmas gifts as well:
- WoF (Pressman, both original and Deluxe)
- J! (also Pressman, both original and Electric)
- TPIR (MB, 1986)
- Remote Control

I recall asking for Pressman's version of TNNG, but since my parents didn't see that I just wanted it more-or-less for the sake of collecting (as opposed to playing what would be considered a more "adult" game), it was no go...did score a copy off eBay some years later, though.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Ian Wallis

My old 'TPIR' home game
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2004, 01:51:52 PM »
Sounds like you have a good base already.

Unfortunatly, over time I lost track of a couple of games I had.  I've got a recent version of "Password", but also had one of the much earlier games from the '70s, which I haven't seen in years.  I also had the 2nd edition of "The New Price is Right" home game, but years of playing it when I was younger has left it in very poor condition.  Luckily, most of my other games are still close to mint!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Tony

My old 'TPIR' home game
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2004, 11:11:01 AM »
Okay, now that I'm here...
The year was 1987.  It was the day before my 11th birthday.  I went with my parents on a shopping trip to the nearest Toys "R" Us.  While walking through the games aisle, I asked them for the Deluxe Wheel of Fortune game as a birthday present, but they said no and asked me to pick something else.  So I picked the Electric Jeopardy! game instead.  The next morning, when my other presents were opened, one of them turned out to be the regular edition of Wheel.  Just six days later, when my family spent Christmas at my mom's parents' house, I received a duplicate regular Wheel edition. Of course, Grandma, who lived/lives near Tuscaloosa, AL (we were near Fayetteville, TN at the time) had no idea I would get the same game for my birthday.
Fast-forward to December 2004.  After reading a thread on this forum about comparing and contrasting the various editions of game show home games, I had the idea of searching for Wheel and Jeopardy! board games on Ebay. I recently purchased and received copies of the first Pressman Deluxe and the 2nd Tyco edition of Wheel, as well as an Electric Jeopardy!.  The last one was a replacement for  the one I had as a child (it, along with the Wheel games, was thrown in the trash years ago), but mainly for the signaling buttons to use with my Hasbro/Parker Brothers Jeopardy! game.
I never had any other game show home games.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2004, 11:12:16 AM by Tony »

aaron sica

My old 'TPIR' home game
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2004, 11:22:09 AM »
I had gotten the first WoF home game by pressman for my 11th birthday in 1985.

A year later, with birthday money, I remember going to Toys 'R Us and making a triple purchase:

The Price is Right
Jeopardy!
Wheel of Fortune! Deluxe
I got Electric Jeopardy! for Christmas 1990, I believe..

I also remember finding The $25,000 Pyramid box game at Boscov's in 1987 and being ecstatic; I convinced my mom and dad to buy it for me..

EDIT: In the ironic department, this is post number 1010 for me - my birthday, in which this reply centered around, is October 10, or 10/10. Cue "Twilight Zone" theme music!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2004, 11:23:11 AM by aaron sica »