Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Beverly reports TPIR specials to return.  (Read 6673 times)

Steve Gavazzi

Beverly reports TPIR specials to return.
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2005, 12:09:17 PM »
[quote name=\'OntarioQuizzer\' date=\'Jan 4 2005, 10:53 AM\']I'm also guessing that as a former news director, Steve probably still has quite a few contacts in the business -- people that are likely to give him information because they already know him.
[snapback]69841[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes, like that southern station manager...

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2005, 01:23:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 4 2005, 12:00 PM\']Regardless of your opinions about his methods (or, for that matter, his opinions) one thing you can't begrudge him is that he puts a ton of effort into his site, and part of that has been accumulating contacts.
[/quote]
Not really.  He still hasn't updated his links that are horribly outdated along the right side of his page [Yes, I emailed him; no response....that's probably thanks to the fact I roasted him in a separate e-mail when he brought up some stupid comparison about NASCAR vs. gameshows]. Hell, links to pages on his OWN site are down..and haven't been corrected. Maybe if he spent a little less time hooked up to the ego machine; and more time working on his website; people wouldn't be so discontent with it.  That's not to mention the tacky advertisement he places on his site as a "Story".
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 05:45:33 PM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TunaHead

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2005, 08:34:27 PM »
Exactly. First off, he's still got an October timeline up, as well as an FAQ from October. Links are outdated. Some haven't been updated in a year or more.

I'll give him credit. He puts effort into the site, as long as the information that is posted is in some way beneficial to him. For example, he was all over the KenJen situation, because he knew people would flock to him for stats and whatnot. Case and point, a satellite truck set up for when KenJen lost. More facetime.

Often, he has up about him announcing a basketball game, and updates will be late. All that needs to be posted is the fact that updates will be late, not the fact that he's getting more face time.

And I agree with the previous poster. The site gets so outdated at times, yet immediately, when he gets a headshot of him on a tv show, it is up almost as soon as it airs.

I don't know. I may be one of very few critics of his, and my opinion may be thought to some as too negative, but I too have had e-mails go unanswered. I too have seen the foulups.

I dunno.. Just my opinion.

Don Howard

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2005, 10:07:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 4 2005, 12:00 PM\']Steve has contacts these days in the world of game shows, but I doubt that his previous incarnation as a news director had much to do with it.  Regardless of your opinions about his methods (or, for that matter, his opinions) one thing you can't begrudge him is that he puts a ton of effort into his site, and part of that has been accumulating contacts.
[snapback]69851[/snapback]
[/quote]
I do still get a chuckle over the way how, at GSC-3, while giving his presentation, he would reference the former place of employ of Bob Boden as "GSN--The Network For Games". The inflection in his voice each and every time was precious.

cmjb13

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2005, 06:34:33 AM »
Boy, I really didn't mean to turn this into a mostly Beverly bashing thread, but why stop now.

His retrovision column which looks back in game show history:

One Year Ago
A regular look back at the champions, offbeat finishes, debuts and cancellations of a week from one year earlier.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2005, 06:44:14 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 06:34 AM\']Boy, I really didn't mean to turn this into a mostly Beverly bashing thread, but why stop now.
[/quote]
And witihout fanfare; not 10 minutes later; is this entry changed; but no other.  Simply amazing.
[Side note: That's a picture of Soupy up there?]
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Don Howard

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2005, 06:55:08 AM »
Aw, heck, I can handle the archive....some of it.

30 YEARS AGO: The original Jeopardy! ends an 11-year run with Charlie Chaplin's "Smile (Though Your Heart Is Breaking)" playing over the closing credits. Merv Griffin's Wheel Of Fortune premieres. What's My Line? having trouble clearing stations for an eighth syndicated season.

25 YEARS AGO: Play The Percentages bows in syndication with the rules I wish they'd kept. The big damn percent sign almost rips the stage apart as it rises. Geoff Edwards hosts. Jay Stewart announces. Former TV Tarzan and future Miss America Pageant emcee Ron Ely hosts Face The Music, produced by Sandy Frank.

20 YEARS AGO: Time Machine, a Reg Grundy Production starring John Davidson premieres at 10am ET on NBC. Charlie Tuna announces the first show, Rich Jeffries the next four and then Charlie is back for the duration of the run. John's closing line, "We now return you to 1985".

10 YEARS AGO: Syndicated Family Feud with a mumbling Richard Dawson received a number of time period downgrades in many markets. Syndicated New Price Is Right will cease production and end its run in one month.

5 YEARS AGO: The temporary game show renaissance is on! Within days, an unfixed all-multiple choice Twenty One with Maury Povich will premiere on NBC. Along the way, they'll be countless time period switches, the live band will be dropped, the payout structure will be changed and Maury will shed his ties. Winning Lines, CBS's venture into the potential million-dollar victory fold, bows in prime time starring Dick Clark and The Wonderwall!!!

Maybe tomorrow I'll write a column.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 07:00:40 AM by Don Howard »

sshuffield70

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2005, 11:44:23 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 06:34 AM\']Boy, I really didn't mean to turn this into a mostly Beverly bashing thread, but why stop now.

His retrovision column which looks back in game show history:

One Year Ago
A regular look back at the champions, offbeat finishes, debuts and cancellations of a week from one year earlier.
[snapback]69975[/snapback]
[/quote]

The real "Retrovision" column is on the front page.  All the others are the generic what you wrote.  Evidently, your stupidity is showing.