Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Millionaire Losers  (Read 7591 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Millionaire Losers
« on: January 13, 2005, 09:58:54 PM »
After watching a season three repeat from last week, (the first Monday of September is not Columbus Day), I wondered how many contestants over the years have truly earned the sobriquet "llama" by missing the $100 question.  I know of Robby and Brian, and the guy who took up the entire last act of the show I was watching, but were there more?
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

Millionaire Losers
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 11:54:37 PM »
"Start spreading the word..." *BZZZ*

$100 asks about the word that completes the line "Start spreading the..." in the song "New York New York". The contestant said "word" instead of "news". I think that was $100.

Marc412

Millionaire Losers
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 01:01:20 PM »
I seem to recall a contestant losing out on a $100 question about what Little Jack Horner pulled out of his Christmas pie.  He guessed a blackbird, not a plum.  (I guess he might have confused Little Jack Horner's pie with the one from "Sing a Song of Sixpence", which mentions "4-and-20 blackbirds baked in a pie".)  Or is that the one Travis is talking about?

Kevin Prather

Millionaire Losers
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 07:41:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Marc412\' date=\'Jan 19 2005, 10:01 AM\']I seem to recall a contestant losing out on a $100 question about what Little Jack Horner pulled out of his Christmas pie.  He guessed a blackbird, not a plum.  (I guess he might have confused Little Jack Horner's pie with the one from "Sing a Song of Sixpence", which mentions "4-and-20 blackbirds baked in a pie".)  Or is that the one Travis is talking about?
[snapback]71948[/snapback]
[/quote]

That would be Brian Fodera, on the show following Dan Blonsky's big win.

And yes, he did, indeed, have "Four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie" in mind.

Brian later returned for the ABC $0 special, and was the first contestant in the hot seat. After Regis stopped him from walking away before answering the first question, [;-)] he went on to win $16,000.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 07:43:10 PM by whoserman »

StevensM

Millionaire Losers
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2005, 05:20:22 PM »

Brakus

Millionaire Losers
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2005, 12:38:29 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jan 19 2005, 07:41 PM\']That would be Brian Fodera, on the show following Dan Blonsky's big win.

Brian later returned for the ABC $0 special, and was the first contestant in the hot seat. After Regis stopped him from walking away before answering the first question, [;-)] he went on to win $16,000.
[snapback]72007[/snapback]
[/quote]

Of course Rosie O'Donnell gave him a new car the morning after that episode aired. *rolls eyes*

Upon seeing another $0 winner this week, I'm wondering, will (daytime) Millionaire do another Tournament Of Losers ($0) special like they did on ABC? Considering the show will be in production for a few more years, I'd think it's likely, but how about you all?
"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. THAT is the secret of life." -- Iskandar, King of Conquerors (Fate/Zero, Fate/GO)

Peter Sarrett

Millionaire Losers
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2005, 02:40:56 AM »
Syndicated Millionaire did a Zero Dollar Winners Week in their first season.  They didn't do one last season, and I haven't heard of one being filmed this season.

People always like seeing someone get a second chance, so it wouldn't surprise me to see them do it next year, now that they've got a bunch of candidates stacked up.

ClockGameJohn

Millionaire Losers
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2005, 02:50:00 AM »
I remember a question (fairly sure it was a $100 question) early on in the run that was incorrectly answered:

ONE FISH, TWO FISH, RED FISH, ________ FISH

a.  Green
b.  Blue
c.  Yellow
d.  Flounder?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Millionaire Losers
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2005, 03:29:40 AM »
By my count, they've had enough $250,000+ winners to have a Return of the Champions week, too...two winners, two with $500k, a dozen or so with $250k...it'd be great.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Millionaire Losers
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2005, 11:37:10 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Jan 28 2005, 01:29 AM\']By my count, they've had enough $250,000+ winners to have a Return of the Champions week, too...two winners, two with $500k, a dozen or so with $250k...it'd be great.
[snapback]73447[/snapback]
[/quote]
I suspect Peter won't argue much over that notion either. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

goongas

Millionaire Losers
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2005, 12:33:55 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 28 2005, 12:37 PM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Jan 28 2005, 01:29 AM\']By my count, they've had enough $250,000+ winners to have a Return of the Champions week, too...two winners, two with $500k, a dozen or so with $250k...it'd be great.
[snapback]73447[/snapback]
[/quote]
I suspect Peter won't argue much over that notion either. :)
[snapback]73467[/snapback]
[/quote]

I wouldn't hold my breath.  I had read that during the prime time version, the producers focus grouped or did a survey about the champions of Millionaire tournament and found out that people didn't like the idea of big winners winning more money.

uncamark

Millionaire Losers
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2005, 12:43:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Peter Sarrett\' date=\'Jan 28 2005, 02:40 AM\']Syndicated Millionaire did a Zero Dollar Winners Week in their first season.  They didn't do one last season, and I haven't heard of one being filmed this season.
[snapback]73445[/snapback]
[/quote]

They're pretty much done taping for the season.  Could happen next year.

Peter Sarrett

Millionaire Losers
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2005, 12:56:29 PM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'Jan 28 2005, 09:33 AM\']I wouldn't hold my breath.  I had read that during the prime time version, the producers focus grouped or did a survey about the champions of Millionaire tournament and found out that people didn't like the idea of big winners winning more money.
[snapback]73476[/snapback]
[/quote]

Don't tell the folks over at Jeopardy!-- they seem to think a Tournament of Champions is a dandy idea.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Millionaire Losers
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2005, 01:25:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Peter Sarrett\' date=\'Jan 28 2005, 10:56 AM\'][quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'Jan 28 2005, 09:33 AM\']I wouldn't hold my breath.  I had read that during the prime time version, the producers focus grouped or did a survey about the champions of Millionaire tournament and found out that people didn't like the idea of big winners winning more money.
[snapback]73476[/snapback]
[/quote]
Don't tell the folks over at Jeopardy!-- they seem to think a Tournament of Champions is a dandy idea.
[snapback]73481[/snapback]
[/quote]
I don't think that was quite his point, though. On a show like J!, where contestants compete against each other, there is a desire to see the best play against each other to see who El Jefe really is. On Millionaire, it's all solo players playing against the house, so that aspect of things doesn't exist.

Now, if Millionaire were to develop a format where the former champions all sat in a Deluxe Ring Of Fire or something (think, a bunch of isolation booths), and worked off of the same stack of questions (using lifelines individually and when desired, according to the game rules), last man standing wins, that could be something interesting...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

sshuffield70

Millionaire Losers
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2005, 01:28:33 PM »
Believe it or not, I've been toying with just such an idea for a couple of years.  I question whether it would require isolation booths, and it would probably function a bit differently scoring wise.  I envisioned a strike system instead of lifelines.